Are we expecting some flight model change in the next open beta update?

goAdA
Go to solution Solved by NineLine,

I noticed that when I remove the pylons from the f-16 wings the drag never decreased. I think the pylons weigh about 500 pounds each. One would think with the 7 pylons removed from the f-16 drag will decrease significantly and therefore increase speed.

Cheers 

Vincent 

16 minutes ago, Vinny002 said:

I noticed that when I remove the pylons from the f-16 wings the drag never decreased. I think the pylons weigh about 500 pounds each. One would think with the 7 pylons removed from the f-16 drag will decrease significantly and therefore increase speed.

Cheers 

Vincent 

I'm not really up on my science but i would assume you could have that amount of weight while not being drag inducing as pylons seem to have a very thin front to back profile.

1 hour ago, Vinny002 said:

Cheers 

Vincent 

How did you test this? The pylons absolutely add drag as is.

• Like 2

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

3 hours ago, 504Blade said:

I'm not really up on my science but i would assume you could have that amount of weight while not being drag inducing as pylons seem to have a very thin front to back profile.

Weight alone causes more drag because of induced drag,  even if the pylons were completely dragless themselves.  The jet needs to make more lift, which needs a higher angle of attack, which adds induced drag. 

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

5 hours ago, Vinny002 said:

@Exorcet, yes I tested the F-16 with all 7 pylons off. The speed at 36,000 feet is about 1,179 knots with 7 pylons on the F-16 or not.

Cheers,

Vincent

Interesting as other have reported an effect of the pylons, myself included:

At least when it comes to acceleration and turn rate.

Edited by Exorcet

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

• ED Team

there have been no changes. 

Flight model is in review currently. 

• Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

On 7/31/2021 at 4:21 PM, Vinny002 said:

@Exorcet, yes I tested the F-16 with all 7 pylons off. The speed at 36,000 feet is about 1,179 knots with 7 pylons on the F-16 or not.

Cheers,

Vincent

Indeed something wonky is going on the F16 and pylon drag is at neg value... Might explain why its such a rocket ship 🙂

This issue also affects the FM of some other aircraft like the Flanker for example with bomb racks reducing drag. Should be something for ED to look at for all AC. Correct modelling of ordinance drag.

Edited by Breakshot
  • Like 1

Breakshot_Sig_2.jpg

Tim "Breakshot" Mytrofanov | C.O. of 51 ПВО / 100 КИАП Regiments | twitch.tv/51breakshot

45 minutes ago, Vinny002 said:

Question for you, what is the rectangular display just above the caution and warning lights in the F-16 Viper called?

Cheers,

Vincent 

See Chuck's Guide, page 59.

https://www.mudspike.com/chucks-guides-dcs-f-16c-viper/

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

18 hours ago, Breakshot said:

Indeed something wonky is going on the F16 and pylon drag is at neg value... Might explain why its such a rocket ship 🙂

This issue also affects the FM of some other aircraft like the Flanker for example with bomb racks reducing drag. Should be something for ED to look at for all AC. Correct modelling of ordinance drag.

Also affects the Viggen. weapons and pylon drag is wonky and enables a higher top speed compared to a naked aircraft by 200kph.

Ryzen 5800x@5Ghz | 96gb DDR4 3200Mhz | Asus Rx6800xt TUF OC | 500Gb OS SSD + 1TB Gaming SSD | Asus VG27AQ | Trackhat clip | VPC WarBRD base | Thrustmaster stick and throttle (Deltasim minijoystick mod).

F14 | F16 | AJS37 | F5 | Av8b | FC3 | Mig21 | FW190D9 | Huey

Been playing DCS from Flanker 2.0 to present 😄

On 8/2/2021 at 12:30 AM, Breakshot said:

I feel like F-16 indeed has ordinance drag, because with AG loadout the drag is quite huge. 

Pylon drag is something I have not tested so I cannot comment, but pylon does indeed significantly reduces the turn performance of the jet in dogfights, and the speed bleed much more quicker than a clean jet with no pylons. 

Anyway, lets wait for the FM fix that's hopefully coming next patch. 

Edited by SCPanda