PLAAF and JF17 IRL A-A Missiles..

sublime

I'm just curious as I don't know much about either..

How common is the SD10 IRL?  Is it a Chinese or Pakistani missile?  

Does the JF17 ONLY use SD10 IRL - it has no other say Fox1s?

What's the PLAAF use for those ? Russian copies?

Sd10 is known as the PL12 in chinese service if that's what you are asking. Pakistan also operates vipers with amrams and sidewinder IIRC. 

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

5 hours ago, sublime said:

I'm just curious as I don't know much about either..

How common is the SD10 IRL?  Is it a Chinese or Pakistani missile?  

Does the JF17 ONLY use SD10 IRL - it has no other say Fox1s?

What's the PLAAF use for those ? Russian copies?

The PLAAF has mostly ouyphsded Fox 1s but they use the PL-11, which is a license built version of the Aside which is a modification of the Sparrow, the JF-17 currently does not use any other long range missiles then the SD-10 and thus it used regularly, however the PL-15 (300km range) is rumoured to be tested on the Block III

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Harlikwin said:

Sd10 is known as the PL12 in chinese service if that's what you are asking. Pakistan also operates vipers with amrams and sidewinder IIRC. 

Do they use Russian FAB series bombs?  Or what's their designation?  I always thought it odd the jf17 defaulted with the mark series of bombs.

What does China use for fox 1s?

5 hours ago, Kerbo 416 said:

The PLAAF has mostly ouyphsded Fox 1s but they use the PL-11, which is a license built version of the Aside which is a modification of the Sparrow, the JF-17 currently does not use any other long range missiles then the SD-10 and thus it used regularly, however the PL-15 (300km range) is rumoured to be tested on the Block III

Isn't the pl15 the one that's supposedly for killing AWACs and can be sat guided?  What fox 1s do they use?  Bomb types?

SD-10 is the export 'version' of the PL-12, and there are certain differences in electronics.  

The PL-15 is far too small for a 300km range - it's probably being confused with PL-21 or something else.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

12 hours ago, sublime said:

Do they use Russian FAB series bombs?  Or what's their designation?  I always thought it odd the jf17 defaulted with the mark series of bombs.

What does China use for fox 1s?

Isn't the pl15 the one that's supposedly for killing AWACs and can be sat guided?  What fox 1s do they use?  Bomb types?

As I said PL-11 fox 1, as for bomb types check out this article 

http://www.ausairpower.net/APA-PLA-GBU.html

46 minutes ago, GGTharos said:

SD-10 is the export 'version' of the PL-12, and there are certain differences in electronics.  

The PL-15 is far too small for a 300km range - it's probably being confused with PL-21 or something else.

The PL-15 is a ramjet missile that is quite long, though 300km is probably a bit optimistic, I'd personally put the actual range at 150-250km

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Kerbo 416 said:

The PL-15 is a ramjet missile that is quite long, though 300km is probably a bit optimistic, I'd personally put the actual range at 150-250km

It is reportedly a dual thrust solid rocket missile, which would make it boost-sustain (some sources say dual pulse, which is different but still solid rocket).  There are no intakes for a ramjet anywhere.  We don't even know the mass of this missile, never mind other attributes.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

7 hours ago, GGTharos said:

It is reportedly a dual thrust solid rocket missile, which would make it boost-sustain (some sources say dual pulse, which is different but still solid rocket).  There are no intakes for a ramjet anywhere.  We don't even know the mass of this missile, never mind other attributes.

What about the air breathing solid fuel rocket thing? (I forget the technical term), but decomposes solid fuel t a fuel air mix and burns that.

6 hours ago, sublime said:

What's this conjecture I've read about satellite control?  Is that advertised?  Because how else would anyone know..?  

I mean once you go down the "datalink" rabbit hole far enough, its all about signal strength and latency. So assuming you have "strong" enough sat, in the right place, at the right time, its not that far fetched. However, sats in LEO move damn fast over the horizon. Constellations like starlink... Hmmm... It reeeks of DARPA...  Reusable LV's do too fwiw... Lots of dual use tech "in space". Imagine "starship" having the capability of landing a battalion of "troops" anywhere on the planet within 30minutes? Think thats not something the pentagon has thought long and hard about?

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

8 minutes ago, Harlikwin said:

What about the air breathing solid fuel rocket thing? (I forget the technical term), but decomposes solid fuel t a fuel air mix and burns that.

I mean once you go down the "datalink" rabbit hole far enough, its all about signal strength and latency. So assuming you have "strong" enough sat, in the right place, at the right time, its not that far fetched. However, sats in LEO move damn fast over the horizon. Constellations like starlink... Hmmm... It reeeks of DARPA...  Reusable LV's do too fwiw... Lots of dual use tech "in space". Imagine "starship" having the capability of landing a battalion of "troops" anywhere on the planet within 30minutes? Think thats not something the pentagon has thought long and hard about?

I've heard this conjecture before with alot of good points at how the almost frenetic pace also seems to indicate a darpa type thing going on with it. 

It'd give incredible bombing capability too

4 hours ago, Harlikwin said:

Ducted rockets still require an air intake.

4 hours ago, Harlikwin said:

It could just mean that it's GPS enabled.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2021 at 2:26 AM, sublime said:

I always thought it odd the jf17 defaulted with the mark series of bombs.

IIRC Deka said that Pakistan had they're own series of bombs, but it would be the same as the Mk. series of bombs, so no diference.

3 hours ago, paco2002 said:

IIRC Deka said that Pakistan had they're own series of bombs, but it would be the same as the Mk. series of bombs, so no diference.

Thats what I'm curious about.  Also I'm more interested in what China uses. Sure functionally I'm sure a Fab250 and Mark 82 are very similar but I'm still curious what their designation and looks are.  It's been surprisingly hard to just search online

9 minutes ago, sublime said:

Thats what I'm curious about.  Also I'm more interested in what China uses. Sure functionally I'm sure a Fab250 and Mark 82 are very similar but I'm still curious what their designation and looks are.  It's been surprisingly hard to just search online

China doesn't uses the JF-17. Here it is a photo with some of the armament.

12-139 - Pakistan - Air Force Chengdu / Pakistan Aeronautical Complex JF-17  Thunder at Zhūhǎi-Jīnwān | Photo ID 844332 | Airplane-Pictures.net

I know china doesn't use it. I'm still asking about the PLAAF however.  I also know what the JF can carry.  Again I don't care about Pakistani armaments etc.  Im curious what the PLAAF uses for fox 1s etc and dumb bombs.

3 hours ago, sublime said:

I know china doesn't use it. I'm still asking about the PLAAF however.  I also know what the JF can carry.  Again I don't care about Pakistani armaments etc.  Im curious what the PLAAF uses for fox 1s etc and dumb bombs.

Probably nothing for Fox1, they were outdated when it was built it might be compatible with the PL-11 series but its pure conjecture. Presumably it could carry other PL series fox2's but again, till you see it carrying one its a guess. Same thing for dumb bombs, those things have to tested and cleared for carriage and since pakistan is the primary operator, well they are the ones doing the weapons integration.  

Edited by Harlikwin