Any FPS improvements after Today's update?

YoYo

2D screen, anywhere in Mariana fps 100+

VR mode, low altitude above the island fps 15-20

• PC Specs: Intel i7 9700, Nvidia RTX 2080S, Corsair 64G DDR4, MSI B360M Mortar Titanium, Intel 760P M.2 256GB SSD + Samsung 1TB SSD, Corsair RM650x
  • Flight Gears: Logitech X56 HOTAS & Flight Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2
  • Modules: F-14A/B, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C I/II, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Project: Operation Hormuz [F/A-18C Multiplayer Campaign]

• 1 month later...
On 9/2/2021 at 3:37 AM, Jenson said:

2D screen, anywhere in Mariana fps 100+

VR mode, low altitude above the island fps 15-20

Yep, I never use this map in VR. Unplayable atm. Let’s hope there are improvements planned. 

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

On 8/30/2021 at 9:15 PM, Nealius said:

Number One issue for people struggling with FPS in VR: User error and failure to manage expectations. Turn your graphics down. 

Ordinarily, I would agree with you, but this particular map is awful from a performance standpoint.  I think its the worst performing map of them all.  All of the others perform beautifully in VR with my current settings, but this one is a nausea-inducing slideshow.

• Like 3

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting 30 fps (45 fps flying over the sea) with my setup (Vive Pro 2 with Steam SS around 3300x3300 pixels per screen, PD 0.8, very nice image quality with Reshade sharpening filter).  The performance not as good as typical DCS maps but it is similar to MSFS2020, considering the ground terrain level of detail is similar in quality.  It is very GPU bound when examined with fpsVR, my GPU frametimes are in 30s whereas CPU frametimes always stay below 20 ms.  So it is not great but doable if you have a powerful GPU, but of course I'd rather play with 2:1 reprojection rather than 3:1 if given a choice. 

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Tried the map after a complete system and dcs reinstall yesterday. I hadn’t touched it because I was getting 30 fps and stuttering on low settings. 
Apart from the Bermuda Triangle of fps which is the centre of Guam the rest of the map is fluid 60fps on better than medium settings. I actually enjoyed flying round it. 
I had problems with stuttering at 60 fps prior in all maps and eventually I tracked it down to the “gaming” over clock on my MSI bios, I turned that off and all my maps were fluid again. 
maybe it’s just another one of those things people could try. 

I now really like the map and I’m trying to work out how to shoehorn mi8 into home made missions there 

forgot my specs. 
i5 9600k

32gb RAM 

RTX 3060 

dcs on separate ssd 

page file on separate ssd 

Edited by scampaboy
System specs

• 2 months later...

Even the latest patch didn't improve FPS on this map, I came back for a look after leaving it alone for so long due to its VR issues, I'm running a i9 1050k, 3090, 64gb ram and fairly high settings in DCS for VR, all other maps 45FPS with motion reprojection on, DCS PD 0.8 Steam SS 85%

Free flight F16 Marianas 26 FPS over the main base, jumps to around 30-35FPS around the island, id hate to add any AI in a mission.

My rig is fully optimized for VR through all the main VR guides, all other maps are smooth as and very playable with heavy AI units in play, im glad it was free.

Edited by Hotdognz

You said it yourself that you have fairly high VR settings.  Save the existing settings and create a new “not as high”  VR settings.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

If someone told me he had a problem with his car and I said, "Never mind, just push it, you'll get anywhere you want eventually" I would be technically correct - the best kind of correct as we all know.

Wouldn't it be preferable, though, if this map performed the same way as all the other maps and not need a reduction in quality settings?

• Like 2

"[...] because, basically, in this day and age, if you get to the merge and no one's died - it's not good for anybody." - Keith 'Okie' Nance
"Nun siegt mal schön!" - Theodor Heuss, September 1958

"Nobody has any intention of building a wall." - Walter Ulbricht, June 1961
"Russia has no plans to invade either Ukraine or any other country.
" - Vladimir Chizhov, Russia's ambassador to the EU, January 2022

11 hours ago, Mr_sukebe said:

You said it yourself that you have fairly high VR settings.  Save the existing settings and create a new “not as high”  VR settings.

I have no interest in turning my graphics down for 1 map (yes I know I can make a custom preset) that is poorly optimized, I like my VR settings high in DCS and its why I paid good money for hardwear to do so, using the Marianas map on my system with lower graphics would be like running a Ferrari on 6 cylinders, it aint happening 😉

1 minute ago, Hotdognz said:

Edited by Hotdognz
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...

We are near one year after release of Marianas, cant fly low and slow (on Apache for example here) still due very poor performance on this map....

Tested this after some of break of using Marianas map and Big FPS drop / stutter problem exists still. This map is unplayable for me and I cant to use it, sorry. Big FPS drop in VR (it works a lot worse than Syria map where we have a lot of objects!), very pity. Im surprised that  the performance and optimalization of this map till now wasnt fixed and map wasnt touched from ED Team from a very long time on performance subject. 😞

AdventurousSadCat-size_restricted.gif

Any improvemenets are coming here? If not, this map is useless...

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Its a wasted map, I wish ED had put the resources into something else as I dont see the point of releasing something that runs as bad as this does in VR compared to the likes of Syria, and not even bother to fix it, or if they are its not showing up as any better with new beta patches.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hotdognz said:

Its a wasted map, I wish ED had put the resources into something else as I dont see the point of releasing something that runs as bad as this does in VR compared to the likes of Syria, and not even bother to fix it, or if they are its not showing up as any better with new beta patches.

Agree, and it perplexes me they are making the first ww2 pacific map out of it....

• Like 1

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

It´s crazy they said "This map it´s for testing new terrain technologies..." what tech? one that runs poorly even on high end PC?

Keep the focus on new tech for more advanced graphics but not on fixing performance issues or in technologies that will help on performance side (like DLSS/FSR), this is going well...

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

On 7/21/2021 at 2:24 PM, YoYo said:

After this patch (beta 2.7.4.9632)? Did you test it maybe?

Im downloading still....

Some friends and I were on playing post patch last night on one of our Marianas training missions and multiple people made comments about how rock solid performance seemed since the patch. I have max frames capped to 45 in the NVCP and I never once dipped, even on the Super Carrier.

I play in VR without any ASW or motion smoothing. Running on a 3060ti.

25 minutes ago, Paul_Exotic said:

Some friends and I were on playing post patch last night on one of our Marianas training missions and multiple people made comments about how rock solid performance seemed since the patch. I have max frames capped to 45 in the NVCP and I never once dipped, even on the Super Carrier.

I play in VR without any ASW or motion smoothing. Running on a 3060ti.

Impossible, I have 3090 and big experience. Some of parts this map are ok, but few parts only. Try to fly from Guam. 

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

4 hours ago, YoYo said:

Impossible, I have 3090 and big experience. Some of parts this map are ok, but few parts only. Try to fly from Guam. 

The poster didnt show his VR DCS settings, it would be interesting to see them and then we can try it, im on a 3090 to.

I will have another look today but im not expecting good results

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hotdognz said:

The poster didnt show his VR DCS settings, it would be interesting to see them and then we can try it, im on a 3090 to.

I will have another look today but im not expecting good results

Maybe he cut everything in his settings ;).

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Just tried in VR today, Intel i9 10850k @3.6ghz, 3090 64gb Open XR most settings on high except shadows and no MSAA

Ah64D instant action tour flight across the main map, maintained 35fps, dipped to 30fps over the main AF base, I wouldn't call it smooth in motion looking out the side windows, it was better than its first release, but then this mission had no AI except a couple of F16s flying around and a CV group of the coast.

Yep, its pity, map is nice but works worse than bigger, more detailed brothers and sisters. ED forget about improvement of performance here? Maybe WWII version will be better with performance (less cars and detaild buildings). Now we have candy behind the window.

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Has ED, at some point or another, mentioned the will to fix the map regarding this slow performance issue ?
Was this poor performance even acknowledged ?

I know it's a free addition to DCS world, and we shouldn't complain, but since it's not playable for most VR users, it feels like a waste of hard and dedicated work. All in all the Marinanas is  a lovingly crafted map.

15 hours ago, pixie said:

Has ED, at some point or another, mentioned the will to fix the map regarding this slow performance issue ?
Was this poor performance even acknowledged ?

I know it's a free addition to DCS world, and we shouldn't complain, but since it's not playable for most VR users, it feels like a waste of hard and dedicated work. All in all the Marinanas is  a lovingly crafted map.

Personally I didnt notice it from long time, they have the whole mouth of water about it since the first report about poor performance here from the long time, see this topic (most 2D users but VR too), topic had 6 pages and finally was closed 😋:

We can find this info too in FAQ:

Are their known issues with the map, or is it complete?

Despite the the map being a work in progress at this time, it is in a solid, playable state that offers much enjoyment. Rest assured that we will continue to optimize and improve the map as we have with the Caucasus map. Current known issues are as follows (but not limited to):
- Some FPS struggles in certain areas of them map, optimizations are on going

But near one year after we havent any patch for better performance. It is as it was, no changes here.

The map is completely unplayable and it turns out to be a waste of time for VR users (they dont use it or use it in limited time) and authors of this map (it's a pity that no any beta tests have caught such a serious problem in VR). The bigger problem is that (what I see) MB.339 uses it for his default campaign (according the trailer I suppose)  which in a moment will cause confusion among VR users of MB.339 and Marianas map. Pity 😳 

It is hard to understand why such a small area (islands only with full of water!) has much bigger problems than Syria, which is well done with many details etc. This is "amazing" LOL.

Last time I check it on Apache, so low and slow. It was slideshowon RTX 3090 (Syria, Caucasus, even Channel map works a lot better, just Syria, near Aleppo has a problem for me). Whats going on here?

ED, pretty please to check it and fix it finally, TY! :joystick: We cant use it .... 

Edited by YoYo

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Was curious and placed a hot F-5E-3 on various runways on my maps, and noted down the fps (1440p).

F-5E-3 hot on runway. Default weather/cloud base.

Caucasus
	. Senaki 09			73
	. Vaziani 31			81
	. Krasnodar 09			76

Marianas
	. Andersen 06			65
	. Anderson 24			54
	. Antonio 06			41 / Middle of Guam
	. Antonio 24			40 / Middle of Guam
	. Saipan 25			55
	. Saipan 07			55

Nevada
	. Nellis 03			92
	. Nellis 21			86
	. McCarran 01			83
	. McCarran 19			87

Persian Gulf
	. Al Dhafra 13			82
	. Al Dhafra 31			80
	. Al Minhad 09			84
	. Al Minhad 27			80
	. Havadarya 26			75
	. Havadarya 08			78

Syria
	. Incirlik 05			75
	. Incirlik 23			71
	. Bassel Al-Assad 17		70
	. Bassel Al-Assad 35		70
	. Mezzeh 06			75
	. Mezzeh 24			78
	. Beirut 03			71
	. Beirut 21			74
	. Ramat David			73
	. Ramat David			74

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |