We Want To Hear Your Ideas For A New Map In DCS!

On 5/18/2022 at 7:50 AM, Toni Carrera said:

Hi All,

For me it would have to be Afghanistan

Reason for this is that obviously since the 80's, the Russians have been in there, allied forces have been in there etc. Things like Korea, Vietnam etc, are period pieces, which would then negate the use of a lot of the aircraft that are available to us. I mean yes when the F-4 comes out, then yes, there would be mileage in that, you've got the Huey, early Migs, A-6 Intruder (hopefully) etc, but from the greatest period of historic timescales / range, I see Afghanistan as the longest period of time, for the most amount of available aircraft

Just my opinion, not looking to start my own war here

Toni

Korea would NOT be a period piece.  We could use relatively modern jets if and possibly when the Korean War goes hot again.  I would love that.

• Like 3

Well if its densely populated it will be a small area. you can go big in a low density area, just look at South Atlantic scope...

That Said:

- I would love Korea, but I doubt DCS can encompass a big enough chunk.

- Meaningful Middle east like Sinai and Suez Channel areas,

- Africa could do, but again its HUGE the areas are vast and most wars were inland, not the coast so no carrier action...

- 1999 Yugoslavia, I mean Operation Allied Force is huge regarding jets, historical battles, posible new what iff scenarios etc... but very dense and populated not sure if DCS engine can handle it well.

- Murmansk might be quite consequential now a days LOL...

A couple more map ideas. Taiwan has been proposed before, but I think it really needs to include some US Japanese bases:

nullimage.jpeg

I've also really come to like the idea of a Scandinavian map recently. Ideally it would include all of Norway, Sweden, and Finland, along with a good chunk of Russia. Given the challenge of a map that size though, this might be better (with airbases highlighted, abandoned soviet bases in gray, hopefully they'd be operational on the map):

image.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

@Exocet I read your suggestions about two different maps for DCS.  The first map that shows the Strait of Taiwan and parts of mainland China, along with expansion for the Philippines.  Based on my experiences with ED, they are not receptive to any maps that show the Strait of Taiwan.  Many people, including myself, have suggested maps showing Strait of Taiwan.  ED's response is, "Nope.  Too political."  You can read the various comments going back to at least 2019.

As for the Scandinavian map, it is a possibility.  With the amount of terrain, creating such a map would likely take a few years to complete.  For comparison, the South Atlantic map has been a work-in-progress for approximately two years.

MFT

11 minutes ago, dawgie79 said:

Actually, come to think of it, I don't need another map. I would like ED to bring Caucasus, NTTR and Persian Gulf up to today's standards like Marianas. That would make me a happy flyer. 🙂

The problem is that any updates to the maps would break the many campaigns that we have on those three.

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

2 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

The problem is that any updates to the maps would break the many campaigns that we have on those three.

If the textures get updated, how so? Objects, locations, etc, won't change with that. Or am I missing something?

18 minutes ago, dawgie79 said:

If the textures get updated, how so? Objects, locations, etc, won't change with that. Or am I missing something?

If you want textures alone, you can already download terrain mods for these. But it doesn't make the maps so great. They'll need to packed with more, better objects, trees, more detailed terrain mesh and updated lighting... and that can and will break older missions.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

Well since we can not have EARTH then lets have MARS GLOBAL...........

sfqZTd5.jpg

In another thread there is discussion of a ED-DEVS doing a whole EARTH MAP unsure when.

But its the community wanting accurate data on military locations instead of fictional areas with some added benefits of true landmarks like e.g. FIGHTER TOWN that make the the whole project non existent.

Community needs to know the meaning of  - "Non - Disclosure - Classified".... and "SHUT UP", so we one day can have a WORLD MAP........ instead of posting reasons for maps based  political debate stupid in my opinion, just stupid.

That's the problem! 

Edited by WRAITH
  • Like 4

DCS FORUM SIG.jpg

The ideas are already on the table.

I suggest you model what you are passionate about. its a lot of frustrating long hours to get a map done, years of hard work, and if you don´t love what you are doing you will not be able to create a grate map.

That Said I love the idea of Panama, its a small manageable size and a very strategic point of the world. And if you add some part of Colombia you can also have nice war on drugs/anti-insurgency campaigns with all the lovely COIN and light Attack aircraft that we have and are coming out soon.

Edited by Baco

On 6/8/2022 at 8:49 AM, WRAITH said:

sfqZTd5.jpg

Well, I guess you get one point for partial originality!

I say partial, because Xplane has Mars to fly around!!

Not sure how you'll gain altitude with such small stubby wings of DCS modules though... remember, Mars only has 3% the atmosphere of Earth... 

On 6/8/2022 at 8:49 AM, WRAITH said:

In another thread there is discussion of a ED-DEVS doing a whole EARTH MAP unsure when.

True, but I think even ED is very much unsure when too! 

On 6/8/2022 at 9:49 AM, WRAITH said:

sfqZTd5.jpg

Mars global would be awesome provided that the gravity and air density are right. I would love to see how things fare in low gravity. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ravenus said:

My vote would be

Korea

Vietnam

Also on my list of maps. I also want the Baltic, central Europe, Italy and the Balkans, Solomons, Alaska and the Russian far East, an expanded caucuses map, and something set around Kursk.  I really want historical and when possible a what if using a modern version of a historical map. I would rather not have another Desert map for a bit. 

• Like 1