What does the simplified Air to air refuelling mean?

Gunfreak

Simplified in Serpents Head you initiate contact with the tanker, and that is the only contact you need to make. Then just position the jet approximately where it should be ( note tanker does not extend the fuel hose), and you will very shortly get a refuel complete message. I do go ahead and extend my fuel probe as I close in on the tanker just to help immersion a little, not sure that is required.

Nice and easy for those of us that have not quite mastered that fine art yet.

Note he also includes simplified version in his just released Rise of the Persian Lion campaign which will be a great follow up after completing Serpents Head 2.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

so nice to hear that campaign builders have built this in. I suck at AAR and it prevents me from doing camagns. I practice its just been difficult for me.

• Like 1

Ryzen9 5800X3D, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite, 32Gb Gskill Trident DDR4 3600 CL16, Samsung 990 Pr0 1Tb Nvme Gen4, Evo860 1Tb 2.5 SSD and Team 1Tb 2.5 SSD, MSI Suprim X RTX4090 , Corsair h115i Platinum AIO, NZXT H710i case, Seasonic Focus 850W psu, Gigabyte Aorus AD27QHD Gsync 1ms IPS 2k monitor 144Mhz, Track ir4, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate w/extension, Virpil T50 CM3 Throttle, Saitek terrible pedals, RiftS

58 minutes ago, dburne said:

Simplified in Serpents Head you initiate contact with the tanker, and that is the only contact you need to make. Then just position the jet approximately where it should be ( note tanker does not extend the fuel hose), and you will very shortly get a refuel complete message. I do go ahead and extend my fuel probe as I close in on the tanker just to help immersion a little, not sure that is required.

Nice and easy for those of us that have not quite mastered that fine art yet.

Note he also includes simplified version in his just released Rise of the Persian Lion campaign which will be a great follow up after completing Serpents Head 2.

I was kinda hoping, they'd give you a little cheat (like the basket having an invisible wall making it easier to hit and that the tanker matched your speed etc.

I've practiced AAR 3 hours the last two days, got pretty close today. But man it's hard. But even if I did mange it once, I'll spend like a  hour in each mission trying to do it.

If it had just been 10-15% easier.  I could probably have done it quite well repeatedly. 

But I think I'll have to use the "easy mode" for now.

• Like 1

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

30 minutes ago, Gunfreak said:

I was kinda hoping, they'd give you a little cheat (like the basket having an invisible wall making it easier to hit and that the tanker matched your speed etc.

I've practiced AAR 3 hours the last two days, got pretty close today. But man it's hard. But even if I did mange it once, I'll spend like a  hour in each mission trying to do it.

If it had just been 10-15% easier.  I could probably have done it quite well repeatedly. 

That is what I am doing.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

13 hours ago, Gunfreak said:

Hard  not  really,  once  you mastered  aar  you  find it  quite  easy your  probably  strangling  your  joystick 🙂  not  the  way  to go  ,  try   using  less pressure on  your  hands plus  iam using  vr  which makes it  even  easier

Edited by pete_auau

I'm getting there as well.
FINALLY!!!
Having a go now every day in the IA/refueling mission for the Viper and the Bug. I'm getting better every day.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, pete_auau said:

Hard  not  really,  once  you mastered  aar  you  find it  quite  easy your  probably  strangling  your  joystick 🙂  not  the  way  to go  ,  try   using  less pressure on  your  hands plus  iam using  vr  which makes it  even  easier

I'm using VR too, my problem is controling the throttle and stick at the same time, even 1knot to fast and you overshoot, one knot to low and you never get to the basket, 

1 minute ago, Gunfreak said:

I'm using VR too, my problem is controling the throttle and stick at the same time, even 1knot to fast and you overshoot, one knot to low and you never get to the basket, 

Yeah one has to continually manipulate the throttle and little fore and aft.

• Like 1

Don B

9 minutes ago, dburne said:

Yeah one has to continually manipulate the throttle and little fore and aft.

I do try that, I even have the Taurus from Winwing, which has extremly fine control, still having problems doing it, I'm sure it's just practice. I generally have bad throttle control no mater what I fly and do. 

• Like 1

On 7/25/2021 at 1:58 PM, DocSigma said:

so nice to hear that campaign builders have built this in. I suck at AAR and it prevents me from doing camagns. I practice its just been difficult for me.

There are actually very few campaigns that really require AAR. And many that do these days provide some way around it. My Hornet campaign for example (link in sig) includes tankers in every mission but you'd only need them if you wasted a bunch of fuel flying the mission. 

It's also one of those things that gets easier with practice, just like landing. I actually find AAR relaxing now, no one is trying to kill me, I just have to fly the jet good. 

On 7/25/2021 at 8:58 PM, DocSigma said:

I practice its just been difficult for me.

Keep on practice, AAR is realy satisfying and once you're familiar with it, it's pretty easy as well.  Keep your eyes on the tanker instead of the drogue. When close/connected to the basket move your stick only half as much as you think you'd need to. Decrease throttle as soon as you register acceleration and vice versa. Sounds weird, but works. Once you mastered it, stay trained and do it regulary to maintain your skill.

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

17 hours ago, Gunfreak said:

yea  with the  throttles  u need  to move  back  and  fwds,  but  with  the  stick  once  you  got   the  aircraft  trimmed   you  really  don't  need  to move  the  stick at  all, if  at all  very  slightly

Edited by pete_auau

• 4 months later...

It took me quite a while to get the hang of AAR and now have it, around 63 recorded in my logbook.  I was trying for just over an half an hour and no matter how perfect it seemed, it just wouldn't plug in.  I noticed that if I don't get the call "CLEARED CONTACT" I never became connected.  Once I figured that little tid bit out than I plugged in easily.  I found that I needed to be less then 0.2 miles in the HUD distance to TACAN channel to get that call "CLEARED CONTACT."  Oh and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE worked too!!!

I agree with some of the other statements on very gentle touch to the joystick and throttle.  When I get close to the tanker (within a mile) I switch to two fingers and a thumb on my joystick and walk the throttles a bit here and there.  My throttles are always moving somewhat.  Getting the proper approach picture in your HUD will help to.  I watched the YouTube video below and it helped a lot.

Happy Flying and much success on AAR practicing.  Don't get frustrated, it ain't easy until you get it!

Wayne

• Like 1

Wayne Wilson

AKA: hrnet940

Alienware Aurora R3, i7 3820 3.5GHz(4.2GHz setting) processor, EVGA Nvidia RTX 2070 8GB Graphics, 16GB Ram, 1TB SSD.