How do YOU do desk HOTAS mounts?

chumpnut1323

I would like some advice on how you have your desk HOTAS mounts setup, pics are welcomed. I just received my Foxx mounts and I've been playing around with where to put my stick. 

I've had it setup on my right side, as most of what I read, is more ergonomic, rather than in between my legs. I'd have to agree with that, although my elbow wants to droop down, signaling I may need an arm rest(I currently don't have a chair, with arm rests on it). My test to figure out what position is better is air to air refueling, I got contact but couldn't stay with the tanker in both positions. When the stick is placed in between my legs, my elbow can rest on my body, giving me more support and stabilization. 

Also, do you setup differently for when flying choppers? I was thinking of just having the stick in between my legs, so I wouldn't feel as if I had to switch it over every time I fly something different. F16 is the only module I have, with the stick on the right side of the cockpit. 

I'm guessing, its just going to take time for my body to re-learn the HOTAS positions and gain muscle memory for me to feel comfortable again, but I wanted to start a topic on this to see what everyone else does, as well as, help others out if they have questions. 

-Thanks 

Edited by chumpnut1323

• chumpnut1323 changed the title to How do YOU do desk HOTAS mounts?

I don´t think the side stick is more ergonomic unless you have a 30º reclined backrest and armrest like the actual Viper cockpit and a sensor force base which leads to minimum stick displacement. Or a 3d printed, RS part to tilt forward the stick.
If the stick is flat parallel to the floor, pulling up puts a lot of strain in your wrist.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

wish i had a pic from a little more of an angle, but also an 80/20 setup (a monstertech knockoff?)  

51173606036_1c15c73fea_z.jpg

the left panel is also clamped to the desk, you just can't see the clamp.  its probably right near the limit of what it should hold without breaking my cheapo desk.

the center is actually lower now, and i 3d printed an extension for the joystick.  i'm building a right panel, but instead of clamping to the desk, i'm going to make it a roller cart, which maybe i'll be able to put the left console into?  this desk is also my home office, and the kids play games there too so i have to be able to pack the whole thing up. 

the left console is just one usb, the main console is usb, power, hdmi, and the right will be usb+power, (plus power+usb out for the jetseat)

when i finally build a collective, i think i might need to either mount it to the chair, or get a new chair that's more accommodating?