FFB Trimming

Hey guys, still working on precision flying with my sidewinder ffb2 stick. 

1) So I've read the proper way to maneuver is to hold the trim button down then make your maneuver then release the trim. The problem is, as soon as you press the trimmer button, all the force feedback suddenly disappears, so all you have is a limp stick. This makes flying the machine very hard because it goes from having pressures on both axis holding the stick in place to instantly there's no feedback at all and the stick just flops over.

Is this happening to other with FFB sticks? It would seem to me to make sense the ffb would just stay put where it was when you pressed it until you released it and then it would hold the new position.  

2) another weird thing that happens is if i tape the trimmer button, helicopter tends to lurch forward much farther than the location i pressed the trimmer. this happen to anyone else?

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

4 часа назад, dresoccer4 сказал:

1) So I've read the proper way to maneuver is to hold the trim button down then make your maneuver then release the trim. The problem is, as soon as you press the trimmer button, all the force feedback suddenly disappears, so all you have is a limp stick. This makes flying the machine very hard because it goes from having pressures on both axis holding the stick in place to instantly there's no feedback at all and the stick just flops over.

Is this happening to other with FFB sticks? It would seem to me to make sense the ffb would just stay put where it was when you pressed it until you released it and then it would hold the new position.  

2) another weird thing that happens is if i tape the trimmer button, helicopter tends to lurch forward much farther than the location i pressed the trimmer. this happen to anyone else?

Hello. Yes, this is exactly how the trimmer works for me on the G940FFB. I just trim the helicopter just like the Mi-8 - with single clicks trim button.

• Like 1

You'll get the hang of it!
Here's a little app that can help you a little, so the stick doesn't go totally limp, if you don't like that.
Cheers!

https://github.com/joeyjojojunior/simFFB

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 7/16/2021 at 9:50 PM, dresoccer4 said:

The stick going 'limp' is exactly how it is for any FFB stick, and also the real aircraft.

It should maybe be only a little damped (you may not be able to feel it depending on your stick). But it goes limp until you release trimmer, then stays in the position you trimmed it to.

On 7/16/2021 at 9:50 PM, dresoccer4 said:

It may be the Pitch Autopilot acting once you release the trimmer. It'll always try to keep pitch the same as when you released the button, regardless of how the stick is trimmed. But with limited authority while at that.

On 7/17/2021 at 2:50 AM, dresoccer4 said:

Proper and proper... I've seen some clips of the Ka-50 flying IRL, and the way I usually flew (has been a few years now), was to repeatedly click the button until you have your desired attitude. That way you end up with a less limp stick and more of a controlled transition.

Not sure about your second point, perhaps you build up momentum prior to trimming?

My DCS stream

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Past broadcasts, Highlights

Currently too much to do... But watch and (maybe) learn something :)

Proper and proper... I've seen some clips of the Ka-50 flying IRL, and the way I usually flew (has been a few years now), was to repeatedly click the button until you have your desired attitude. That way you end up with a less limp stick and more of a controlled transition.

Not sure about your second point, perhaps you build up momentum prior to trimming?
Yeah, but I keep holding it pressed though. One gets used to it. It's the same for all the helis but the Gazelle for me. I think my style is due to the "limp" center of the FFB2. It has no dead zone at all for the sensors, but it's not tight enough in the center, for lack of better words. So if I repeatedly keep trimming I always tend to overcompensate. All four of mine has the exact same issue. And I've seen others on various forums that report the same.
Well, one of these days I'm gonna mate a couple of them together and fix things.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

On 7/16/2021 at 10:36 PM, STONE SKY said:

Hello. Yes, this is exactly how the trimmer works for me on the G940FFB. I just trim the helicopter just like the Mi-8 - with single clicks trim button.

Seems like that's how at least some of the Russian Ka-50 pilots do it as well. Listen for the trim clicks in this video:

• Like 2

http://www.reddit.com/r/hoggit

Hoggit 1st Fighter Wing

Weekly training missions on Tuesday nights, missions on Saturdays!

TS3: hoggit.us