Something to read while you are waiting "Apache over Libya"

whiteladder

If you fancy something to get you ready for the Apache I can't recommend "Apache over Libya" highly enough.

Written by Will Laidlaw who was the CO of 4 British Army Apache's deployed to the Helicopter assault ship Hms Ocean in the summer of 2011.

What started as a 6 week training deployment to the Med, to refine the types use on board ships turned into full on involvement in the Civil war in Libya. 

With 116 targets destroyed and numerous ProGad soldiers engaged with the cannon the small force was in the thick of the action. 

Engaged by SA-24 manpads, locked up by SA-6 and SA-5 this was a different fight than the highly experienced pilots were use to in Helmand where dominance in the air was the norm. Its a totally different read than say Apache dawn.

The missions are described in detail, the careful planning to get through the dangerous costal zone, the attacks and the hair raising trips back to a ship that isn't always where it is supposed to be. Even has the YouTube links to the footage from the missions you are reading about.

Great read, loads of useful insight of how to fight an Apache, flying from a carrier, what's not to loved about this book.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, whiteladder said:

If you fancy something to get you ready for the Apache I can't recommend "Apache over Libya" highly enough.

Written by Will Laidlaw who was the CO of 4 British Army Apache's deployed to the Helicopter assault ship Hms Ocean in the summer of 2011.

What started as a 6 week training deployment to the Med, to refine the types use on board ships turned into full on involvement in the Civil war in Libya. 

With 116 targets destroyed and numerous ProGad soldiers engaged with the cannon the small force was in the thick of the action. 

Engaged by SA-24 manpads, locked up by SA-6 and SA-5 this was a different fight than the highly experienced pilots were use to in Helmand where dominance in the air was the norm. Its a totally different read than say Apache dawn.

The missions are described in detail, the careful planning to get through the dangerous costal zone, the attacks and the hair raising trips back to a ship that isn't always where it is supposed to be. Even has the YouTube links to the footage from the missions you are reading about.

Great read, loads of useful insight of how to fight an Apache, flying from a carrier, what's not to loved about this book.

Awesome, thanks for the heads-up...always after new books 😀.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the recommendation. Haven't heard about this book so far, so this is great to know. I've read Apache Dawn and @Ed Macy's books, so I will definitely read that one as well!

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Ordered, thanks for the recommendation.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Ordered!  Looking forward to it!

System: Intel Core i9-9900KF @ 5 Ghz, Z-390 Gaming X, 64Gb DDR4-3200, EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3, Dedicated SSD, HP Reverb G2, Winwing Orion & F-16EX

DCS Modules: A-10C II,  A/V-8B NA, Bf-109 K4, P-51D, P-47D, F/A-18C, F-14 A/B, F-16 CM, F-86F, JF-17, KA-50 Black Shark 2, UH-1H, Mosquito, AH-64D Longbow 

Terrains & Tech:  Caucasus, Persian Gulf, Normandy, Syria, Nevada, The Channel, Combined Arms, WWII Assets, Supercarrier

Thanks for the rec, ordered. No intention of purchasing the Apache at all lol,  but do enjoy a good operators account in a machine like this.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

Very enjoyable book.

Nice to read about the Apache flying against advanced missiles.

• Like 1

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

I went for Ed Macy's: Apache

(Is this "@Ed Macy" the actual author?)

Anyway, I can also highly reccomend this book :thumbup:

(Will probably pick up Apache over Libya once I finished it 😉)

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I recently read this book.  It was light on details as far as actually flying the Apache.  A lot of background and such on using it from a sea borne platform and dealing with Brit beauracracy.  I guess I was hoping for something more like Ed Macy's excellent books.  

There is a book on Amazon called, I believe, Riding the Dragon, by a guy going by the name of Steve Stone.  It is horribly written and I believe a lot of it is plagarized from Ed Macys books, but its only like 99 cents so if you are desperate for something to read with the Apache in it and can overlook really poor writing, give it a whirl.  

MD

System: Intel Core i9-9900KF @ 5 Ghz, Z-390 Gaming X, 64Gb DDR4-3200, EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3, Dedicated SSD, HP Reverb G2, Winwing Orion & F-16EX

DCS Modules: A-10C II,  A/V-8B NA, Bf-109 K4, P-51D, P-47D, F/A-18C, F-14 A/B, F-16 CM, F-86F, JF-17, KA-50 Black Shark 2, UH-1H, Mosquito, AH-64D Longbow 

Terrains & Tech:  Caucasus, Persian Gulf, Normandy, Syria, Nevada, The Channel, Combined Arms, WWII Assets, Supercarrier

• 1 month later...

Apache over Libya is great read and gives a nice overview of wartime missions in an unusual environment.

I'm currently reading Ed Macey's "Hellfire". This is a great read so far, especially as he also describes the operation of the Apache from within the Cockpit quite well, in fair detail.

Its entertaining yet technical. I'm definitely going to read his other book too.

All the above written from British Aviator's (AAC) point of view, which I am sure will be quite different from US Army aviators. Can anyone recommend books written from a US perspective? 

Edited by nguludi
  • Like 1