Does the sim take into account lift from winglets?

its supposed to if you fly the training mission its states it in there? so do you even have the Mi24?

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

DCS MI24 is great. Only the MI24P is an old COLD WAR helicopter. (Agility is slow) The flight model and the helicopter itself are not performing well. But DCS is a game and shouldn't be compared to a real MI24. Great for an ordinary game

Edited by lee1hy

creator of ED's official F-16C liveries (WP,OS, 132nd, 152nd, 174th)
AH-64D livery contest winner 😅
kim_123456#3214

My user files https://shorturl.at/cdKV5

On 7/17/2021 at 3:06 PM, 71st_Mastiff said:

so do you even have the Mi24?

What difference does that make? Not everyone does the training missions. I'm one of them. I'd rather read up on the various Hind systems I don't know about than sit through a training mission which wastes time by including things I already know. I'm sure I'm not the only one. So if you know the answer then great, provide it, but no need to be a nob about it.

• Like 2

Jeez I was just asking. Don’t get you’re pantyhose in a wad. 

2 hours ago, Goffik said:

What difference does that make? Not everyone does the training missions. I'm one of them. I'd rather read up on the various Hind systems I don't know about than sit through a training mission which wastes time by including things I already know. I'm sure I'm not the only one. So if you know the answer then great, provide it, but no need to be a nob about it.

• Like 2

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

On 7/17/2021 at 12:53 AM, DmitriKozlowsky said:

Does the FM takes into account translational lift (fwd flight) of winglets? I recall in one of many Afgan docu's, MI-24 crews at hot-high locations, took off downhill , in a manner like a conventional aircraft or glider launch.

Really interesting question.  I believe the downhill takeoffs were to increase airflow through the rotor.  I believe the winglets are ineffective at low speed.  Maybe a real pilot can chime in.

I remember someone once saying the wings make the Hind more stable at high speed.  Also, in the BBC documentary posted here last week, they say wings take stress off the rotor at high speed and prolong engine life.  

In the sim, I have had an entire wing shot off.  Didn't feel a change in flight characteristics.  Was it because the FM is WIP?  Or was it because I was flying too slow?  Not sure.

I own only 2 DCS helos, Ka50 and Mi24.  When the Ka overspeeds the rotor blades snap off.  For the Hind, there is sudden shaking.  Reducing the collective to zero makes the aircraft very controllable(and makes my panic go away).  When that happens it feels like the wings are giving 20% lift.  

For fixed-wing aircraft it is said anhedral wings increase roll rate and help slow turning planes turn better.  When I got the Hind turns felt sluggish and uncomfortable.  I started putting rudder into my turns and that just made everything worse.  Now I have learned to sharply roll the Hind and make cyclic only turns.  Perhaps the wings increase roll on the Hind also.

• Like 1

HORNET/VIPER/HARRIER/SABRE/FISHBED/FROGFOOT/HOKUM/HIND/JUG/ISHAK

K-50 rotor blades snap off because as speed increase rotor thrust become more and more asymetrii. So blades which are moving at heli's direction, makes higher thrust due to added heli's air speed and blades which are going back to the tail have their air speed reduced by heli's speed. So right hand side blades are bend up and left hand blades get bend down

K-50 has counter rotating rotors so on the right side upper rotor is bend down and bottom rotor is bend up at certain speed they just hit each other 🙂

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Translational lift is normally associated with the rotor only. With increasing forward speed from hover to bucket speed, the required power is decreasing, resulting in more lift/speed for the same power setting. The wing serves for off-loading the rotor at higher speeds. I can imagine the winglets are added to the wing as an additional wing segment with appropriate lift/drag characteristics.

On second thought, the Hind's wings are primarily meant to carry the weapons...

Edited by Wrcknbckr
  • Like 1

Ka-50:

Top blades are retreating to the right side and droop down or level as they have less to zero lift as speed increases.

Bottom blades are advancing on the right and lift strongly as they have maximum lift as speed increases.

Both upper and lower blades close the gap between themselves on the right side as velocity increases... it is the weak point on the Kamov.

At maximum velocity you only bank left in the Kamov to evade trouble, banking right is suicide. Even a twitch of indecision to the right is suicide.

You can get supreme speed with the Kamov with a little left turn.

With a touch of the pedal you can also pull the top and bottom rotors apart on the right side... at cost... but worth it.... worth every degree of pedal.

Most do not understand the Kamov, they are militarized by the book kind of guys.

The KA-50 is a stunning achievement in aerodynamic rotor craft.... Simply Stunning.

I am starting to wonder if the chopper Apex was met at the genesis of DCS world.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

On 7/21/2021 at 12:00 AM, dfpoor said:

Really interesting question.  I believe the downhill takeoffs were to increase 

In the sim, I have had an entire wing shot off.  Didn't feel a change in flight characteristics.  

You know I got to fly her first time since update today.  She felt so much easier to fly than before and I had a wing shot off.  Interestingly I was still able to control her very easily and even land. Idk if winglet loss is modelled in the FM yet because it made me suspicious not I could keep flying but that I could keep flying and engaging the enemy and then land.  Moreso it felt easy - sure a lot is probably FM fixes but idk.  You'd think that having one wing and not the other would have made the helo very unstable.  I landed in a hover.  Well vague hover (drifting alot) but not a running landing.

However I do think the wings are def modelled in the FM Im just not sure if damage to them is or if it's just cosmetic 

I too definitely seem to notice them as I gain speed and I get 'lift'..

Edited by sublime