We Want To Hear Your Ideas For A New Map In DCS!

Aleutian Island chain and Bering Straight. Where Russia meets USA at gates to Arctic and all that oil and gas under all that ice where both Russian and American SSBNs and SSNs lurk. Aleutian Islands and American Diomede are most vulnerable US territory to enemy occupation. In fact Aleutians were the only US territory on North America to be occupied for more then a month during WWII. Aleutian Islands campaign was a cold , soggy , miserable , bloody mess for Americans and Japanese.

Northern Hokkaido and Kuril Islands Chain.

• Like 1

Vietnam or Baltic would be my preferences.

Id love a Fulda gap.  However, that would mean a LOT of cities and buildings, which currently kill frame rates.  So I’d rather see maps such as Vietnam first, the more complex maps at a later date,  by which time we’ll hopefully have multi-core CPU support and Vulkan

• Like 3

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

My list (although some map sizes may become too large to be possible), but anyways:

1. Balkan area with East side of Italy (time frame 1990-2000)
  2. Kuwait/Iraq (time frame 1990-2010)
  3. Afghanistan East (Kabul) area (time frame 2000-current)
  4. Vietnam (1964-1975)

(Vietnam would no doubt be my absolute number one favorite, if only we had some more modules and ground units from this era)

Edited by sirrah
  • Like 3

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

3 minutes ago, sirrah said:

My list (although some map sizes may become too large to be possible), but anyways:

1. Balkan area with East side of Italy (time frame 1990-2000)
  2. Kuwait/Iraq (time frame 1990-2010)
  3. Afghanistan East (Kabul) area (time frame 2000-current)
  4. Vietnam (1964-1975)

(Vietnam would no doubt be my absolute number one favorite, if only we had some more modules from this era)

This is exactly my feelings about Maps. Nothing more, nothing better.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

My opinion is that we already have enough maps, I would far rather that the existing ones were brought up the standard of the latest ones. NTTR would be awesome with the same detail and textures as Marianas or Syria......

• Like 3

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Virpil CM3 base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

My opinion is that we already have enough maps, I would far rather that the existing ones were brought up the standard of the latest ones. NTTR would be awesome with the same detail and textures as Marianas or Syria......
Well, I guess a new 3rd party won't be privy to fixing older maps, and to me, Syria is the only map that's makes sense anyway.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Still waiting for the Afghanistan map here... Basically, since DCS: A-10C Warthog. 😎

I'll take Iraq or Balkans, as well.

Far more interesting would be a way to stitch current Syria, Caucasus and Persian Gulf maps on a "globe" and make transition between maps possible. A simple flat texture "placeholder" outside the maps would be good enough...

I know this is very difficult to do, but a man can dream.

• Like 3

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

10 minutes ago, shagrat said:

Far more interesting would be a way to stitch current Syria, Caucasus and Persian Gulf maps on a "globe" and make transition between maps possible. A simple flat texture "placeholder" outside the maps would be good enough...

I know this is very difficult to do, but a man can dream.

I share this dream like many others. Instead of a simple placeholder there could be downloaded data of the real world but of course much, much more simplified than the civil sim that has that for the whole world.

Now back to topic... 😉

• Like 1

The Baltics would be awesome, capturing a poriton of Finland, Sweden, the Baltic states ofc, Russia, Belarus, Poland, and maybe Germany/Denmark. Plus, it would be great both from a Cold war style scenario, and for a modern scenario as well.

Edited by Left Wing
  • Like 4

Modules:

MiG-15bis, MiG-19P, MiG-21Bis, L-39, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24, FC3, A-10C II Tank Killer, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, Gazelle, AH-64D, AJS 37 Viggen,  F-5E, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, AV-8B/NA, JF-17, C-101, Bf 109 K-4, Fw-190 A8, Fw-190 D9, F-86F, P-47D-30, P-51D, Spitfire IX, Mosquito FB VI

Maps/Mods:

Caucasus, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada, The Channel, Normandy, Marianas, SC, CA, A-4E, MB-339

Where to start...? BALTAP and GIUK would be great, as would the Fulda Gap, but really most of the BLUEFOR aircraft are too modern, we should really have the 'A' model Viper, Hornet and A-10 for those 80's scenarios (and F-111!).

60s/70s Vietnam with the right asset packs and modules (F-4, F-105, A-6, AH-1). Probably far too big though, especially if you were to include bases in Thailand.

Libya could be a good option, but visually quite similar to the Syria/SoH map. 

The Korean peninsula makes a lot of sense, especially if offered in different eras (50s, 00s), like the Marianas map.

The Aegean sea would be the right sort of size, plenty of water and a contemporary Greco-Turkish conflict would be well catered for with the current DCS units.

A bit more left-field and I would go Angola/Namibia, Cuba/Florida, or Panama Canal.

However, the best fitting option for our current modules and rough 90s-00s timeframe would be the Taiwan straights, or the Balkans/Yugoslavia.

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

My favorites would be:

1. Vietnam with Cambodia and Laos (mid 60s to early 70s)

2. Late 80s Germany, maybe with Poland,  Denmark and Czech parts

3. Chernobyl 1986, maybe with option to choose pre- and post April 26. Would he great for helicopters 🙂

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hypersteff said:

3. Chernobyl 1986, maybe with option to choose pre- and post April 26. Would he great for helicopters 🙂

Not much broader appeal with that one, but it could be the start of an interesting concept - the Mini Map.  Mini Maps could be much smaller (obviously) maps of specific areas, designed primarily for helicopter and CA operations.  How about Mogadishu, Konna (Mali), Bo Town (Sierra Leone), Grenada?

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

On 7/28/2021 at 11:02 AM, markturner1960 said:

We have a decent selection of maps, but none are truly theater scale, and there is quite a bit of unique terrain that DCS doesn't have yet. The Black Sea map is the only region with any kind of large mountains, and Syria is the only place where you might realistically see a carrier (I guess Marianas fits that now too).

Whether we update existing maps or create new one's I definitely think we need a larger map before we can say there is enough, at least in my opinion. I'd actually prefer that over a texture update.

• Like 1

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

I do feel a bit like any other map we do now with the current tech will be a variation of the green or brown theme, so if it was up to me I would suggest

1. Vulkan optimisation to get proper use off the cores without so much bandwidth dependent throttling

2. Spherical projection to get proper line of site and lead towards

3. World map where scenerys integrate seemlessly.

I think once those are done there would be enough change to the engine that new maps would be able to add variety again

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

I do feel a bit like any other map we do now with the current tech will be a variation of the green or brown theme, so if it was up to me I would suggest
1. Vulkan optimisation to get proper use off the cores without so much bandwidth dependent throttling
2. Spherical projection to get proper line of site and lead towards
3. World map where scenerys integrate seemlessly.
I think once those are done there would be enough change to the engine that new maps would be able to add variety again

Yeah, but that must come from ED I guess, and not a new third party.
Unless I completely missed your point.

Sorry yes you are right it was a general statement about dev priorities rather than something for a third party.

If we are talking third party specific, while its kinda more brown I would rather see the rest of turkey, or the missing part of Iraq and PG so that when we get the world engine we have a contiguous flight between the existing maps to give a proper strategic theatre

• Like 2

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

Sorry yes you are right it was a general statement about dev priorities rather than something for a third party.
If we are talking third party specific, while its kinda more brown I would rather see the rest of turkey, or the missing part of Iraq and PG so that when we get the world engine we have a contiguous flight between the existing maps to give a proper strategic theatre
I'm all with you!

At this juncture with the currently available modules, and ones on the way, the sim is in need of a Vietnam map...I think this is money on the table just waiting...

Grab it before someone else does.

MiG 19

MiG 17

A-6

A-7

Huey

A-4 mod

F-14A in the "what if the war lasted a few more months" scenario.

Perhaps an actual F-4 down the road by a third party...yes a Vietnam appropriate variant would be the smartest move if I do say so.

Plenty in DCS for a Vietnam/Southeast Asia map.

My second choice, Solomon Islands or a generic 'islands' map that can stand-in for a variety of Pacific settings.

Korea can make use of several modules, MiG 15 and and Sabre obviously, as well as the Mustang and upcoming Corsiar.

Southeast Asia is probably the best bet though all things considered. Although who knows when, I'm betting on a Cobra at some point too.

Edited by Gambit21
  • Like 3