The Channel Bonus Mission - AI Issues

I experience 2 issues with the AI on this mission. The first, my flight failed to taxi after me on mission start as there was an infantry soldier blocking their taxi path - I solved this by removing that soldier in the mission editor. Then I experienced my second issue, which is that the AI taxis to the runway completely ignoring the fact that I'm in front of them and on two occasions they crashed into me.

I understand the AI issues are somewhat out of your control but thought I would highlight it anyway.

OK, I see now. They seem to have changed the AI taxi paths, so now those 2 soldiers are in the way...

They just announced an update to the Channel map, so I'll have to re-check all my Channel missions again, to see if something like this happens in others too, then I'll submit a fix.

Thanks for the report, much appreciated!

• Like 1

On 7/30/2021 at 9:36 PM, Reflected said:

I further investigated this, and found that infantry units get confused and often freeze mid-route. It broke several missions of all my campaigns, so I ended up updating them all in case the original bug is not fixed soon. Thanks again for the report, well spotted!

No problems. I enjoy your campaigns very much!

I feel like something has changed within the AI recently. Last night I flew the BNBoB mission where you attack the railyard at Bayeux. As my flight and I crossed the coast en routre to attack, the flak appeared and within a few seconds my entire flight of 4 was shot down. I don't remember the flak being that brutal in past play throughs.

1 hour ago, _Spad_ said:

No problems. I enjoy your campaigns very much!

I feel like something has changed within the AI recently. Last night I flew the BNBoB mission where you attack the railyard at Bayeux. As my flight and I crossed the coast en routre to attack, the flak appeared and within a few seconds my entire flight of 4 was shot down. I don't remember the flak being that brutal in past play throughs.

Ever since the introduction of the new DM, ED has been working on adapting the flak too. It's inconsistent, changes all the time, one update it's too deadly, in the next one they don't even open fire. @NineLine this is what I mean, one update the player can approach the target without seeing any bursts, the other update the mission is impossible to complete. It's getting hard to hold on to this roller coaster. Can you please push the team for a real solution? Thanks!

Edited by Reflected

• 1 month later...

I'm through mission 11, and one thing that I've learned is to keep White flight away from flak, at least at low altitude.  I had to fly the low altitude ingress missions again at altitude to have a chance at not getting killed by a cold bore shot approaching the target.  One shot one kill of my Mustang for two of them.

Unrelated and not high priority, but on the topic of AI I've noticed that in the large bomber formations, a few get taken out on the way to the RV.  I'm going to assume due to collisions.

R7 5800X3D / 32GB / VPC T-50 CM2 Base and CM3 Throttle with TM Hornet Grip / RTX 4080 Super / Meta Quest Pro

28 minutes ago, Chipwich said:

Unrelated and not high priority, but on the topic of AI I've noticed that in the large bomber formations, a few get taken out on the way to the RV.  I'm going to assume due to collisions.

Thanks, I know, I reported it to ED. AI bomber formations got messed up by one of the updates, I see lots of collisions, especially after spawn.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I tried playing the BNBB bonus mission today and got started, got taxi clearance, then immediately got told to “Hold Position.”  A bunch of the P51s had ran into each other on the runway.  I ran the mission 3 times and each time the AI aircraft crashed into each other.

4 hours ago, noah895 said:

I tried playing the BNBB bonus mission today and got started, got taxi clearance, then immediately got told to “Hold Position.”  A bunch of the P51s had ran into each other on the runway.  I ran the mission 3 times and each time the AI aircraft crashed into each other.

On one hand, never listen to the atc, it was not designed for ww2.  On the other hand there is a core ai bug with taking off and I implemented a workaround. It will be available in the next update. 

• 11 months later...