Hind has become my favorite aircraft to fly. Here’s what I want improved.

S. Low

It’s difficult to go back and fly the other helos because I’m enjoying the hind so much, but I do switch back because of some aggravations with the hind. Here’s the main list for me:

1) 30mm nose cannon needs HE rounds

2) you need to implement a frag damage system to go along with your concussion damage system. The majority of the gunship experience relies on area effect weapons

3) I know you’re working on petrovich but he really needs a couple big improvements: iff, better target Identification range, and wider scan area.

4) I know damage model is WIP, I’m just saying module quality will increase a lot with improved damage. Taking a couple rounds and then having the aircraft start wobbling uncontrollably while it dives for the earth isn’t great. It’s either that or my pilot dies and I have no idea that my pilot is dead. I did have a left engine get damaged once and cause reduced RPMs which required a rolling landing, that was awesome.

5) a few specific bugs like multicrew desync causing tail boom to fall off, and AP/ trim bug

6) quality of life improvement to change radio presets via knee board or ground crew comms at base

I think that’s all of them.. There are other imperfections but this list affects me every time I fly the hind. It’s a great module but these improvements will make it legendary

🙂

edit: 7) trees block rockets and missiles

Edited by S. Low
  • Like 5

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

I'm really really hoping the hind coming out and soon apache etc will 'force' Ed to address fragmentation damage etc.

I like the module.. but a couple of the areas that need help need it desperately and unfortunately as you said they're major factors for helicopters. I.e. fragmentation; infantry models and behavior.

I just really hope it is addressed; I haven't heard anything either way.  Of course a natural problem to this is how far can ED realistically go down the road with the two items I named?  It's a flight sim after all; emphasis on flight.  And while those issues are major major to helos they're not so much for fixed wing.  Though fragmentation would benefit everyone all around and is line with a damage overhaul.

Edited by sublime
  • Like 1

Totally on board with fragmentation effects and would love to see suppression scripted.  With all the helos coming out this year, CAS is going to need to see some improvements. 

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPU - Intel 8088 @ 4.77 MHz; Memory - 128KB; 360KB double-sided

5 1/4" full-height floppy disk drive; 10MB Seagate ST-412 hard drive

JG-1 MiG-21bis Checklist

The hind has become my favorite helicopter to fly as well - flight characteristics wise (which is strange considering I had so much reservations about it earlier). 😆

What I'm not liking as much is it's age. The KA50 is far superior to deal with many threats on the servers that I fly, where the Hind has to get too close and get's shot down. Maybe this will improve with Petrov improvements I don't know - but it really has me looking forward to the Apache. I'm hoping it's going to be the best of both worlds. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dangerzone said:

The hind has become my favorite helicopter to fly as well - flight characteristics wise (which is strange considering I had so much reservations about it earlier). 😆

What I'm not liking as much is it's age. The KA50 is far superior to deal with many threats on the servers that I fly, where the Hind has to get too close and get's shot down. Maybe this will improve with Petrov improvements I don't know - but it really has me looking forward to the Apache. I'm hoping it's going to be the best of both worlds. 

The age and style of gunship is just exacerbated by the stuff I mentioned in the OP, especially the AP ammo instead of HE for the 30mm cannon, and lack of frag damage with the rockets. I hopped back in the ka-50 and the 30mm is very effective even without the properly modeled frag damage because the concussion damage is enough to give it a slight area of effect capability, so at 4km I can lob rounds and hit trucks or light armor and take it out. If the Hind's 30mm cannon had HE ammo, with how stable and accurate it is, wew lad, it'd be really destructive.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

As important is the meat jacks inside vehicles.

If you are under attack and you happen to be a truck driver middle of open field, you better run away as that vehicle will have bad time. And it doesn't move anywhere until someone dares to get inside to drive it.

Be inside a MBT and those shells are knocking hard at you, telling that you have been seen and you are a target and there can be coming something far more nasty in any second. Why you drive like a F-1 driver to somewhere safe with smoke screen and all.

If you are in a lightly armored vehicle that gets near by hits, you are doing same as you don't want a single hit on you. You drive away, far far away to deep safe forest to be safe by being hidden.

Getting shot is getting shot. Even without armor penetration or K-kill, you can get injured crew or people. You need to protect the vehicle regardless all the armor, as damaged one means you can't perform your duties and task, and you just risked your fellows changes to fight. So protect the vehicle by all possible means.

That means the meat jacks inside a vehicle will have other things in their mind when they are under fire, than just chill or fight like nothing is happening.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

1 hour ago, fargo007 said:

In to learn what a "meat jack" is. 🤔

People...

• Thanks 1

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

That aside, Fri13 has a point.

People are meat sacks, and have to be careful not to let other people make big holes in the sack through which all the contents can leak out.

That means most people of sound mind will put not developing holes in their own meat sack above making holes in other people's meat sacks.

"Incoming" generally means heads down, not guns up.

• Like 1

Cheers.

1 hour ago, Weta43 said:

"Meat Sack" is people. It's a noun.

Meat Jack is something else. It's a verb.

Autocorrect should have consulted You 😉

1 hour ago, Weta43 said:

"Incoming" generally means heads down, not guns up.

If it would just work so, that on the spotting the threat that is attacking you, first you take cover before you engage.

There are rules that does do opposite, like MBT's will quickly learn that they have armor and firepower to deal some sudden threats quickly and so on take a offensive position. But it requires that personnel knows that there is no threat to be shot at, or there is no cover where to go. Why smoke screens becomes valuable tactic to generate concealed area where you can at least avoid getting aimed at so easily. 

But it is totally different to be a inside APC than it is to be inside a MBT with frontal armor toward threat.

Ref your point 4), they've set a new benchmark for damage modelling with the WWII stuff. The Hind should get the same treatment eventually. Lets face it, this module isn't going to fade into obscurity. It will just keep getting better, especially as infantry units are improved. So they need to get this damage model working well. I would expect a good few years from now, there will be a Hind 2 upgrade, as we've seen with the Ka-50 and A-10.

• Like 2

Valve Index | RTX 3070 Ti (Mobile) | i7-12700H @ 2.7GHz | 16GB RAM

ugh it's just so frustrating taking one 12.7 round while I'm at like 2000ft , not hearing anything, and just poof I'm on fire and spinning literally out of control. Can't auto rotate or use the winglets to dive down or anything. Back to spawn to come out and try again, but the only thing I can use that's semi-effective is the ATGM which has just slightly longer range than the gaz hot3. The nose gun is *almost* useless. I need to let it sit for awhile before I get mad at it. Just go back to flying the ka-50 etc. 

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

You are having a very different experience from mine. I can absorb usually dozens of 12.7 rounds with little or no effect (as it more or less should), and the cannon is absolutely terrific.

Maybe you are applying Ka-50 tactics to the Hind, which isn't going to work. (on the other hand, I found you can definitely apply Hind tactics to the Ka-50, which may be always be wise but it is a lot more fun!)

Well no, I try to identify a threat, approach and once in range, fire then break away. But in particular the server I play on has a lot of near-peer type threats so if Pete doesn't see a target and I end up getting accidentally within AAA range then bad things happen. But damage is very inconsistent which I guess is realistic based on what combat vets have said so whatever, but sometimes I can absorb a chunk of fire, and other times I'm going down in flames from a single shot. My primary irritation here is that I'm losing absolute control the aircraft. I should be able to auto-rotate or use the aerodynamics of the aircraft to try and dive down and slide or something. The silly out of control wobble is just frustrating. 

But I've yet to find the AP 30mm useful at all. Having to be pinpoint precise with the nose gun is just no where near as effective as having HE. And to utilize the rockets I need to basically get direct hits, and always within range of return fire which regularly puts my aircraft out of commission, whether I break hard and level or break hard and dive down to try and get behind tree line.

I prefer FLYING the hind to the shark. I just want the weapons to be better and the damage model to be better lol.

Basically I want the apache 😆

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Ha. Well, I have found that fast cannon runs can be very effective, although yes, I am not yet a sniper with it and I am often getting closer than I'd like. If you're taking too much return fire, suppressing the targets with rockets does work to some degree. I'm not sure why or how exactly, but there is a point where enemy units tend to not fire for a while, even if you pass pretty much directly overhead. This isn't going to help you a whole lot if Rolands are picking you off from just out of range, but it certainly works against APCs and IFVs of all types, sometimes AAA, etc. If you are very quick and accurate, I have successfully outdueled Vulcans more than a few times.

On 7/21/2021 at 10:54 PM, unipus said:

Ha. Well, I have found that fast cannon runs can be very effective, although yes, I am not yet a sniper with it and I am often getting closer than I'd like. If you're taking too much return fire, suppressing the targets with rockets does work to some degree. I'm not sure why or how exactly, but there is a point where enemy units tend to not fire for a while, even if you pass pretty much directly overhead. This isn't going to help you a whole lot if Rolands are picking you off from just out of range, but it certainly works against APCs and IFVs of all types, sometimes AAA, etc. If you are very quick and accurate, I have successfully outdueled Vulcans more than a few times.

Reason units are not firing if you go straight over them is because time to turn turret is modelled in DCS. This is how I actually do gun/rocket runs on APC (not with BMP-3 though, those 30 mm are deadly). Stay low, hidden, fast. Pop up, fire and continue straight as fast as possible. after 5 seconds start jinking slightly just to stay safe. 

• Like 1