** Announcing DCS: Eurofighter by Heatblur Simulations & TrueGrit!! **

Cobra847

WOW! This came as a complete surprise.
Mind you, I must admit I've somewhat mixed feelings.
HB+TG... excellent for the EF! The EF will be finished faster (or even at all).
But what happens to the A6 and J35? Will they be delayed while HB work on the EF?

I also thought it was good to have lots of separate 3rd party devs working on their own projects. That makes them more passion projects and there is a better chance of attention to detail and ongoing support. When it starts to be a conglomeration, it might be more production than passion? Would quality suffer? I hope that's not the case here. I also hope that TG keep using MilTech5 to do their 3D model work, which is the best in the class. Still, it is by far better to have TG subsumed into HB, than to see the project fail. So, this is definitely the right move for the EF.

Best wishes for the project!  And, yeah, that was a very, very, classy trailer video!  EDIT: It was a classy trailer. For some reason it has been pulled off YouTube. 😕

But HB... please don't forget that *cough* flyable *cough* J35.

Edited by xvii-Dietrich
YT video gone. Needed to modify my comment.
  • Like 3

I'm hyped like all  the Eurofighter fans  But I understand the concerns about the delay if development of other modules. 

I see it this way: the Eurofighter project will probably be a huge success which could help Heatblur to grow even bigger and faster and that would be good for all future modules imho.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, QuiGon said:

The TrueGrit teamlead is a long time Eurofighter instructor pilot himself, so you can be sure they know the real thing :wink:

17 hours ago, Geezer66 said:

Does Heatblur/Truegrit have actual documentation on the Eurofighter to simulate it accurately?  I fear DCS moving more towards a fantasy dogfighting game and further away from a simulation.

To be honest I've seen a few interviews with TrueGrit and I would say something like: yes but also no.

Yes, Gero was an instructor pilot and he knows Eurofighter very well, he knows exactly how different systems worked and how effective they were, at least when it comes to German Tranche 1 from ~ 2004-2006 when he was flying it. That's why they have chosen this variant, very good decision already, not going for different versions without throughout knowledge, at least not now.

But also no. They said something like even though they know i.e. Eurofighter's EM charts precisely, they can't disclose them not to allow potential enemies to train how to exploit Eurofighter's weaknesses when avoiding it's advantages, and they will make the flight model according to publicly available non classified data and airshows🙂

But again, this can mean both, they are going to nail it anyway potentially disclosing sensitive data and simply not admitting it (i don't believe they would do that). Or they will be forced to change the flight model in sensitive parts not to disclose sensitive data. Or something in between.

In Heatblur we trust, i doubt they will allow some completely unrealistic module to be released under their trademark so let's give TrueGrit a chance.

Good thing is: considering how scarce publicly available Eurofighter documentation is - just like with JF-17 - nobody is going to know if it is close to the real aircraft or not. Or verify things anyway😀

Edited by bies
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, bies said:

But also no. They said something like even though they know i.e. Eurofighter's EM charts precisely, they can't disclose them not to allow potential enemies to train how to exploit Eurofighter's weaknesses when avoiding it's advantages, and they will make the flight model according to publicly available non classified data and airshows🙂

Yes, but this is no difference to other fighters we have in DCS like the Viper or the Hornet, where ED has to deal with these exact same problems as ED can only use the information that is publicly available.

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 4

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

That's effin great!

I always wondered how a small - albeit professional - dev team like TruGrit want to do everything on their own.

This partnership may be exactly what's need to get the best possible module; a true testament to the Eurofighter!

Cannot. Wait.

8 ore fa, phant ha scritto:

I know but I hope it will be part of future new features integration that go beyond specific German tranche.

Bye

Phant

I'm hoping for that too, and I was actually about to ask HB/TrueGrit about it. Also, AFAIK some german Typhoons do have PIRATE. It's mostly two seaters, but there are a couple of single seater pictures I found with PIRATE and german markings. Not sure what tranche/block/configuration they are, though.

Well, at least we know that the Eurofighter is in good hands. 🙂 I don't mind. Ever since I played Ace Combat I've had a soft spot for the Eurofighter. Looks cool, flies well, and does everything a fighter should do. 🙂 Hopefully it won't take too much effort away from the oldies, since it's a partnership.

Just some quick notes on "Tranche" and PIRATE.

1.) PIRATE is only fitted to German IPAs which support the international test and evaluation programmes.

2.) You already got the clue about Meteor being part of the package. That should answer the "Tranche" part.

Check out the " Eurofighter Typhoon Facts and Myths FAQ" thread's opening post for more details and a better understanding og what is in where.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, QuiGon said:

Yes, but this is no difference to other fighters we have in DCS like the Viper or the Hornet, where ED has to deal with these exact same problems as ED can only use the information that is publicly available.

The difference is that both the Viper and the Hornet have thousands pages worth of publically available documentation while all the Typhoon docs are NATO Restricted at best.

Edited by WobblyFlops
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, WobblyFlops said:

The difference is that both the Viper and the Hornet have thousands pages worth of publically available documentation while all the Typhoon docs are NATO Restricted at best.

This. I don't think it's fair to compare anything, even Hornet, which US Navy decommissioned years ago (and practically replaced by the Superhornet a decade ago) to todays classified Europe's Top Dog.

The leading phrase of the last interview with Gero is his quote summing up the interview pretty well:  "I'm not even sure if i could say that".

Basically good half of the interview is suggesting in a differen way which systems, parameters, modes, weapons, sensors  can't be included in the module because they are strictly classified. And others we can't mention or even admit they exist at all. Few times he sounds like being afraid to even say something or comment some questions.  Which obviously left me with mixed feelings.

We definitely haven't had such a situation at DCS before. This cannot even be compared to the current F-16 or F-18, which have a big amount of declassified materials, F-16 FM base on declassified NASA wind tunnet tests and so on.

The remaining 20-30 DCS modules are usually declassified aircrafts that could be modeled faithfully based on the available hard data and declassified documentation.

To sum up - manage your expectations. Every sane person understands Eurofighter will require more guess work and more ommited systems than other DCS aircrafts.

Let's focus on positive sides. They are commited to original early German variant they know about. It will be European fighter. It will be developed under Heatblur's supervision. It will have unique aerodynamic configuration of delta-canard. It will be pure fighter with impresive thrust to weight and wing loading. They have a real life Eurofighter pilot on board. It looks exeptionally good for my taste. It touches EF2000 nostalgia. Whatever they will do it's going to be the most realistic non military Eurofighter simulator ever created.

Edited by kseremak
  • Like 4

l
Good luck recreating guidance unit algorithms, classified propulsion modes, ECCM algorithms, active radar modes etc. of a super modern cutting edge technology missile which is just starting to enter service.

Without agreeing or disagreeing with the potential inclusion of the Meteor, I'm just going to say that, unless ED massively revamps how EW works in DCS (as compared to it being almost nonexistent now), ECCM and radar modes will not need to be recreated at all.

However, HB tends to push technology forward in their modules, so who knows?

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

50 minutes ago, Spectre11 said:

Check out the " Eurofighter Typhoon Facts and Myths FAQ" thread's opening post for more details and a better understanding og what is in where.

A link would have been helpful, as it is in a totally different subforum than this thread :wink:

Here is it:

• Thanks 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

To all of you who are concerned that the EF will impact the development of other modules, or our passion, dedication to complete existing one, etc: it won't.

Of course each thing that we do impacts everything else that we do in a way, but when we announced both the a-6 and roadmap, this was already a planned thing for us. The A6 will likely come last in the new badge of modules, and it was planned like this from the get go. We always said: please do not expect the a6 to come anytime soon. We usually would not have announced it, if it wasn't for the fact that you guys were clever enough to know that we wouldnt make only an AI asset of it. So why lie to you? We hate doing it, and so we revealed it way, way ahead of time. But it was never meant to come before the EF, or, yes you are hearing right, the other two modules that are to come as well. Which are these? Well: we will tell you in due time. But all of them are being worked on in a way that none of the modules impacts the work that is being done on the other modules, also existing ones, beyond what is normal.

Of course we have to expand our portfolio, as we need to grow our business along with our passion. This is the very reason why we started expanding our team as well (to manage the workload ahead of us), and why we would have never touched the Eurofighter, if we did not have TrueGrit as partners. Rest assured, partnership or not, for both TrueGrit and us, the Eurofighter will continue to be a work of passion, and both teams meet on eye level regarding what drives us to do what we do. We could not be happier than having a partner like them. Thank you for your kind understanding.

Edited by IronMike
  • Like 24

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Thanks for the response, I'm glad everything is under control and a part of a bigger plan.

I'll always remain a faithful fan of Heatblur's classic Cold War era steam gauges modules like Tomcat, Viggen, Intruder, Forrestal and I understand other guys concerns but I'm buying Eurofighter as well.

I wish you all the best and thanks for your work!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, IronMike said:

We usually would not have announced it, if it wasn't for the fact that you guys were clever enough to know that we wouldnt make only an AI asset of it. 

Now you got my hopes up for a Draken module.

Edited by Dzsekeb
  • Like 4

56 minutes ago, IronMike said:

... yes you are hearing right, the other two modules that are to come as well. Which are these? Well: we will tell you in due time. ...

the last "eagerly awaited aircraft thread" had cost me some nerves (like we Germans say), Don't do that to me... again... 😉

Edited by Tom Kazansky
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tom Kazansky said:

the last "eagerly awaited aircraft thread" had cost me some nerves (like we Germans say), Don't do that to me... again... 😉

Sorry, I just revived it minutes ago:

:music_whistling:

• Like 2

Tornado3 small.jpg

1 hour ago, IronMike said:

To all of you who are concerned that the EF will impact the development of other modules, or our passion, dedication to complete existing one, etc: it won't.

Of course each thing that we do impacts everything else that we do in a way, but when we announced both the a-6 and roadmap, this was already a planned thing for us.

I have to say it's hard to imagine it won't impact the roadmap at all (read: the timelines of the other HB modules) - if TrueGrit could have developed it alone, they would have; thus, some experienced HB personnel will have to work with them on the EF module which means they won't be able to work on other modules, etc.

But, OK, hope those other two modules will be  announced (and thus get closer to being released) in relatively near future, but given the slipping dates with Viggen and F-14 being feature complete and now EF, I guess it won't happen in near future. Though, that's assuming at least one of them is indeed something from 70s/80s/early 90s matching the F-14 and Viggen modules.

I do hope I'm absolutely wrong on most if not all accounts, of course 🙂

Edited by Dudikoff
  • Like 4

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!