Russia Showcases "Checkmate", An F-35 Competitor?

SCHiZO

The Russian Federation debuted its 5th generation single engine fighter just outside of Moscow. The fighter has been dubbed "Checkmate" and was showcased in a Sukhoi pavilion. The UAC (United Aircraft Corporation) presented the airframe to the press and commented the Checkmate to be, "low visibility and high flight performance." aircraft and incorporating "a combat radius of 1,500 kilometers, the largest thrust-to-weight ratio, shortened takeoff and landing, more than seven tons of combat load, which is an absolute record for aircraft of this class."

Russia intends to source Checkmate to eastern nations such as India and Vietnam for starters. Of course this is a few years down the road as it's first flight is expected in 2023 and deliveries in 2026. The intention of this aircraft is to be a competitive option for those who opted out of the JSF Program for whatever reason. At least that is how it appears to me. I received this information from CNN and the source link will be posted below. Feel free to discuss Checkmate and Russia's ambitions with this new aircraft.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/20/europe/russia-checkmate-fighter-jet-unveiling-intl/index.html

5 hours ago, SCHiZO said:

The UAC

They can do as they like, but if they start poking around Mars, we need a global intervention.

5 hours ago, SCHiZO said:

Of course this is a few years down the road as it's first flight is expected in 2023 and deliveries in 2026.

Yeah, they do that a lot, see: their supercarrier, nuclear powered super cavitating torpedo, infantry powered armor, etc. I never had any idea wooden mockups and scale models were so lethal on the modern battlefield!

• Like 3

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

I’m a bit confused about the record for range and payload.  When compared to the (wiki) stats for the F35 (which I assume is considered it’s key competitor), the Check has 25% longer combat radius, but a lower weapon payload.

Did I miss read something?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

38 minutes ago, Mr_sukebe said:

I’m a bit confused about the record for range and payload.  the Check has 25% longer combat radius, but a lower weapon payload.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if it carries less tonnage shouldn't it be able to remain in the air longer?

25 minutes ago, Mr_sukebe said:

I’m a bit confused about the record for range and payload.  When compared to the (wiki) stats for the F35 (which I assume is considered it’s key competitor), the Check has 25% longer combat radius, but a lower weapon payload.

Yes, you miss the fact this aircraft doesn't exist. It may exist in the future if everything will go as planned. 

It's performance are marketing rounded assumptions before the real engineering challenges and required compromises took their toll in the real (not mockup) plane.

The only thing i know is it's planned engine, which is hoped to be ready in 2025, will have less power than today's F-35 so it will have to be lighter than F-35 to have similar T/W ratio. When F-35 is planned to receive even more powerfull, 45,000lbf (200kN) class, adaptive cycle engine in a few years.

In short you can use any data you want in the advertising materials for every futuristic project, but reality is verifying every plan.

• Like 3

Sukhoi Su-75 walk-around

Edited by Андрей_Андреевич

Комплекс «Андреич 84» производства УзССР с ЦБВМ «Аналитик-Т», РЭБ «ПОЭТ-МА 21В», ПрНК «Jameson 23» производит поиск цели типа «Т» для взятия на АС и последующего ТО согласно ИЭ книги «К», а так же для нерегламентированных работ.

12 hours ago, dali said:

yeah...like f-35 delivered on time, on budget, on advertising materials

To be fair, every new generation of aircraft since the beginning ran over budget and had various teething issues, including most of the widely acclaimed ''classics''. That aside, I've said it before and I'll say it again : the STOVL F-35B was a stupid thing to do and is almost definitely responsible for the bulk of its development issues.

12 hours ago, dali said:

and now US is building something that looks like YF-23 spinn-off

Last thing I saw was some mockups/renders of a possible 6th gen hybrid ''optionally manned'' aircraft, but that's been a while.

the Russians have no imagination the design and similar to the F-35 it will surely be much faster than an F-35.
it takes Italian engineers who can give that touch of fantasy in the design and a pinch of innovation. as the engineer BARTINI did a long time ago.

27 minutes ago, Xilon_x said:

the Russians have no imagination the design and similar to the F-35 it will surely be much faster than an F-35.
it takes Italian engineers who can give that touch of fantasy in the design and a pinch of innovation. as the engineer BARTINI did a long time ago.

I think the desire for ultimate stealth is pushing all new fighters to look similar. F35, F22, su-57, This "checkmate", the concept tempest (UK) and some Chinese ones I don't know the name of. They have differences for sure, this checkmate is more of a delta wing etc etc, but the similarity is not down to lack of aesthetic design. Its not a car...

Edited by Hoirtel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoirtel said:

Penso che il desiderio di furtività definitiva stia spingendo tutti i nuovi combattenti a sembrare simili. F35, F22, su-57, questo "scacco matto", il concetto tempest (UK) e alcuni cinesi di cui non conosco il nome. Hanno sicuramente delle differenze, questo scacco matto è più un'ala a delta ecc. ecc., Ma la somiglianza non è dovuta alla mancanza di design estetico. Non è una macchina...

as in FORMULA 1 that the cars all look the same, only small details change.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Xilon_x said:

Aerodynamics is a finite science = there is a ''best'' way to design your aircraft dependent on its targeted mission profile (subsonic, high alpha, etc etc). The 1950s/60s era of experimentation and ''learning'' is long over. Aircraft are looking more and more similar because all the guesswork is gone and people choose a design which is beat suited for whatever they're needing the plane to do, which is often some variation of a ''blend'' to minimise disadvantages and maximise advantages.

Likewise, radar emissions are a finite science : it works a certain way that is well understood. Virtually all military aircraft, even if not stealth persay, take design cues from it because there is no good reason to make your aircraft ridiculously visible and MANY reasons to minimise its signature.

23 hours ago, Xilon_x said:

Waste time, money, and limited weight allowance on ''being stylish'' @@ Aircraft look sleek and fast not to be ''stylish'' but because it's actively conducive to being a high performance aircraft. Their ''style'' is an incidental byproduct of their design NOT a deliberate focal point, even in one off civilian designs practical considerations come first.

• Like 2

In principle, I agree with the point that the maths is now known and will tend to make designs more generic.

does make me wonder how Boeing ended up with the F34 (their competitor to the Lockheed F35).

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Just an observation.

Going on what the mock-up displays, the intake could be relatively restrictive in maintaining airflow at AoA that could be expected in manoeuvre combat. Also the all moving V-tail has a hinge line that could cause blanking at high AoA similar to a T-tail, being blanked by airflow.

I fully understand that this isn’t really representative of a production article - many things can change - but as it is there seem to be a few design choices that aren’t really conducive to manoeuvrability. 

It will be interesting to see what this airframe becomes, but I think unless it undergoes a large layout change, it could be at a handicap straight off the bat.

Edited by G.J.S
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

10 hours ago, TotenDead said:

Fun fact: this "mock up" as you call it is actually the plane that will fly in 2023.

If it can't fly for *at least* two more years, than it is almost definitely one of the very first prototypes. The first few in any given series are usually non-flying testbeds. If it was close enough to the finished product that that SPECIFIC AIRFRAME would fly, then it wouldn't be two years away. Aircraft are like DCS modules : until it's wheels up everything is subject to change.

this is a real aircraft

If it can't fly, it is the literal opposite of an aircraft.

not fully build yet

IE ''does not exist yet''. We know.

It's always funny watching the nationalists rush out to defend the long list of paper projects proposed by the RF @@

21 hours ago, Mr_sukebe said:

In principle, I agree with the point that the maths is now known and will tend to make designs more generic.

does make me wonder how Boeing ended up with the F34 (their competitor to the Lockheed F35).

Eh, there's always that one tryhard who wants to be different 😛 I think you mean the X-32, right? It's a bit odd looking from certain angles with the nose scoop which is fairly uncommon on US designs these days, but otherwise it's a pretty straightforward blended delta like most other modern presentations.

• Like 3

24.07.2021 в 11:08, Mars Exulte сказал:

If it can't fly for *at least* two more years, than it is almost definitely one of the very first prototypes.

No shit it is

The first few in any given series are usually non-flying testbeds.

If it was close enough to the finished product that that SPECIFIC AIRFRAME would fly, then it wouldn't be two years away.

Prototypes for ground tests are being tested atm and those tests are to be finished by the end of the year

If it can't fly, it is the literal opposite of an aircraft.

Whatever you call it, it wont become worse or better. That very plane is planned to take off and that's not my words, but what's claimed by its creator

IE ''does not exist yet''. We know.

You're free to hide in denial up until it flies

On 7/21/2021 at 11:47 AM, Mr_sukebe said:

Its talked of having a longer range than Eurofighter, which to me is complete insanity, considering how relatively small it is. It doesnt look much bigger than grippen.

On 7/21/2021 at 8:18 PM, dali said:

yeah...like f-35 delivered on time, on budget, on advertising materials 🙂

and now US is building something that looks like YF-23 spinn-off 🙂

Well, if you study the history of the F-35 from design stage, it's hard to beat as a design Cluster FCUK.

Seriously, when an L.M guy ask why a vortex is attracted to a zone of lower pressure (from the strake inlet to the dorsal fin) instead of spreading outward in a leaked slide, you wonder if they haven't financed the further education of some newbies they recruited in their design team hoping they could do better.

Just in passing, the topic of airflow expension and compression is covered in the beginer's aerodynamics course for 16 years old who want to get a grant, so you can expect some well paid technician and aerodynamicist to be more aware, a couple of years down the road and you have the transonic and supersonic topics covered...

They also used CATIA from conceiptual design stage, can someone please explain to me how they couldn't get flow simulation to work with it...

https://www.3ds.com/partners/products/100000000001407_PDT00000000362_FLUENT_for_CATIA_V5/

Edited by Thinder

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.