P-47D-40-RA "Tallahassee Lassie" walkaround album

An excellent photo album of a wonderful P-47 restoration including detailed cockpit images can be found here: Facebook.

You can also access the Facebook album via Randy's Warbird Profiles: P-47-40-RA Thunderbolt. (There are fewer photos on the website).

Many of the photos are also here: Republic P-47D-40-RA Thunderbolt – History, Culture, Arts, Technology by Randall Malmstrom (wordpress.com)

This was a serendipitous discovery for me. Randy Malmstrom's name came up in my newsfeed because I work at Malmstrom AFB, named for Randy's cousin Col. Einar Axel Malmstrom.

I found this image particularly interesting because of the red cover on the rocket selector.

P-47D-40 with rocket control.jpg

Edited by Thunderbolt Lightfoot
  • Like 3

thanks OP, great stuff!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

21 hours ago, Thunderbolt Lightfoot said:

An excellent photo album of a wonderful P-47 restoration including detailed cockpit images can be found here: Facebook.

You can also access the Facebook album via Randy's Warbird Profiles: P-47-40-RA Thunderbolt. (There are fewer photos on the website).

Many of the photos are also here: Republic P-47D-40-RA Thunderbolt – History, Culture, Arts, Technology by Randall Malmstrom (wordpress.com)

This was a serendipitous discovery for me. Randy Malmstrom's name came up in my newsfeed because I work at Malmstrom AFB, named for Randy's cousin Col. Einar E. Malmstrom.

I found this image particularly interesting because of the red cover on the rocket selector.

P-47D-40 with rocket control.jpg

That red switch might jettison the bazooka tubes.

Check this thread out:

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/266167-jettison-bazooka-tubes/?do=findComment&comment=4727898

Also just noticed the primer switch next to the starter switch!

I guess instead of manually pumping a few times you just flip the switch for a few seconds!!!  That’s pretty neat!

Edited by Barrett_g

I've seen the primer switch in the early P-47N Pilot's Flight Operating Instructions too, in illustrations showing what I think is a P-47N-1 panel because the electric bomb release panel under the parking brake is also shown (ie, not the HVAR counter). The illustrations in the P-47N PFOI and training manual do not have the primer pump handle. 

I've also noticed an empty hole next to the starter on P-47D-30-RA S/N 44-32691, an airframe produced at the same Evansville, Indiana plant as the P-47D-40-RA series. That's only an observation...not a conclusive statement about primer switches equipped in either variant. But as similar as the P-47D-40 was in many regards to the early P-47N blocks, I think it is very likely that the P-47D-40 should have an electric primer. Interestingly it seems the D-40 should also have the primer pump handle -- which I'm basing on surviving P-47D-40s including 44-90368 (displayed as P-47D-30 "Tarheel Hal") pictured below. Restorations are a tricky reference though.

P-47_Thurnderbolt_002.jpg

Edited by Thunderbolt Lightfoot

3 hours ago, Thunderbolt Lightfoot said:

I've seen the primer switch in the early P-47N Pilot's Flight Operating Instructions too, in illustrations showing what I think is a P-47N-1 panel because the electric bomb release panel under the parking brake is also shown (ie, not the HVAR counter). The illustrations in the P-47N PFOI and training manual do not have the primer pump handle. 

I've also noticed an empty hole next to the starter on P-47D-30-RA S/N 44-32691, an airframe produced at the same Evansville, Indiana plant as the P-47D-40-RA series. That's only an observation...not a conclusive statement about primer switches equipped in either variant. But as similar as the P-47D-40 was in many regards to the early P-47N blocks, I think it is very likely that the P-47D-40 should have an electric primer. Interestingly it seems the D-40 should also have the primer pump handle -- which I'm basing on surviving P-47D-40s including 44-90368 (displayed as P-47D-30 "Tarheel Hal") pictured below. Restorations are a tricky reference though.

P-47_Thurnderbolt_002.jpg

Yeah it’s hard to pinpoint these changes on restorations… especially flying examples.

Was the electric primer added to the P-47D-40 towards the end of the European theater… was it added during the Pacific theater once the P-47N came out… was it added after WW2 altogether when the P-47’s were flown by ANG units… or was it added by a current day pilot to make flying a bit easier?

Have you seen the “No Guts No Glory” P-47’s cockpit?  It doesn’t resemble a historical P-47 at all!!!  They’ve modernized it quite a bit to make current day flying easier.  Kind of a shame, actually!