We Want To Hear Your Ideas For A New Map In DCS!

Viet Nam is one country for consideration because of America's involvement in that costly war.  For the map, it would be nice to incorporate B-52 bombers.  Adding the Combined Arms Campaign functionality to the Viet Nam map would be great.

Some other maps to consider would be for East Asia:  North Korea, South Korea, China, and Japan.  East Asia continues to be a large hot spot for potential conflicts, especially with China.  On the other hand, North Korea is likely to go to war unprovoked.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SharkWizard said:

giuk-map.png

My humble suggestion for a GIUK-gap map. Includes two military airbases: Keflavík and Kinloss? (or is it Lossiemouth) afaik. Loads of runways and ocean real estate.

The GUIK gap would be a great place to have the American and Soviet/Russian submarines attack each other.  Additionally, it is also a great location for maritime aircraft missions.  This part of the world is cited in the popular movie called "The Hunt for Red October."

Edited by Fighter Mike
  • Like 3

When you are looking at maps, have you explored the feasibility of creating a DCS map for Mexico, Latin America, and South America?  You have the Pacific Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico along with Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, and other important places such as Cuba.  This map would be great to play assorted missions.  Of course, the players' imaginations and the sky are the only limits to the possibly missions/campaigns they can create.

On 7/26/2021 at 7:17 AM, G.J.S said:

Could be an interesting area . . . .

2D91326C-6031-4FC3-84A0-62F4993D0A80.jpeg

When I saw this map, I noticed potential missions and campaigns for Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Belarus, and Russia.  This part of the world would be great for missions for the 1960-1990's.  Of course, we can be creative with other potential campaigns going from the 2000's to present-day.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Fighter Mike said:

When I saw this map, I noticed potential missions and campaigns for Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Belarus, and Russia.  This part of the world would be great for missions for the 1960-1990's.  Of course, we can be creative with other potential campaigns going from the 2000's to present-day.  

Yeah and Kaliningrad is also right there as well which opens up modern scenarios as well.

I would like Italy in both 1944 WW2 map and Modern .

There are 2 categories of fighter pilots: those who have performed, and those who someday will perform, a magnificent defensive break turn toward a bug on the canopy. Robert Shaw

17 hours ago, Fighter Mike said:

But how would we replicate "Moscow to Minsk" without Moskva??

(jk!)

Actually I quite like your map proposal! I think there's a LOT of potential for fictional and historical scenarios... not sure how much actual historical from WW2 but there could be many "semi-fictional what-if WW2" scenarios. Then Cold War scenarios could be very numerous and varied with those locations, with some interesting gameplay, I think.

The huge problem is your proposed map size, which today is about 1400km by 1400km, where most DCS maps today are roughly 550km by 550km, that's a MASSIVE jump in data for the map and game engine. But in future this should be doable, not sure how far into future, but maybe 3 to 5 years I think. Might take that long to get such a map in the store anyway.... but I do like your proposal! 

Thank you for your response.  I am glad you liked my idea.  When it comes to the online map making, I will defer to your expertise.  I understand that a map I suggested is a large undertaking, which would likely involve a large amount of people and resources in order to create it.  

Fighter Mike

On 8/26/2021 at 4:44 PM, SharkWizard said:

giuk-map.png

My humble suggestion for a GIUK-gap map. Includes two military airbases: Keflavík and Kinloss? (or is it Lossiemouth) afaik. Loads of runways and ocean real estate.

For the sake of making things more interesting, we could add ICBM silos or Ground Launched Cruise Missle bases for Greenland or Iceland.  It would add more features, which is likely to inspire other players to create some unique missions and/or campaigns.

• Like 1

Oh I have no expertise in maps or how to make them! I just know roughly what map sizes there are, and that the larger ones are much less "object dense". I picked the 550x550km based on the Syria map specifically, because when it first came out, quite a few complained about framerates, but that complaint seems to have gone away. Also, it seems to have the most object and terrain details of all the maps... since DCS works well with Syria, then to me that is the new benchmark to consider future projects with.

So regarding map size, according to a dev from Razbam who is working on the South Atlantic map (Falkland Islands and a portion of Argentina, with a LOT of water in between), that map was already at about 12 gigs worth of data in August 2020, and may well have grown since then. Remember, that's a map with mostly water, and the islands have almost no trees, very few roads, almost barren hills really.

I've no idea how much more data would be involved with milions of object counts, for a much more object dense map. 

On 7/27/2021 at 12:09 AM, draconus said:

When people asked for the all-water/ocean map they wanted one that is very light on PC resources. Marianas turned out to be the opposite of that.

What made that so?  I think the maker of the Falklands Map said open ocean on a map is not free.  I'd like to understand why a 500nm x 500nm map with no land at all would task PC resources.

On the NTTR Map there are surrounding areas of low-detail terrain that look ok from high altitude but not from low altitude.  Does that save on resources?  If so, can a large area map have a medium detail corridor between two high detail areas?  Would that save on PC resources?  

Vietnam Map, circa 1967. 

I think this illustration (attached) from the Internet describes pretty well what needs to be mapped.

High details in about a 7nm radius around airbases in Thailand, northern South Vietnam and in all of the Route Pack IV, V & VI areas of North Vietnam.

Medium levels of detail in the areas of Thailand and Laos in between the airbases and North Vietnam.

Low levels of detail in adjacent areas.

I think this would provide sufficient detail for missions from the historical airbases in Thailand and from carriers at Yankee Station in the South China Sea, to historical targets in North Vietnam.

I think this map would be best because it historically involved many types of aircraft and many types of missions.  The players are always free to use whatever aircraft and ground forces they want, of course...as they can do on any map.  Plenty of Air-to-air, air-to-ground, land-based and carrier-based missions...almost everything involving in-flight refueling.

However, this map needs some more aircraft modules...

Chiefly... the F-105D Thunderchief and the F-4B & C Phantom II.

Also, the F-100D(or F) Super Sabre, a full version of the A-4E Skyhawk, the MiG-17F, and the A-1E Skyraider...would all be nice.

Modules needed as AI aircraft:  KC-135A (just retro-engine the -135R), KA-3D, HH-3E "Jolly Green" 

Modules already in existence:  MiG-21 & MiG-19, F-5E, UH-1H ...even if not the correct versions of these aircraft. 

Resources in existence:  zu-23-2, zsu-57, (WWII 88mm flak guns to stand in for 85mm and 100mm AAA), and the SA-2 SAM and radar systems.

Modules in development (apparently):  F-8J Crusader & A-7E Corsair II.

Again...these aircraft would be ideal for scenarios in the time of the Vietnam War.  But any aircraft could be used, of course.

Vietnam F-105 Missions Map.jpg

• Like 4

Libya,

Lots of F14 and carrier missions here during the 1980s, as well as some during the uprising a few years back. Isn't someone working on Carriers that were in service at the time? Also I believe the A7 and A6 Intruder are on the Horizon as well.

Challenge Col Muammar Gaddafi and cross his line of death! OR Evacuate Embassy personnel from Benghazi (Historical rewrite of past events)

Map is 800x 500 KM mostly desert and coastal cities. Stretch the map a little bit more north and you can maybe grab an airbase or two in southern Italy/ Sicily, Malta.

F14, F18 vs Mig-23, Mig-25 With a land base you can include other blue non naval planes.

With only 2 or 3 major cities could be faster to develop then a Central Europe or other largely populated map like Taiwan.

Yes its another desert map, but probably a good one to start with if your a new developer. I know I would buy it.

Libya.jpg

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Andrew8604 said:

What made that so?  I think the maker of the Falklands Map said open ocean on a map is not free.  I'd like to understand why a 500nm x 500nm map with no land at all would task PC resources.

On the NTTR Map there are surrounding areas of low-detail terrain that look ok from high altitude but not from low altitude.  Does that save on resources?  If so, can a large area map have a medium detail corridor between two high detail areas?  Would that save on PC resources?  

Mixing the fidelity of a map on it's parts high/medium/low and back was never done before and I doubt it will. Imho it's not a good idea because nobody wants to see low fidelity parts on the low alt routes and anything added in ME to these parts will stick out badly. Can't be autogen also because of the mission objects placement reasons.

What made Marianas so taxing on PCs? ED only says that it's new tech EDGE 2.7 terrain engine and the islands are very demanding because of high res mesh and high object count. We'll wait and see if some optimisations change things for the better. I haven't tried if flying more into blue waters make fps go high in Marianas as in other maps at sea or over low fidelity areas.

With all that in mind I don't think we'll see such huge and detailed map as DCS Vietnam in near future.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

1 hour ago, Rick50 said:

Caucasus map.  start Anapa, fly west... keep flying west. 

You'll fly outside of high fidelity area and that's it. Next high fidelity area... NTTR 🙂

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

17 hours ago, Wdigman said:

Libya,

Lots of F14 and carrier missions here during the 1980s, as well as some during the uprising a few years back. Isn't someone working on Carriers that were in service at the time? Also I believe the A7 and A6 Intruder are on the Horizon as well.

Challenge Col Muammar Gaddafi and cross his line of death! OR Evacuate Embassy personnel from Benghazi (Historical rewrite of past events)

Map is 800x 500 KM mostly desert and coastal cities. Stretch the map a little bit more north and you can maybe grab an airbase or two in southern Italy/ Sicily, Malta.

F14, F18 vs Mig-23, Mig-25 With a land base you can include other blue non naval planes.

With only 2 or 3 major cities could be faster to develop then a Central Europe or other largely populated map like Taiwan.

Yes its another desert map, but probably a good one to start with if your a new developer. I know I would buy it.

Libya.jpg

For the Libya map, a creative developer could include WMD.  WMD was available during the 1980's.  It would make for some interesting missions.

Is it possible or feasible to create this type of map?  Create a map that involves the South Pole and/or Antarctica.  Creative minds can place airfields, harbors, bunkers, and other buildings for military bases.  After that, place precious resources like gold, uranium, natural gas, and more.  To attract civilians, thermal springs can be added for heat and power for the buildings in the map.  To make life more interesting, you can add solar cell farms or windmill farms.  

• Like 1