Worse performance from last patch?

5ephir0th

Has anyone experienced a worse performance from last patch? Recently i don´t flight the Tomcat much but i never remembered it so stuttering i have now.

Caucasus BFM lion and sun, start de mission, look left or right and roll, full of stutter, start the combat and more stutter, take the mission to the editor, change Tomcat for Hornet and sooooo smooth.

I know that Tomcat its more resource hungry than any other module but i dont remember to pass from smooth on any other plane to full of stutter

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

You're stuttering with a 3080ti what are your settings? No difference to me since update. Same GPU as you.

Modules: F-14A/B | F-15C | F-16C | F/A-18C | SU-33 | Spitfire Mk IX | AH-64D | UH-1 | Super Carrier | Combined Arms | Persian Gulf | Syria | NTTR

Setup: VKB Gunfighter Mk.III F-14 CE HOTAS | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | MFG Crosswind V3 | Custom switch panel | Tek Creations F14 Display Panel | Custom F14 Left Vertical Console | Custom IR Tracker | Custom butt kicker

PC: i7 11700K | 64GB G-Skill DDR4 3600MHz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | DCS dedicated 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD | 3440x1440 144hz 34" ultrawide

Same, no visible changes here. Yet i'm on the low end of the spectrum when hardware capabilities go. 1080p screen, NVidea 1060 with 6GB RAM, most settings on high. Visibility to high. Terrain shadows to flat since the Marianas came about. 

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

I've definitely been getting more micro pauses lately. My game pauses for approximately 10-15 frames and does so about once every minute or two. Extremely annoying. But I don't fly anything other than the Cat these days so I'm not sure if it's a Tomcat problem or a DCS issue.

23 hours ago, captain_dalan said:

Same, no visible changes here. Yet i'm on the low end of the spectrum when hardware capabilities go. 1080p screen, NVidea 1060 with 6GB RAM, most settings on high. Visibility to high. Terrain shadows to flat since the Marianas came about. 

Yeah Marianas is brutal, mine struggles to hold 50fps while coming into Anderson, and I've got shadows on low.

Modules: F-14A/B | F-15C | F-16C | F/A-18C | SU-33 | Spitfire Mk IX | AH-64D | UH-1 | Super Carrier | Combined Arms | Persian Gulf | Syria | NTTR

Setup: VKB Gunfighter Mk.III F-14 CE HOTAS | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | MFG Crosswind V3 | Custom switch panel | Tek Creations F14 Display Panel | Custom F14 Left Vertical Console | Custom IR Tracker | Custom butt kicker

PC: i7 11700K | 64GB G-Skill DDR4 3600MHz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | DCS dedicated 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD | 3440x1440 144hz 34" ultrawide

3 hours ago, Hector45 said:

Yeah Marianas is brutal, mine struggles to hold 50fps while coming into Anderson, and I've got shadows on low.

Extremely low, as in on final, my FPS drops to mid-high 30's. But i don't need that high frame-rate to land. Above 2-3000 feet, yeah, just above the forests, it drops to mid 40's at times. But generally it sticks around 50.

EDIT: low terrain shadows give you better performance then flat?

Edited by captain_dalan

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

1 hour ago, captain_dalan said:

Extremely low, as in on final, my FPS drops to mid-high 30's. But i don't need that high frame-rate to land. Above 2-3000 feet, yeah, just above the forests, it drops to mid 40's at times. But generally it sticks around 50.

EDIT: low terrain shadows give you better performance then flat?

No, flat shadows gives best performance, I just find it too noticeable ie. no active shadows in cockpit and no shadow on carrier island, so I go with low. Diff between low and high is less noticeable for me.

EDIT: Forgot there are two different settings, "shadows" and also "terrain object shadows". I believe "TOS" is the one if set to flat makes the carrier island not cast a shadow. If "shadows" setting is set to flat, that is the one that removes shadows from the cockpit.

I had "shadows" set to Low and "TOS" set to default, going to see if I get an FPS bump setting TOS to flat. There is a really good comparison video of all graphics setting, (link below) and I don't see much difference between TOS setting of flat or default but about a 10 FPS difference.

DCS 2.7 | Side-by-Side Comparison

Edited by Hector45
  • Like 1

On 7/27/2021 at 6:16 PM, Hector45 said:

No, flat shadows gives best performance, I just find it too noticeable ie. no active shadows in cockpit and no shadow on carrier island, so I go with low. Diff between low and high is less noticeable for me.

EDIT: Forgot there are two different settings, "shadows" and also "terrain object shadows". I believe "TOS" is the one if set to flat makes the carrier island not cast a shadow. If "shadows" setting is set to flat, that is the one that removes shadows from the cockpit.

I had "shadows" set to Low and "TOS" set to default, going to see if I get an FPS bump setting TOS to flat. There is a really good comparison video of all graphics setting, (link below) and I don't see much difference between TOS setting of flat or default but about a 10 FPS difference.

DCS 2.7 | Side-by-Side Comparison

Yeah, i use high shadows for in-cockpit and flat for terrain object shadows. I used the stay away from flat for the same reasons as you, but the Marianas are just too much of a performance impact for me and those 10FPS actually do matter when over the islands 😕

• 4 months later...

Hello, same issue here.

i9-10900K with 3080Ti on 4K default High settings.

Tested on every map with A-10C II, F14, F16, F18. F14 is the only module that causes this stutter. Very Annoying. Every other module can run at over 70 fps on all the maps, flying with the F14 module will causes the fps drop to only 5 at the worst.

About 1 year ago the F14 module won't cause such problem. Maybe something changed?

• Like 1

RTX 3070

Thank you for the reports guys, although nothing changed on our side in this regard, so it strikes me as a bit odd. We will investigate.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

For what is worth, on Caucasus, in the carrier quals missions, i actually get 3-4+ FPS after the latest patch, but that may be ED optimizing water rendering? 

No change here.  Higher end settings.  Trapped fine 5 or 6 times on Bankler's Case I trainer.

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

Definitely worse performance than previous patch. Not just related to our beloved 14. 9600K with a 2070, so not a spectacular rig but good enough to run 1440 at 60-100 fps depending on the situation. But I can tell flying over cities especially that frames have decreased from the previous patch. 

I’ve also noticed a performance hit in VR since the last patch but it’s definitely not related to the F14 module. I’ve experienced frame drops and my headset blanking out in the F/A18, the P51 and the Spitfire too.

Edited by Q3ark

I've also noticed a strange issue - it is not related to a specific plane. Although performance in general did not get worse, but still is a problem, now
I get some strange "blackouts" when looking at the mirror, especially over cities. These "blackouts" have nothing to do with the intended blackouts
after harsh manoeuvres - no, is when flying level over a city and checking the mirror. If I turn off the mirror, the problem is gone.

I upgraded my rig recently and I don't push the graphic settings to the limits. I really start loosing my patience! The modules are definitively NOT
cheap and I spent a lot of money for DCS. I ask myself if I can expect some optimization for DCS World from ED or do I have to change my hardware
every quarter or after every major update? This is nonsense!

13 minutes ago, THERION said:

This is nonsense!

This is OT.

Known Issues

• With enabled mirrors black flashes may appear in some cases.
  • Thanks 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria