Drag Indexes

Zaneboy

Hello all,

My question is not related to the DCS module but I suppose this is the best location for my question. I'm currently going through the F-14B NAVAIR manual and checklist in order to find information on various flight regimes. If I'm not mistaken we need to look at AOA units and not specified airspeeds to achieve a specific flight regime.

In the F-14B NAVAIR Manual at page 14-2, figure 14-1 you can find a table of recommended AOA units for specific drag indexes for various flight conditions. Either it states 'all drag indexes' or 'drag index = 8' & 'drag index = 100' as a flight condition reference. In that document, 'drag index = 8' equals four AIM-7 missiles and 'drag index = 100' equals six AIM-54 missiles and two external tanks. For 'drag index = 8' I assume they use a load-out of four AIM-7's on stations 3, 6, 5 & 4 since in the F-14B NAVAIR pocket checklist on page 223 each of those stations equal a drag index of two. Whereas on stations 1B & 8B it's a drag index 6 per station. Now here comes the confusing part.. in the F-14B NAVAIR pocket checklist drag table, AIM-54's on stations 3 and 4 have a drag index of twelve and eight respectively. The same goes for stations 6 and 5 which also have drag index 12 and 8 respectively. Both stations 1B & 8B have a drag index twelve with the AIM-54. The external fuel tanks both have drag index 10 which includes both tank racks.

If we use the values in the pocket checklist; for a load-out of six AIM-54's and two tanks we'd have a total drag index of 84. This excludes the AIM-54 weapons railings on stations 3, 4, 5 and 6 which have a drag index 10 each. If we'd include these railings then we'd have a total drag index of 124. Both of these values (in my opinion) deviate a LOT from the mentioned drag index 100 in the F-14 Manual document.

Would anyone know where this discrepancy would come from? I'm trying to write down some reference material for my fellow squad mates and I'd rather present them info as accurate as possibly.

Kr,

Zane