Climbing in the stack

Vox

@Slant if you think about it, the tanker can’t just be at 1500ft cause then it would be in the way of all the guys commencing. 

So when the guys stack up before recovery at their pre-assigned levels the tanker will be on top of them. As the stack collapses the tanker will descent with it. 

Then guys won’t just rock up on the ball with BOB, ‘bingo on the ball’. 

CAG will have set a predetermined value of tankstate +X amount of passes. 

if then someone struggles to get onboard the recovery tanker will be hawking them allowing a quick plug for guys that are BOB and are told to waveoff or Bolter, if that makes sense… 

• Thanks 2

@Slant I shall tell the guys they have no idea what they talk about then 😉

30 degrees offset? who told you that 😄

I KNOW: CNATRA SHIT 
There is no such thing pal and if someone just flies circles at 1500 ft during commencing he is definitely in the way... 
Watch the video 😉 thats how its done... I am not sharing my ideas here.. everything comes from the real guys... 

I am just a simple commercial pilot 

• Like 1

Remember how I said CNATRA doesn't matter like two posts ago? Maybe that 30° got stuck in my head from that, thanks for pointing it out. I've not done that 30° thing in ages myself. Took me a while to figure the geometry out, but I think I got it. Yes, without watching your video, amazing I know. Either way, it doesn't change anything about what I said. You can look it up in NATOPS yourself. 1500 feet is where the recovery tanker does his circle. The entire trick or treat procedure is explained there.

I'll bow out of this discussion as well. I'm not here for pissing contests. When you talk to your guys, can I request that they send me a message on Discord to set me straight, they should still have me in their history. Thanks buddy, enjoy your evening. 🙂

Edited by Slant

http://www.csg-2.net/ | i7 7700k - NVIDIA 1080 - 32GB RAM | BKR!

• 2 weeks later...

There was a great Fighter Pilot Podcast recently (FPP118) where a A-3 pilot was talking about how they would position themselves out front of a low fuel state aircraft that was having trouble getting aboard.

Meaning if he boltered he could find the tank right in front of him.

I can’t remember if an altitude was mentioned but it sounded like 1500 feet could be feasible.

Edited by JAR VFA-113 STINGERS

On 8/19/2021 at 3:38 PM, draconus said:

That is for CASE III. The pattern is assigned by departure control, NATOPS talks about a minimum of 2500 feet, but the number may have changed over the years one way or the other. For CASE I/II the altitude is 1500 feet. It's actually an interesting procedure that I'm looking forward to explore if we ever get a KA-6 variant. Section 6.10.1 describes everything, it's a good read! 🙂

The minimum altitude is 1500ft. Nowhere it is said that this is 

1 hour ago, Slant said:

For CASE I/II the altitude is 1500 feet. It's actually an interesting procedure that I'm looking forward to explore if we ever get a KA-6 variant. Section 6.10.1 describes everything, it's a good read! 

🙂

The minimum altitude is 1500ft. Nowhere it is said that 1500ft is THE holding altitude for a recovery tanker. And as @Pieterras said, 1500ft is rather impractical for case I. I would love to see ED make a "hawk" function for the S-3 (or any other CV tanker), maybe one day... 

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

37 minutes ago, sLYFa said:

The minimum altitude is 1500ft. Nowhere it is said that this is 

The minimum altitude is 1500ft. Nowhere it is said that 1500ft is THE holding altitude for a recovery tanker. And as @Pieterras said, 1500ft is rather impractical for case I. I would love to see ED make a "hawk" function for the S-3 (or any other CV tanker), maybe one day... 

How is it impractical? 1200 is the spin pattern, starting at 2000 feet you have the marshal stack. 800 is the initial, 600 is your downwind... where else would you have the tanker live? You're right, it's the minimum pattern, but it's the altitude that is actually the most practical.

The spin pattern is flown at 1200ft and can require quite a lot of bank, 300ft of seperation is not that much for such a maneuver. At 1500ft you might also get in the way of aircraft commencing from 2000ft. I'm not saying that sitting on top of the stack is the best option, but apparently, thats what is common IRL (as per Pieterras who knows this from RL pilots). 

Unless you have any credible source that says otherswise, 1500ft is not the altitude recovery tankers sit at commonly but is a lower limit for recovery tanker ops. 

• Like 1

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

• 4 weeks later...