ADF Morse Code Question

Viciam1

Hi guys,

Quick question. Whenever I tune in a frequency into an aircraft for ADF directions..I get the morse code beeping. How do I know that morse code signal is for the beacon I want to tune into. For example if I want to fly to Batumi and the beep im getting is . _ . _ .. is there like a fact sheet within dcs I can look at to confirm thats the code for batumi and i am dialed into the correct one?

Thanks in advnace.

it might be the editor which shows more info than F10. I don't see a specific included chart which would have it. Normally if you were expecting to use the NDB either as a landing aid or an en route aid you would have a chart which would spell out the Morse pattern. That's not part of the standard set of DCS charts (F10 or kneeboard).

You're close, L is *_** and U is **_. There should be a long pause before it repeats. Maybe an experienced aviator would just know that by heart.

27 minutes ago, Frederf said:

it might be the editor which shows more info than F10. I don't see a specific included chart which would have it. Normally if you were expecting to use the NDB either as a landing aid or an en route aid you would have a chart which would spell out the Morse pattern. That's not part of the standard set of DCS charts (F10 or kneeboard).

You're close, L is *_** and U is **_. There should be a long pause before it repeats. Maybe an experienced aviator would just know that 

Edited by pmiceli

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

On 7/20/2021 at 7:02 PM, Viciam1 said:

Quick question. Whenever I tune in a frequency into an aircraft for ADF directions..I get the morse code beeping. How do I know that morse code signal is for the beacon I want to tune into. For example if I want to fly to Batumi and the beep im getting is . _ . _ .. is there like a fact sheet within dcs I can look at to confirm thats the code for batumi and i am dialed into the correct one?

You do now by listening the code, either if you actually know Morse (A A I for the one you posted, not much looking as Batumi code but maybe it is since inner and outer markers feature different codes) or checking at the charts as nowadays all the charts do feature Morse codes for the beacons since it's probably not mandatory any more to know Morse code by heart as in old times (in civil flight at least). In DCS I believe all the beacons does have their codes noted down in the kneeboard beacons' list. If not by default, there are kneeboards out there with that information, same as frequencies and everything.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

This is what it looks like on a real world en route chart

image.png

However, In DCS you can see the identifiers for all the Non-Directional Beacons on the F10 map and you only need to stick a copy of the international morse code on your kneeboard to be able to decipher the ID signal.

image.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 7/20/2021 at 8:02 PM, Viciam1 said:

Hi guys,

Thanks in advnace.

You dont. There are radio nav charts where there are written the morsecode to verify that the beacon is functional. But that's irl,ive been asking for months for charts tho.