Something lagging my game in VR

Wolf8312

Hey never used to have this problem since the recent update (tried stable and am now on beta). I loaded up the instant action spitfire mission and its lagging something terrible with fairly moderate settings. Just wondering if this is common on a system like mine. I'm thinking its maybe too much flak or something else?

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 3696 Mhz, 1080Ti, 32 GB RAM, Win 10

Edited by Wolf8312

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

Which HMD? Long shot, but I have recently experienced huge regular CPU spikes/lag which I eventually narrowed down to the input sensor on my G2. The spikes only started when the HMD was on my head and returned to normal with it off. I changed my Mixed reality input settings to manual and it's now fine. 

Asus Z790 PLUS WIFI D4, 13700K RTX 4090 FE, M2. HP Reverb G2.

Mixed Reality settings (bottom left of Portal window)/Headset display/Input switching......Change to Manually switch using Windows logo. 

I should add that In FPS VR the spikes were evenly spaced and consistent with the sensor activated/HMD on my head.

Edited by oz555
  • Thanks 1

Asus Z790 PLUS WIFI D4, 13700K RTX 4090 FE, M2. HP Reverb G2.

Maybe because you suck at reading 🙂 The answer is literally in the two posts above yours !

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

5 hours ago, Wolf8312 said:

No I'm on the index so none of that applies to me unfortunately.

Have you tried deleting fxo and metashader files ? Lowering the cloud quality ? Were you running the same mission before the update ? I have read before of flak being problematic , thus the last question .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Yes deleted all that stuff and clouds on low. Wondering if it may be my system as I seem to rememeber the game Rage lagging when it never had before though it was in 4K so was hard to determine if it was a problem or just an especially taxing part of the game. Running a benchmark now to see if things are working okay. It is the game itself (DCS) that is lagging I can see it both in VR and 2D so..

Didn't try that (airfield strike) particular mission before the update but others seem to be doing poorly too.

Edited by Wolf8312

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

Benchmark came back clean with nothing out of the ordinary. It may be that DCS needs to be reinstalled after such a big update but I'd really rather not if I can help it as its such a slow process that may well do nothing....

------------

True that . Tried a "long" repair ?

Rule of thumb I've found is to go through Thud's VR4DCS.com checklist and see if that fixes things. 

On my Reverb G1, it was forcing the system to Dx11 mode. On my Vibe Pro 2, it turned out to be turning off Windows Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling. 

For you, it may be something completely different, but it's worth going through the checks. 

9 hours ago, Voyager said:

Rule of thumb I've found is to go through Thud's VR4DCS.com checklist and see if that fixes things. 

On my Reverb G1, it was forcing the system to Dx11 mode. On my Vibe Pro 2, it turned out to be turning off Windows Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling. 

For you, it may be something completely different, but it's worth going through the checks. 

I don't think its a VR problem as  I can see the stutters occuring in 2d mode as well and haven't really changed any settings from what I used to use.

23 hours ago, Svsmokey said:

True that . Tried a "long" repair ?

Not sure if it was a long repair but I used the update tool and did a repair with no positive gains. Might have to bite the bullet and reinstall!

------------

This is a longshot, but have you looked on your Windows Update page to see if your system is caught in a rectal-cranial loop with trying to download an automatic update?  I've had that happen to me a couple of times.  I found it by accident after having tried all kinds of the usual things you would do to fix performance issues.  Nothing else I did revealed anything, and it had just started with the issues out of the blue.  Its amazing how much performance it can eat up when it gets caught in an attempted update loop like that.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I'm doing a full reinstall. I'll let you guys know when its done, and if not will look into the windows update loop thing. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

------------

• 3 weeks later...

Hello guys!

The reinstall didn't work. I tried MSFS and had the same problem then started looking for other causes rather than DCS. Turns out it was my new expensive gaming keyboard with all the LED's. I've disabled it for now and am typing this on a vastly inferior dell keyboard (you do notice the difference after using a better one). So that was it. Performance looks smooth and the game itself looks greately improved with many small details (air raid sirens, subtle spotting aids, etc) added so can't wait to give it a proper try when I get time. Be wary of fancy keyboards with VR if you have any problems! Shame about the keyboard though.

------------

Just wondering if you were to open task manager while dcs is running to see if something/app is turning on and off or like said above checking for updates. It wouldn't hurt to try. Maybe check internet connection/router. 

Edited by Burt

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2021 at 11:52 PM, Burt said:

Just wondering if you were to open task manager while dcs is running to see if something/app is turning on and off or like said above checking for updates. It wouldn't hurt to try. Maybe check internet connection/router. 

Sorry didn't check responses as I was bummed out for a while! Seems that the recent update has fixed the problem. Could still be a little better maybe but vastly better than it was which is a relief.

------------

Nah its working fine now. Gotta say the game itself is greately improved WW2 side. Appreciate a lot of the new missions to play, and the sounds and damgage model make it so much more harrowing and atmospheric to fly now. I always believed that once it ironed out the wrinkles it would be the best WW2 flight sim on the market because at the end of the day no other game can compete with the fidelty of the DCS aircrafts. Its not even close to be honest. Haven't checked the campaigns yet though...

------------