A-10A Multiplayer?

Individual1

Hello gents...

My son is 7, flies the F5, however it doesn't have AGM65 or CCIP/CCRP bombing.  He wants the A10, but the A-10C is IMO just too complex for him.  However, for $14.99 the A-10A seems like it would work great.

We often fly together in Multiplayer servers; can the A-10A zone into Multiplayer servers with me flying the F18 or F5, or is there any quirks to where it cannot?  

Edited by Individual1

• Individual1 changed the title to A-10A Multiplayer?

I don't see any problem beside:

1. A-10 is slow. Flying together in a fast jet will be a patience exercise.

2. Choose proper scenario to both get some targets and not too strong defences. You can do CAP while he does CAS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

In addition to the points @draconus also kindly mentioned:

• The A-10A has a 'low-fidelity' cockpit. If your son is used to the (excellent) F5, he may be disappointed that he has to press buttons instead of being able to click on switches.
  • The A-10A (and C variant) is positively benign to fly compared to the Tiger. Your son may not like the Hog's more sedate pace of flying, so you may also want to look  at the "Flaming Cliffs" bundle which packages not only the A-10A, but also some faster planes, all with 'low fidelity' cockpits. 
  • Since the Hog is built to wallow in the mud and the hornet to zoom above it, having a mission that equally employs both can be difficult since your mission profiles will be different: Hornet flying cover, Hog digging in. There are good ones available (here's a free one I wrote, so I'm biased and can't objectively say if it's good) so try them yourself (see note on self-hosting below in case you didn't know you can do that)
  • Be advised that unlike the Tiger, the "A"-Hog does not employ Laser-guided Munitions (the "C" does, though), so you can't buddy-lase Mavs for your son, nor can he use JTACs or other ground-based lasing mechanisms to guide munitions.

Note that all planes in the DCS world work well with multiplayer, so that won't ever be a concern. It's just that not all MP scenarios have open slots for all plane types. Also note that you can easily host your own private mission and fly that same mission, so you are not at all dependent on other servers. 

Have fun,

-ch

Edited by cfrag
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Individual1 said:

My son is 7, flies the F5...

btw, my son (7) tried F-15C and A-10A but he's not really into it - he says it's a game for adults :dunno:

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

@CFRAG

I ended up pulling the trigger and getting him the A-10A for 14.99.  

The main reason he wanted it, was because he watches me use the FLIR for guided AGM84's on the F18 and he's jealous.  The A10A does have guided "fire and forget" Mavricks; they work great and it's "dumbed" down.  So far he likes it and it was a great buy (for him/7 years old).  I wish I would have got this over the F5, because even though I got the F5 on sale, it was more than $15.   Lol

So now if we do multi player, he flies the F5; most of the multiplayer servers don't have the a10a as an available aircraft to use.

Edited by Individual1

On 7/27/2021 at 11:09 AM, Individual1 said:

@CFRAG

I ended up pulling the trigger and getting him the A-10A for 14.99.  

The main reason he wanted it, was because he watches me use the FLIR for guided AGM84's on the F18 and he's jealous.  The A10A does have guided "fire and forget" Mavricks; they work great and it's "dumbed" down.  So far he likes it and it was a great buy (for him/7 years old).  I wish I would have got this over the F5, because even though I got the F5 on sale, it was more than $15.   Lol

So now if we do multi player, he flies the F5; most of the multiplayer servers don't have the a10a as an available aircraft to use.

Guess it depends on the servers you're playing. I fly the A10A on quite a few MP servers. I'm still trying to learn the  basics of the A10C.

If he likes the F5, he may want to try the A-4E. It's a free high fidelity mod that's fun to fly. I've only found 1 MP server using it, The Vietnam War Server, but it's a good server with fun missions and there's usually a few people flying in the evenings.