We Want To Hear Your Ideas For A New Map In DCS!

On 8/3/2021 at 10:04 PM, Xilon_x said:

then we have high mountains Caucasus, desert we have Syria, and gulf, tropical we have Marrianna, now there are no completely icy areas north pole or south pole and there are no steppes and tundras.

along these lines, i actually thought up where Alaska (USA, obv) is only 100km from Russia, in the Bering sea, would make for the ultimate blue vs red, both with home soil adv !!

If your map will be similar to existing ones it will have to compete with them for attention and this will decrease popularity of your new map and sales - find a niche to make your map the only choice.

There are  2 WWII maps (Normandy and Channel)

for  9  WWII modules existing and developed (Spitfire IX, P-47, P-51, Bf-109K, FW-190A, FW-190D, I-16) + (Mosquito, F4U-1)

There are 5 modern maps (Hormuz Strait, Syria, Nevada, Caucasus, Marianas)

for  10  2005-2010 modules (F/A-18C, F-16C, A-10C, Ka-50, JF-17, AV-8B ) + (Kiowa, AH-64, EF, Strike Eagle)

There are  0 (zero) Cold War maps

for  28  Cold War [from Korea to Desert Storm] modules (MiG-15bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, MiG-21bis, F-5E, L-39, C-101, F-14A, Mi-24, Gazelle, Mi-8, Huey) + (Mirage F.1, Fiat G.91, MiG-23MLA, MiG-17, A-6 Intruder, A-7 Corsair, Bolkov 105, Sea Harrier, MiG-29A, Su-17, F-8 Crusader) + low fidelity A-10A, Su-25A, Su-27S, F-15C, MiG-29A

Conclusions is obvious: about 2/3 of all DCS modules - released and during development - represent Cold War era and they have at this point 0 (zero) proper maps, this period is massively underrepresented when it comes to maps. 

If you make any of Korea, Vietnam, Fulda Gap, North Europe divided Germany etc. proper Cold War map - your map will be an obvious and practically the only possible choice for the most of DCS existing and developed modules.

Edited by bies
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 3

Spratly Islands. If someone does not know what it is, please search, especially about modern history. This is a rather interesting and dangerous place. An excellent arena for modern naval battles. At the same time, I believe that the map should be lighter than the Mariana Islands. (Except, of course, the Philippines and the like.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vvm13 said:

Spratly Islands. If someone does not know what it is, please search, especially about modern history. This is a rather interesting and dangerous place. An excellent arena for modern naval battles. At the same time, I believe that the map should be lighter than the Mariana Islands. (Except, of course, the Philippines and the like.)

As much as I like the idea, it is already too similar to Marianas to offer us anything worth while. 

• Like 1

Am 2.8.2021 um 17:31 schrieb Lace:

Not much broader appeal with that one, but it could be the start of an interesting concept - the Mini Map.  Mini Maps could be much smaller (obviously) maps of specific areas, designed primarily for helicopter and CA operations.  How about Mogadishu, Konna (Mali), Bo Town (Sierra Leone), Grenada?

That is actually a pretty cool idea... Though considering the effort is mostly in the detailed area like towns, airports and creating the basic texture blends and stuff, the "size" may not most time consuming factor, once the assets, vegetation and terrain textures are done.

So the savings on a small map may not be that much compared to a larger map. The performance and optimization step though, could benefit from smaller maps. 🤔

• Like 2

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Am 9.8.2021 um 12:06 schrieb Bremspropeller:

I think three desert-maps is plenty for the moment, so there's no requirement for more at this time.

Well, actually we have two desert maps. Nevada and Iran. Syria is quite diverse and interesting. The thing is even an "Iraq, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia" Desert Map would be a great asset to SIMulate real world conflicts, instead of fiction. Currently Syria is the most interesting map to recreate real world scenarios. With the eastern Aircraft and Mi-24 and Mi-28 the late Syrian civil war/insurgency and of course Lebanon/Israel/Syria.

• Like 3

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

On 8/9/2021 at 5:06 AM, Bremspropeller said:

I think three desert-maps is plenty for the moment, so there's no requirement for more at this time.

For Air to Air.

Afghanistan would be a playground for Air vs Ground. And a more realistic setting for helis.

Vietnam, Balkans, Korea, Europe. Green landscapes and snowy areas. We already have a lot of desert.

• Like 1

Owned sorted by use: F-5E | JF-17 | F/A-18C | FC3 | A-10C II | L-39 | M-2000C | New adquisition: F-16C  🔸Mods: A-4E-C

In the spotlight: Mirage F1 | Syria        🔸Terrains: Nevada | Persian Gulf

En 27/7/2021 a las 5:55, Tank50us dijo:

Here's my idea:

Make a fictional map that can handle a wide variety of real-world scenarios, as well as fictional ones. Such a map could easily be done, and could be representative of a multiple locations, all without having to worry about the political landscape as it is now. Just my two cents.

Good and original idea. Interesting. Being a fictional map, a multitude of real or fictional scenarios could be reproduced without worrying about real names.

Owned sorted by use: F-5E | JF-17 | F/A-18C | FC3 | A-10C II | L-39 | M-2000C | New adquisition: F-16C  🔸Mods: A-4E-C

In the spotlight: Mirage F1 | Syria        🔸Terrains: Nevada | Persian Gulf

10 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

We've see enough sand.

It's about combat theatres not sightseeing. Huge part of Earth's land is deserted and a lot of real combat operations happen there.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Hi,

1st choice would be Korea. So we can use our F-86 and  MiG-19... even later MiG-21, F-14. Nice campaigns to be done there.

then Vietnam (including Laos, part of Thailand)  for our Huey, A-4.

Or better... Both!

And of course Baltic Dragon Campaigns!

Cheers

• Like 3

my vote would go for Korea or Vietnam. I lean more towards Korea for the obvious reason that the Korean war could be played and a more modern hypothetical scenario. Vietnam is a bit of a one trick pony if you know what I mean.

• Like 2

Southern Baltic including Gotland.

Gotland is by far one of the most strategically important islands in the entire world due to it's position in the middle of the Southern Baltic Sea.

For NATO, Gotland is important because control of the island would secure supply routes to the Baltics and cut off Kaliningrad from Russian supplies.

For Russia, Gotland is important because control of the island would secure supply routes to Kaliningrad and cut off the Baltics from NATO supplies.

• Like 3

"I will now rip open heaven and earth, out."