Sweet Spot question

Darpa

My first head set was the Vive. I got it when it first came out. It was a good headset for the time but it definitely had a very noticeable sweet spot as well as other well known challenges . A few years ago, when the Index was introduced, I was going to get it but it took so long to become available in my country I eventually just ended up buying a Rift S. I now have had my eye on a G2 for quite some time and recently even a Vive Pro 2... but my hesitation in making any purchase has been the sweet spot discussions I keep reading about.

With the Rift S, for whatever reason, I have been very thankful that I do not have a sweet spot. I can look anywhere and the image is good which was a huge improvement over the Vive in that regard. I am clearly aware of the resolution and FOV advantages (as well as other things) with newer and better headsets but I keep reading that people have sweet spot issues with G2 and Vive Pro 2 and I am not sure I want to face that again. 

Did I just get lucky with my Rift S? Maybe the IPD and lens position is just perfect for my head,  or is this just one aspect of the Rift S that was better. Are the G2 and Vive Pro 2 sweet spot concerns as valid as they seem to be or am I reading too much into this. Thanks for any input.

• Like 1

Having tried/owned both, the sweet spot on both the G2 and the Vive Pro 2 are on the small side, but they are both very sharp when you're in it. Honestly it was never an issue for me as I usually just turned my head to look at something rather than just eyeballing it. The FoV in the Vive Pro 2 did not blow me away. If I wasn't using the headset back to back I doubt I'd have noticed a difference.

The best sweet spot headset I've ever used is a Pimax 8KX. It's not as sharp as the G2 or the Vive Pro 2 but the clarity is consistent across almost the entire view space.

It is a “small” sweet spot, but, if your headset is well adjusted, it just works…

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

2 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

It is a “small” sweet spot, but, if your headset is well adjusted, it just works…

Same for me. I have both Reverb G2 and Vive Pro 2. VP2 may be slightly better but they are both pretty close.

If you have to buy the whole VP2 Kit, I would suggest Reverb G2 due to the lower cost of the device. If one already has the Lighthouse tracking system, then VP2 headset only may be worth giving a shot.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

On 7/16/2021 at 10:08 PM, Darpa said:

My first head set was the Vive. I got it when it first came out. It was a good headset for the time but it definitely had a very noticeable sweet spot as well as other well known challenges . A few years ago, when the Index was introduced, I was going to get it but it took so long to become available in my country I eventually just ended up buying a Rift S. I now have had my eye on a G2 for quite some time and recently even a Vive Pro 2... but my hesitation in making any purchase has been the sweet spot discussions I keep reading about.

With the Rift S, for whatever reason, I have been very thankful that I do not have a sweet spot. I can look anywhere and the image is good which was a huge improvement over the Vive in that regard. I am clearly aware of the resolution and FOV advantages (as well as other things) with newer and better headsets but I keep reading that people have sweet spot issues with G2 and Vive Pro 2 and I am not sure I want to face that again. 

Did I just get lucky with my Rift S? Maybe the IPD and lens position is just perfect for my head,  or is this just one aspect of the Rift S that was better. Are the G2 and Vive Pro 2 sweet spot concerns as valid as they seem to be or am I reading too much into this. Thanks for any input.

Hi Darpa,

I don't think you were lucky, Reverb G2 here and coming from RiftS.

Oculus headsets are the best for sweet spot concern (except Pimax ones, but I've never tried...) particularly for fresnel lenses. The first time I put on the G2, I was a bit shocked by the smaller sweet spot. Now, I got used to it, it's not that terrible.

But still, good sweet spot and controller tracking are the only two things I miss from the RiftS. The G2 is far superior in every other aspects.

"An optimist is a guy who plants two seeds and runs to buy a hammock"

Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | 32Go Corsair Vengeance 32Go DDR5 6000Mt/s CL30 | MasterLiquid ML360R | Corsair NVMe M.2 1To x2 | Seagate 2To SATA III | TM Warthog stick base w/ F/A-18C grip + WW Orion 2 throttle w/ F/A-18C grips | FSSB R3 L w/ TM F-16C grip + TM Viper TQS | MFG Crosswind V3 w/ damper kit | Meta Quest 3 128Go | Dell S2722DGM

Mirage 2000C | F/A-18C | F-16C | Su-33 | Mig 29 | Supercarrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandie 2.0 | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai