JSOW question

Viciam1

It's easy to test them out and see how crap it is and armor plays 0 role in there ability. Put up a HAWK site and stack everything pretty close you can drop 4 JSOW's spread about the area and maybe get 2-3 kills if your lucky. Out of 4 missles you get 3 kills on the softest targets in the game yea no they just flat out don't work right. A hawk site piece of equipment literally takes 2-3 bullets from the 16 to kill but a 4 million dollar JSOW can't hurt it yea don't think so.

On 7/29/2021 at 7:22 AM, Ignition said:

I find the agm-154A the most unreliable weapon. After the last patch they seem to drop more on target than before but they are really weak/unreliable. They do kill very VERY lightly armored stuff but you need to drop them in pairs to have an average result. I still need to test them against SAMs, specially the "low" RCS.

I'm waiting for the CBU-105, I think this and the HARM will be the best weapons of the F-16C.

Having wasted a lot of time on various servers and on my own training missions dropping JSOW. I have come to the opinion that the JSOW does not contain any bomblets whatsoever. It has instead after pressure from various peace organisations, been filled with marshmallows. Any damage inflicted on the enemy is either a result of the JSOW casing actually accidentally falling on something or the enemy troops going into a diabetic coma from eating too many marshmallows...

• Like 7

On 7/28/2021 at 11:50 AM, Raptor9 said:

The real-life CBU-97/105 puts out a lot more EFPs (explosively formed projectiles) than what DCS simulates. The bomb dispenses 10 submunitions as does the DCS version, but each of those 10 submunitions deploys 4 individual EFP "skeets" which individually seek out and attack targets.

So even though the DCS CBU97/105 only deploys 25% the number of EFPs compared to the real-life counterpart, each of those simulated submunitions only attacks actual DCS units that are still alive. Whereas the real-life skeets would probably double- or triple-tap a lot of vehicles in the effects zone, along with other false targets. So I think within the limits of DCS, it's a fairly good emulation of the CBU-97/105 SFW weapon effects, in lieu of a true simulation.

The CBU-97 in DCS deploys the 10 submunitions, and it does then eject the four skeets per submunition as it should, it is animated nicely as well.

• Like 1

http://www.ipms.dk

i7 9700K, Asus Z390 Prime A, Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, GeForce RTX 2080 Ti STRIX ROG, Fractal Design Define R6, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind, Oculus Rift S. 32 GB 3200 MHz RAM

• ED Team
3 hours ago, Squid_DK said:

The CBU-97 in DCS deploys the 10 submunitions, and it does then eject the four skeets per submunition as it should, it is animated nicely as well.

The animation yes, but you never have 40 EFPs in DCS actually firing on vehicles.

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

5 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

The animation yes, but you never have 40 EFPs in DCS actually firing on vehicles.

I am fairly certain I count more than 40 submunition explosions going off, If the skeet does not detect a target under it's footprint it will detonate on contact with the ground (At least from what data I have read on the CBU-97, and it is far from certain all skeets will detect targets, even under the most ideal circumstances.

• Like 1

i7 9700K, Asus Z390 Prime A, Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, GeForce RTX 2080 Ti STRIX ROG, Fractal Design Define R6, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind, Oculus Rift S. 32 GB 3200 MHz RAM

The number of visible and the number of simulated submunitions are different in DCS. If you pause and physically count the number of BLU-97s or Mk 108s released from a CBU-87 or Rockeye II dispenser you won't find the real number. However all of them are there in the code, following trajectories and hitting targets. They're just invisible. You can go into the LUA files and type in that all are visible but your framerate will tank.  I wouldn't be surprised if the BLU-108 is the same story.

• Like 1

On the CBU-97, and CBU-105 they are alle there, and each skeet is animated being ejected and seeking from the submunition, hell the entire deployment sequence is animated correctly from split, to the rocket ignition and spinup to skeet release, even selfdestruction of skeet not finding targets are there.

• Like 2

The problem with the JSOW is that it looks seriously badass but is in reality a bit of a feather duster. A sheep in wolf’s clothing.

• Like 1

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5