OMFG!!!!! IT WORKS!!!!

Allentc2

So I just finished getting SteamVR and the Reverb G2 set up and "flying" three times. Still a lot of work to do BUT OMG HOW F'ING COOL IS IT?!?!?! The cockpits in the A-10C, F-16C, and F/A-18 are absolutely mind blowing!!!! I also used the G2's controllers to successfully jettison my canopy and eject. LOL I am giddy, forgive me.

Can anyone share some setting tips for WMR/SteamVR/DCS to get the most out of it? Ryzen 9 5900X/ AMD RX 6800 XT if that helps. I think I just defaulted to the DCS VR video settings. And I still need to figure out how to make my VKB rudder pedals work. They show up as a controller but I still gotta learn to map controls, etc. 

I am still giggling about this. Holy shit, what a hoot!!!! I like sticking my head completely out of the canopy, like someone took the family dog on a flight. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I need to know,

Do you hang your tongue out and drool?:biggrin:

Welcome to VR!

Forget all you knew,

DCS has complete control over all you see and hear,

Enjoy the ride!

Just don't puke on the side of the aircraft!🤣

Cheers!

• Like 1

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

I need to know,
Do you hang your tongue out and drool?

Welcome to VR!

Forget all you knew,
DCS has complete control over all you see and hear,
Enjoy the ride!

Just don't puke on the side of the aircraft!
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

I have no idea what Re-Size Bar does, but I'll give it a whirl. LOL And I'll see about the axis. All of this is new to me, so I'm learning as I go along. LOL

And I hang my tongue out and drool on a NORMAL day, let alone today.

• Like 1

with VR being where it is, and only getting better.. the quality and variety of periphereals available (plus the DIY options, 3d printing, etc).. and of course titles like DCS... we're entering a new golden age of sims like we haven't seen since the 90s

• Like 2

👍

Welcome to the dark side!

• Thanks 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Love your enthusiasm. Keep it up. There are many wise guys, oops, I mean VR gurus who post in this forum who have invaluable info about tuning your system. Don’t get carried away at first or you won’t have time to fly and enjoy the sim, but believe me, their advice works. Speed of Heat is a good place to start as he has done a lot of testing and compiled a lot of info on mods and tuning. In any case, welcome!

i9 11900KF, RTX 3090 24GB G DDR6X, 1TB SSD, 64GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3400MHz, Reverb G2.

That's why we have VR.  So we don't have to watch the doom and gloom of the news.  

I'll second what Don said and say welcome to the dark side.  Your free cookie will be coming to you shortly.  Please allow 6-8 weeks for delivery.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I love reading posts from guys new to VR 🙂

It's impossible to explain , and must be experienced to be believed .

wait 'till catch yourself doing something dumb because you actually think you're in the aircraft...

Edited by Svsmokey
  • Like 1

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

2 minutes ago, Svsmokey said:

wait 'till you do something dumb because you actually think you're in the aircraft...

Well, not dumb per se but I did reach up to rub a smudge on the canopy. 🤣

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Allentc2 said:

Well, not dumb per se but I did reach up to rub a smudge on the canopy. 🤣

Yep , i tried to shade an mfd with my hand . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

3 hours ago, Svsmokey said:

wait 'till catch yourself doing something dumb because you actually think you're in the aircraft...

Yeah I swear I still have that same feeling every time I climb into the Hornet cockpit cold and dark on the Super Carrier and bring her to life.

I am just in utter awe really.

And I have been doing this in VR since Jan 2017. It never gets old - ever.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

welcome to VR OP!!!  So awesome to hear your reaction.  Reminds me, (and others), of our initial reactions as well. Cool beans!!!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Mar 2019 here , and you're right . It never gets old . Just taxiing to the runway is a thrill . I feel as if i'm controlling a powerful machine , no less than i did on a bada** motorcycle . 

Amazing

59 minutes ago, dburne said:

Yeah I swear I still have that same feeling every time I climb into the Hornet cockpit cold and dark on the Super Carrier and bring her to life.

I am just in utter awe really.

And I have been doing this in VR since Jan 2017. It never gets old - ever.

Edited by Svsmokey
  • Like 1

Call it VR boot camp. It took me a few weeks to start enjoying it. 

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

Enjoy. I have used VR for DCS since the day I started.

I tried 2D with head tracking recently and couldn’t get on with it.

I use Cougar MFD’s with a buddy fox UFC alongside a Warthog HOTAS. Once you start reaching for those buttons instinctively it brings another layer of immersion to VR.

Edited by Rogue.

A-10C IQT Badge.jpgA-10C BAQ Badge.jpg

Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS RoG Strix Z670E-F | Corsair iCue H170i Elite LCD AIO | ASUS RoG Strix OC RTX 4090 24GB | 64GB Corsair DDR5 5600 Dominator Platinum RGB | Samsung 980Pro M.2 SSD 1TB & 2TB | ASUS RoG Thor Plus Platinum II 1000W | Win 11 | Varjo Aero | Corsair iCue 7000X | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Thrustmaster TPR Pedals | Thrustmaster Cougar MFD's | Buddy Fox UFC | Razer Tartarus V2 | Monstertech Bench Mounts

Once you've tried VR you won't want to go back to the screen.

Just had a cable failure on my G2 over the weekend. Can only run in 60Hz. The flicker is slightly annoying so I tried to go back to TrackIR. After 10 minutes decided I can put up with 60Hz flicker and went back to the headset.

HP support was great and a new cable is on its way to me. Talking to the support guy, they have improved their cables and apparently failures have dropped by 90%. When I bought it originally, the cable failed within two weeks. HP sent out a new cable then as well but according to their records, it was still the old type. Here's hoping 3rd time lucky.

Should also add to those starting out in VR that I find Voice attack to be indispensable. When you cant see keyboards etc a quick verbal command like "gears up" can be so useful as well as being able to perform multiple actions and adding VAICOM to it improves the radio usage

Edited by Nickrs

On 7/16/2021 at 3:34 PM, Svsmokey said:

Yep , i tried to shade an mfd with my hand . 

I tried actually saluting the deck crew on launch 🙂

11 hours ago, Nickrs said:

Once you've tried VR you won't want to go back to the screen.

Just had a cable failure on my G2 over the weekend. Can only run in 60Hz. The flicker is slightly annoying so I tried to go back to TrackIR. After 10 minutes decided I can put up with 60Hz flicker and went back to the headset.

HP support was great and a new cable is on its way to me. Talking to the support guy, they have improved their cables and apparently failures have dropped by 90%. When I bought it originally, the cable failed within two weeks. HP sent out a new cable then as well but according to their records, it was still the old type. Here's hoping 3rd time lucky.

Should also add to those starting out in VR that I find Voice attack to be indispensable. When you cant see keyboards etc a quick verbal command like "gears up" can be so useful as well as being able to perform multiple actions and adding VAICOM to it improves the radio usage

Might consider adding a service loop. After my first cable shorted and waited about a month for the replacement, I swore never again.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

On 7/16/2021 at 7:26 PM, Allentc2 said:

I had my fiancé give it a whirl. While not much into computers/flying/etc. she did say her stomach felt it when the F-16 banked, etc. 

Yeah, I've had people tell me (after trying VR flight for the first time), that they could feel the g-forces or pressure changes on their ears... lol. It is immersive!

Edited by lobo

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook current version 8D available here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/