AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) Implementation

Personally, I think that FSR will be an incredibly useful addition to DCS, especially for people with lower end computers.

Disclaimer: I'm not a developer so this information may not be accurate, please take it with a grain of salt.

What is FSR?

As I understand it, FSR, or FidelityFX Super Resolution, is AMD's alternative to Nvidia's DLSS. Both make the game look like it's running at a higher resolution than it really is, albeit with different methods. For example, the game can render at 720p, but FSR will increase the resolution and fill in the blanks to produce a 1080p output. 

It's a way of improving frame rates while trying to have a minimal impact on graphics quality. Everyone can benefit from it, especially those with lower end computers.

So it's AMD's technology? What about Nvidia users?

Unlike Nvidia's DLSS, which only works on high-end Nvidia cards, FSR will work on a much wider range of devices, including Nvidia ones. It will work on the Radeon RX 400 and up, Ryzen 2000-series APU's, as well as Nvidia's GTX 10, 16, and RTX 20, and 30 series cards. Also unlike DLSS, FSR is open source and not proprietary. 

How difficult would it be to implement?

For other games, it has taken from as low as two hours to as long as a few days. Of course, DCS doesn't use a common game engine like Unity or Unreal, so it would likely take longer, but from what other developers have been saying it seems relatively straightforward to implement.

Conclusion

I'm sure I, as well as many other DCS users would greatly benefit from FSR being added to DCS, as it would be an excellent way of improving performance for everyone, while taking (apparently) only a small amount of effort to implement. Thanks.

For more information, check out AMD's page on FSR.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Personally, I think that FSR will be an incredibly useful addition to DCS, especially for people with lower end computers.

Disclaimer: I'm not a developer so this information may not be accurate, please take it with a grain of salt.

What is FSR?

As I understand it, FSR, or FidelityFX Super Resolution, is AMD's alternative to Nvidia's DLSS. Both make the game look like it's running at a higher resolution than it really is, albeit with different methods. For example, the game can render at 720p, but FSR will increase the resolution and fill in the blanks to produce a 1080p output. 

It's a way of improving frame rates while trying to have a minimal impact on graphics quality. Everyone can benefit from it, especially those with lower end computers.

So it's AMD's technology? What about Nvidia users?

Unlike Nvidia's DLSS, which only works on high-end Nvidia cards, FSR will work on a much wider range of devices, including Nvidia ones. It will work on the Radeon RX 400 and up, Ryzen 2000-series APU's, as well as Nvidia's GTX 10, 16, and RTX 20, and 30 series cards. Also unlike DLSS, FSR is open source and not proprietary. 

How difficult would it be to implement?

For other games, it has taken from as low as two hours to as long as a few days. Of course, DCS doesn't use a common game engine like Unity or Unreal, so it would likely take longer, but from what other developers have been saying it seems relatively straightforward to implement.

Conclusion
I'm sure I, as well as many other DCS users would greatly benefit from FSR being added to DCS, as it would be an excellent way of improving performance for everyone, while taking (apparently) only a small amount of effort to implement. Thanks.

For more information, check out AMD's page on FSR.

In the meantime you can get a first glance at it here: fholger - Modified OpenVR DLL with AMD FidelityFX SuperResolution Upscaler
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=74365&share_tid=276638&url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums%2Eeagle%2Eru%2Findex%2Ephp%3F%2Ftopic%2F276638-fholger---Modified-OpenVR-DLL-with-AMD-FidelityFX-SuperResolution-Upscaler&share_type=t&link_source=app

Beware results may vary and I think it works best above rendering resolution of 1440p or higher. Up scaling from anything below yields mixed results and the performance cost is there.

One way or another, one of these optimization oriented technologies needs to find its way in DCS, officially. I recently switched from 2D to VR and I found the compromise to image quality (or fps) quite staggering. It's simply a waste, to have options like that and not use them, in a game as graphically demanding as DCS.

• Like 2

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro