A-10 C Engine Start

This may have been flagged up before but, during the engine start sequence, the engines do not reach their idle state, i.e. the engine start cycle caption stays on and engine rpm only manages 52%. the only way i can get the engines to reach 56% and the engine start cycle to go off is if i select engine fuel flow switches from normal to override. and then back to normal once the engine start cycle caption has extinguished. Is this a bug or has the start up sequence changed please?

I am running this in the steam version.

Edited by Freakmeister51

Make sure you have your main and wing boost pumps turned on on the fuel control panel.  During engine start, watch not only your RPM gauge, but your ITT gauge as well.  When you reach about 20% RPM, you should see a sudden spike in ITT.  If you don't see that, your engine isn't lighting off for some reason.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

8 hours ago, Freakmeister51 said:

This may have been flagged up before but, during the engine start sequence, the engines do not reach their idle state, [...]

I don't recall ever seeing this.

Please upload a track or post a video, or else we'll have to ask you a thousand questions to narrow this thing down.

6 hours ago, eaglecash867 said:

Make sure you have your main and wing boost pumps turned on on the fuel control panel.

That's good advice, but the left engine can be started just fine without the boost pumps, and the right engine won't even light off without them (barring crossfeed), and there should be no rise in right engine ITT whatsoever; what OP describes sounds pretty different.

9 minutes ago, Yurgon said:

That's good advice, but the left engine can be started just fine without the boost pumps, and the right engine won't even light off without them (barring crossfeed), and there should be no rise in right engine ITT whatsoever; what OP describes sounds pretty different.

I think you probably misunderstood my post.  I'm just making sure he's looking at the ITT gauges during engine start.  If he doesn't see that rise in ITT, the engine is never going to start.

Your advice is the best though.  I'll bet we could figure this out really quickly if he posted a track file.  Pretty easy to see what's not set up right in the cockpit with that.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

8 minutes ago, eaglecash867 said:

I think you probably misunderstood my post.  I'm just making sure he's looking at the ITT gauges during engine start.  If he doesn't see that rise in ITT, the engine is never going to start.

Yeah, you're completely right there.

It's just that OP stated the RPM (I'm guessing Core RPM) gets stuck at 52 % during the engine start cycle.

When there's no fuel going into the engines, I'm not seeing a rise above 28 to maybe 30 % Core RPM.

And when he remarks that the fuel flow override solves the problem, that's another indication that there is fuel going into the engines during the startup cycle, but that the startup cycle doesn't finish on its own for some reason.

Long story short, what you're saying is perfectly correct and is good advice, but I think it's not related to OP's problem.

I have typically seen between 40 and 50% with an engine that isn't lighting...could be 52%...which is why I asked.  Its the same IRL too, although IRL it would be a really bad (and potentially expensive) thing to let the RPM get that high without ignition.  😎  Just trying to start with the basics, and I don't see it specifically mentioned as to which engine he's trying to start.  In fact, he says "engines", so maybe he's trying to start both at the same time?  Or one and then the other before the first one is done?  That would definitely not work.

Like you said, a track would be a good thing.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Yurgon said:

I don't recall ever seeing this.

Please upload a track or post a video, or else we'll have to ask you a thousand questions to narrow this thing down.

Thanks for the reply Yurgon. Unfortunately, because of the 5MB clip size, i can't download anything, not even a small portion of it. The mission is just one i have created in the mission editor and as far as i know, i haven't put in any failures, just the bog standard cold and dark start A-10C. I have tried it on an instant action mission and lo and behold, it works as advertised??? I can't put my finger on what it could be so if you want to ask questions, fire away.... 

Edited by Freakmeister51

17 minutes ago, Freakmeister51 said:

Can i assume, all modules will be affected by high temperatures in DCS?

Some more, some less. But generally I'd say yes.

• Like 1

Everybody said: "That's impossible!" Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Flying the A-10C for the 107th Joint Aviation Squadron

Developing and creating missions for Through The Inferno

Join the TTI Discord