F-16 FLCS BIT Animation Missing

ECHO 12

When the F-16 runs its FLCS Bit check, everything in the cockpit seems correct, but the animation of the Flight Controls is missing. Here is an example taken from a Crew Chief's point of view of the Bit Check operating during launch. It's an older block, so not very accurate to the Block 50 digital bit.

FLCS Bit begins around 2:45 into the video and cuts out around 4:12, but it was pretty close to the end of the bit. Watch the Flight Controls (Including the leading edge flaps). These are not pilot inputs. This is the FLCS moving the controls during the BIT check.

Edited by ECHO 12

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 8/25/2021 at 2:02 PM, Flappie said:

@ECHO 12Thanks. I reported the missing animations. Do you think you can find another video showing the complete sequence?

Unfortunately, I don't have a video of the full sequence. I'll ask around. I recall that fairly quickly after it cuts out in the video above, the next part of the BIT, the elevons/rudder/and flaperons all move slowly down (Rudder left) about 95% of their downward (Rudder left range) range of motion over the course of about 4 seconds, then hold for about 1 full second, then they all snap to full down 100% (Rudder 100% left) for a fraction of a second and then slowly return to neutral position, then do it again like two more times and then the check is finished. I'll try and find a video.

On 8/25/2021 at 2:02 PM, Flappie said:

@ECHO 12Thanks. I reported the missing animations. Do you think you can find another video showing the complete sequence?

I found this one. I think this would be more accurate for the block 50 that we have in DCS. Digital Flight Control BIT is WAY faster. I loved it when I moved to Block 40's! Took forever with the old analog bits like in the first video I posted. The previous video I posted above is an older analog bit. This one seems much faster, so my guess is it's DFLCS like they have in the Block 50's and is much quicker. You'll see it in the video below from 6:21-7:38. Let me know if this helps!

Edited by ECHO 12
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Flappie said:

Thank you! Do you know precisely when the test begins? Is it 04:56?

And when does it end?

4:56 I believe is sec check.

5:50 the pilot is warming up flight controls to get any air bubbles out before BIT

at 6:20, you can see the pilot reach back and to the left to flip the BIT switch

almost a second later the flapperons come up to neutral. My guess is 6:21 is the precise beginning of the BIT test

at 7:10 the control surfaces return to pre-BIT position (Elevons/Rudder neutral, flapperons down) <- I do remember the DFLCS BIT being VERY quick (Compared to the old analog BIT), so I wouldn't be surprised if that is the precise finish time. However, the pilot gives no indication that the BIT is finished (Which is normal, they wouldn't). He signals the Crew Chief to check flight controls at 7:38. This doesn't necessarily mean the BIT wasn't finished until that second, but it could have still been running for a little bit electronically (Not hydraulically).

7:11 is when the bit finishes moving the flight controls (So that would be the end of the animation) but as far as when the green light turns on in the cockpit, I'm not 100% on that. Flight control movement stopping doesn't necessarily mean the BIT is finished, it still checks the electronic/software side of things. So the moment the green light turns on in the cockpit is unknown in this video.

My best guess is the following:

6:21 Precise BIT Start

7:11 Precise Hydraulic BIT Finish

7:12-7:38 BIT is complete somewhere in there.

Hope this helps. Sorry I can't be of more help on the precise moments.

• Thanks 2

@ECHO 12 I've found another one, easier to watch since it was filmed from behind. It seems a little faster than in your previous video. Which one to chose between the two for our Block 50?

(Belgian F-16AM/BM MLU)

Edited by Flappie
  • Like 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

On 1/22/2022 at 1:54 PM, Flappie said:

@ECHO 12 I've found another one, easier to watch since it was filmed from behind. It seems a little faster than in your previous video. Which one to chose between the two for our Block 50?

(Belgian F-16AM/BM MLU)

That looks like an older analog bit. It took almost 2min. You can see the bit start in your video at :45 (Evident by the flaps going neutral) and finally ends at 2:38(evident by the flaps returning to the down position once the bit is complete). In my most recent post, it only takes about 50seconds total. So I think for block 50 I would go with my most recent post (the one above with the 50sec. Bit). I'm fairly certain that is a DFLCS bit. The split second jitters and the short total time makes me think it's a DFLCS bit. The Belgian video, there are no split second jitter control movements and it takes close to two full minutes to complete. This seems more like an older analog FLCS bit. Again this is just based on my observations and memory of the two. Also, this video you found, the exhaust looks like an old P&W engine. The pratts very defined exhaust looks very distinct compared to the newer GE exhaust. We called them turkey feathers. That bird has the P&W turkey feathers. Which means it's most likely an older block. I don't think we had the old Pratt motors in newer blocks. I never saw a newer block with the old P&W motor. So most definitely an older bird with the old analog FLCS. I just remember I could sit and relax for a bit during a launch when I was working block 25s, and when I moved to the block 40s it was surprisingly faster to me cause they had the DFLCS. My thoughts.

Edited by ECHO 12
  • Thanks 2

• 6 months later...
On 1/24/2022 at 11:59 PM, Flappie said:

Many thanks. Report updated. 👍

@Flappie -

Not sure if the dev team saw the videos you/I gave them or not. But..... that flcs animation isn't even close. I know it's just aesthetics as this is just a sim and not real life, but was just hoping to get something at least a little closer than that. Just a bummer that's all. I'm really excited about the new update though!

• Like 1

I can't do much more than I've done already.

Wait for the patch, test the FLCS BIT sequence (because as you know, "everything is subject to change"), then create a new thread if you're not happy with the result.

• Like 2

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.