Night refueling after 2.7

Gibo

Did someone try to refuel at night since 2.7? Before this update I was able to refuel without any problem in day or night but today I tried a night refuel mission (first mission of Fear the bones campaign) but i could not even see the tanker. Maybe before 2.7 the night was to bright and other aircraft too easy to spot but after 2.7 it seems impossible to see other aircraft also very close to them even with NVG on.

Thanks for your help

Gibo

• Like 2

I think there is still a bug in 2.7 where NVG do not work properly when there is no light at all (moon)

:Ryzen 5800X | RTX3090 | 32Gb RAM | Nvme SSD Gen.4 | Reverb G2 | Virpil WarBrd Base | Constellation Alpha Grip / Virpil CM3 Throttle

3 hours ago, fylzz said:

I think there is still a bug in 2.7 where NVG do not work properly when there is no light at all (moon)

Pretty sure that’s just how NVGs work

• Like 2

BreaKKer

CAG and Commanding Officer of:

Carrier Air Wing Five //  VF-154 Black Knights

13 hours ago, Gibo said:

Did someone try to refuel at night since 2.7? Before this update I was able to refuel without any problem in day or night but today I tried a night refuel mission (first mission of Fear the bones campaign) but i could not even see the tanker. Maybe before 2.7 the night was to bright and other aircraft too easy to spot but after 2.7 it seems impossible to see other aircraft also very close to them even with NVG on.

Thanks for your help

Gibo

I played the same mission last night and i had the same problem. It was simply impossible to refuel, because i could not see the tanker at all.

The tanker had it's wingtip lights on but they did not help, the basket and the fuselage of the tanker were completely invisible.

The probe light brightness needs to increase (again). I understand that it shouldn't illuminate the whole tanker but right now it barely illuminates the basket when its a meter in front of you. The hornet is much better in that regard. 

• Like 1

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

Yesterday I redid the mission and I chose not to refuel; after a while marshall gave me the green light to land and I landed with 1,700 tanks. Shortly before the end of the mission, before having the option to refuel, Reflected says that everyone must choose between the existing options (refueling or not); perhaps therefore the impossibility of refueling is intentional.

I thought it was just me not knowing how to night refuel properly, it took me four attempts in the end, the first time I crashed into the sea trying to turn the cockpit light off, second time I ran out of fuel looking for the tanker, third time I found the tanker by locking on with the radar, but ran out of fuel trying to hook up (so I shot it down), fourth time I managed it but only after turning the cockpit lights and HUD down and the VDI off, and even then it took 10 minutes of plugging in and losing connection over and over just to get up to 7500lb of fuel.

aeGeSRD.png

2sCM2yJ.png

yRZrfVk.png

BPfZc56.png

Hardest thing I've had to do in a flight sim (so far)!

• 3 months later...

I fly the F16C and consider myself to be pretty competent tanking (usually without disconnects) with any available light source (even a full moon), but I find it is very difficult in poor conditions at night.  My stability comes from visual cues while under the tanker to gauge speed/attitude.  With heavy cloud/night time, my only reference point is the directional indicators under the tanker and I lose all perception of space.

I decided to see what video footage I could find and came across this video.  I could only find footage from the tanker's perspective, but the F16 is clearly lit up and I have a hard time believing that the F16 pilot wouldn't benefit to some degree from the low lighting available to make out the shape of the tanker fuselage.

Below some screenshots from in game:

Screen_211031_190234.png

Screen_211031_190310.png

I think if the lighting under the tanker were improved and reflections of reflections were modeled, then it would be far easier to refuel at night.

• Like 1