We Want To Hear Your Ideas For A New Map In DCS!

Looking at all the modules currently available in DCS, I'd like to see a North Cape map.

image.png

This would allow for:

* carrier ops 

* modern day as well as cold war scenarios

* a nice battle ground for the Viggen (although Sweden would not be in that map, but close)

* would provide a reasonable background for smaller sized scenarios to save fps performance (I'd also love to see a German Fulda gap map, but trying to play a full blown WW3 scenario would probably bring DCS down on it's knees)  

Provided DCS gives us more Vietnam era modules (F4, A-6, A-7, F-8, F-105), I'd also like to see a Vietnam map. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Afghanistan with complimentary ground force pack would equal loads of fun times to be had in Apache. 😍

PC: i7 8700k 32GB DDR4 3200 Mhz  RTX 3070 Ti Hotas Warthog Thrustmaster TPR Track ir 5 Bodnar BBI-32 Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Lewitt LCT 240 Pro
Jets: A-10A A-10C Warthog A-10C II F-14 Tomcat F-16C Viper F-5E Tiger II F/A-18C Hornet F-15C Su-33 MiG-29 F-86F Sabre 
Choppers: AH-64D Mi-8MTV2 UH-1H Huey Black shark 2 Maps: Nevada Normandy Persian gulf Syria The Channel 
WW2: BF-109 K4 Fw 190 D-9 Dora Mosquito FB VI P-51D Mustang Spitfire LF Mk. IX  Other: Supercarrier WWII Assets Pack NS 430 Navigation System Combined Arms 

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to see a collection of North Africa Maps.  They should focus on Libya, Egypt (the Sinai) and Israel.  This would cover a significant number of air combat historical periods - WW2, The Post WW2 Regional Conflicts, The Cold War and Current Middle East Conflicts.  This would cover a rich combat environment over land as well as from the Mediterranean Sea.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bananabrai said:

I corrected that for you 😂
Just kidding, those are mine

Ideally we'd have both the northern and central German areas, I only picked the north because I think it's maybe makes for wider missions (especially if it's extended to the border with Denmark).

I wouldn't say no to the Balkans either, and tbf a Baltic map would be gigantic if you wanted to include bases for the significant players in the region.

• Like 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Afghan. It'd hardly be a "desert map", in reality it's mostly mountains, and while it is pretty arid, it's got no shortage of green. 

Failing that, central Europe. Ideally, both WWII and the 80s versions, the latter complete with the Berlin Wall, Rammstein airbase and Fulda Gap. Depending on how big it can be, also a bit of Baltic, just to put a CBG on.

My 3rd choice would be Vietnam, while I love aircraft from that period, most of our assets are not quite correct for it, and there's a problem that if you wanted to encompass the whole AO, it's have to stretch from Thailand (Takhli) to Taiwan (CCK). The latter might be tough for political reasons (although the 70s version shouldn't be too problematic), but more importantly, it's a huge chunk of the globe including a large part of rather touchy China. Although, if you give up CCK (it was mostly tankers and Hercs flying from there), you should be able to fit it Vietnam, Thailand and Laos within a 1500x1500km square.

Iraq, covering part of the Persian Gulf and the areas of Syria not covered by ED's map.

Desert Storm and 2003 through all OIF's is the most obvious map for DCS, other than size I don't know why some combo of PG and Syria is not a map roughly centered on Baghdad.

Does a map have to be square?

Screen Shot 2021-11-19 at 6.34.56 PM.png

• Like 2

i7-4770K @3.50GHz; EVGA 1070 8GB Superclocked; 16GB Ram; MSI Z97 Gaming; two Samsung 500GB SSD's in RAID; TrackIR; 32" 2560x1440 Samsung

I'm not sure about the true edges of the map, they might actually need to be rectangular... but the "real useable map", the area that people actually use, can be any shape really. It's more about the amount of detail and how much that will impact framerates or not.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rick50 said:

I'm not sure about the true edges of the map, they might actually need to be rectangular... but the "real useable map", the area that people actually use, can be any shape really. It's more about the amount of detail and how much that will impact framerates or not.

Yeah that's what I was thinking as well, RE an odd shaped detailed area within the greater rectangle, it still would be a large area and that may be why Iraq hasn't been made yet. If the processor crunch ever goes away and GPUs come back down there's no reason that something even more taxing that 2.7 maxed out will become a basic ability for the average gaming PC in a couple years.

7 hours ago, Angelthunder said:

If were getting the entire modern globe in the future..

Has this been mentioned by ED before?

i7-4770K @3.50GHz; EVGA 1070 8GB Superclocked; 16GB Ram; MSI Z97 Gaming; two Samsung 500GB SSD's in RAID; TrackIR; 32" 2560x1440 Samsung

2 hours ago, Ghostrider142 said:

Yeah that's what I was thinking as well, RE an odd shaped detailed area within the greater rectangle, it still would be a large area and that may be why Iraq hasn't been made yet. If the processor crunch ever goes away and GPUs come back down there's no reason that something even more taxing that 2.7 maxed out will become a basic ability for the average gaming PC in a couple years.

Apparently,Wags said something like that in PC Pilot Magazine by Key Publishing.

3 hours ago, Ghostrider142 said:

I put a link to a thread that dives into this new news... it's on this very page! 

Go to the link and then look up a post by  Northstar98 Posted November 7 in that thread

On 11/19/2021 at 8:36 PM, Ghostrider142 said:

Iraq, covering part of the Persian Gulf and the areas of Syria not covered by ED's map.

Desert Storm and 2003 through all OIF's is the most obvious map for DCS, other than size I don't know why some combo of PG and Syria is not a map roughly centered on Baghdad.

Does a map have to be square?

Iraq should definitely come to DCS someday, but the outline in your image wouldn't make a lot of sense for map boundaries. Coalition jets need somewhere to takeoff from, preferably with a few options that aren't more or less on top of the Iraqi border. Given the size of the PG map this might be possible, just need to expand further into Saudi Arabia and include more of the Gulf itself.

• Like 2

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

On 10/5/2021 at 5:46 PM, Rick50 said:

Agreed, Norway would be awesome... 

Reminds me of a sim from the mid-90's that featured the Eurofighter defending Norway from a resurgent Russian invasion...  The map was very very basic compared to today, but it stretched from Norway to St Petersburg, from Oslo to... uh, well somewhere quite north, might have been arctic ocean even! Was a HUGE map... 

I'd LOVE to see a high detail version of that map, one that featured both summer and winter textures, and a dynamic campaign like the old sim did with a tacops addon... it had a lot of immersion, or at least that's what I felt when flying it!  I remember being overjoyed to see AI Grippens, Tornados, I think there was even an Antonov 124 giant transport helping the invasion of Bodo... well I think there was, memory that far back is very hazy. But doing those multi-role airstrikes with a 4 ship, following mountain valleys, lobbing ALARM over the mountains to plunge down upon SAM's once we let ourselves be lit up... amazing!

I always hoped there would be a sequel or "sequel in spirit and content", but nothing so far measures up... but DCS could do this, once our hardware can handle such a large map, we get a Eurofighter from HB and TG, and some campain system of the dynamic variety... 😄

Yep… Norway - Russia

DID’s EF2000 Scandinavia map might have been grey and murky, but it was a fantastic Cold War setting👍

Below radar fjord runs for deep strike, CAP, CAS, SEAD, AWACS strikes etc… Also great for carrier, Naval / ASW and amphibious warfare.

Provided the map comes far enough south (Shetland, say) the Mossie shipping strikes and other WW2 scenarios come into play😎

A Scandi map to modern standards would be brilliant.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ghostrider142 said:

If the processor crunch ever goes away and GPUs come back down there's no reason that something even more taxing that 2.7 maxed out will become a basic ability for the average gaming PC in a couple years.

Map size and object count is limited by RAM demands. Object density/quality and more granular terrain mesh make it more CPU and GPU demanding - like in case of Marianas. More and better textures devour more VRAM. That's simplified TLDR version of HW map requirements.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria