We Want To Hear Your Ideas For A New Map In DCS!

On 7/26/2021 at 12:17 PM, danielzambaux said:

Hi All!

My name is Dan and as part of a 3rd Party Map project for DCS, we want to hear your (the community's) opinion on a new map!

So, before I confuse some of you, let me explain who "we" are.

Astronomix  is a team of 3 'developers' looking to create an official 3rd party map for DCS, but we cant do it without some input from the community!

We want to know what maps you all would want in DCS, to help us better judge what we want to develop in the future!

Our team is still very much in its infancy - but as time goes on, we will set our sights on making an official 3rd party map for DCS, but that cannot be done without your input and opinions!

So, please leave any votes/ opinions in the comments below, and we will look at these as potential ideas for a future map!

For any questions, or to contact us directly, our discord can be found here = https://discord.gg/4KnnJCZjkP

Thanks all,

- Dan

Please! either a map of the Sinai and Cairo or a Map of Pakistan/Kashmir, first one is a desert but it's a really interesting map, think of all of the wars that've been fought there! or flying over the pyramids or the densely populated Cairo, second it's a really diverse map with mountain tops, deserts and jungle that also has a diverse history of conflict

• Like 1

Am 10.8.2021 um 23:30 schrieb Bremspropeller:

Plenty of desert in the Syria map.

We've see enough sand. Time to move on.

Let me guess, you fly A/A in PvP, mostly? 😇

• Like 1

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Bremspropeller:

Exactly. Lots of non-sand combat theatres in the world. We need more of that.

Can you name any recent ( last  20 years) combat theater, that is non-sand (if you consider Syria as a desert map)? The only one I can think of is the Balkans and Crimea/Ukraine... at least if we want a halfway realistic use of what modules we have in DCS.

• Like 2

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

2 hours ago, shagrat said:

Let me guess, you fly A/A in PvP, mostly?

No.

1 hour ago, shagrat said:

Can you name any recent ( last  20 years) combat theater, that is non-sand (if you consider Syria as a desert map)? The only one I can think of is the Balkans and Crimea/Ukraine... at least if we want a halfway realistic use of what modules we have in DCS.

Why is "recent 20 years" a neccessary constraint?

Nam or bust!

• Like 4

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!

My vote would be the Baltic because it would fit a lot of aircraft that don't really have a "home" in the current map set like the Viggen. Even the late war German aircraft that look kind of ridiculous in Normandy and the Channel would fit in with a Courland Pocket setting. It'd also just be an interesting setting with deep forests and some really interesting Swedish airbases.

I'd also go for a jungle map to fit Vietnam/Modern war with China/potentially CBI theatre for warbirds, but PLEASE not another desert/middle eastern map. Three is ENOUGH.

• Like 5

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Bremspropeller:

No.

Why is "recent 20 years" a neccessary constraint?

Nam or bust!

Ah, ok. So the simple answer is, "You personally would prefer a Vietnam map, over more modern Afghanistan or Iraq/Kuwait theaters".

That's ok. And likely reflected in the poll.

• Like 1

Shagrat

2 hours ago, shagrat said:

"You personally would prefer a Vietnam map, over more modern Afghanistan or Iraq/Kuwait theaters".

Yes. Or any other non-sand theater (excluding Europe). I'd like a sub-saharan Africa map for depicting some kind of post-colonial war. I think the prospects of that are rather slim, though, as most people aren't really interested in that. It would be "something different" though.

Hence Nam is pretty high on my list. Together with more era-fitting aircraft.

I'm no against an Afghanistan map per sé. I think it does have it's merits.

But I strongly believe we have played in the sandbox for long enough now, and the next DLC map should take us elsewhere, before possibly re-committing to the sand-and-rock deserts.

• Like 1

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!

Sorry - One more - from what I have heard… Falklands.

First attachment is Falklands in the same window-size as Caucuses.

Second attachment is scaled to what I have heard, that it will include a piece of South America/Argentina.

Area of second is 2x2 times (4 times more) that of the first.

I am not a professional cartographer, so I cannot account for Mercator projections, etc…

D5496033-1594-4D57-AF86-7A212EB832DF.jpeg

5E6DDD7F-58C6-4C89-9505-FB772F8F7E36.jpeg

Edited by Ben27603
  • Like 2

Am 12.8.2021 um 11:09 schrieb Bremspropeller:

Yes. Or any other non-sand theater (excluding Europe). I'd like a sub-saharan Africa map for depicting some kind of post-colonial war. I think the prospects of that are rather slim, though, as most people aren't really interested in that. It would be "something different" though.

Hence Nam is pretty high on my list. Together with more era-fitting aircraft.

I'm no against an Afghanistan map per sé. I think it does have it's merits.

But I strongly believe we have played in the sandbox for long enough now, and the next DLC map should take us elsewhere, before possibly re-committing to the sand-and-rock deserts.

Afghanistan is actually very diverse from the Helmand river area, the Hindukusch Mountains, lush valleys of Paktika, Paktia, Khowst, Konar,Lowgar, Nurestan and Nangarhar provinces, to the northern provinces that vary from harsh steppe to mountainous terrain and agricultural areas.

While a Vietnam map, may be "interesting" with the UH-1H in mind, and maybe the F-5E, there isn't much to do with 90% of the current modules,apart from heavy fictional scenarios... I prefer a more Simulation scenarios of actual conflicts.

As DCS modules usually don't focus much on "what map is available", but more on "what details, blueprints and SME knowledge is available" and declassified, for me it is more sensible to focus on what aircraft we have, than what we would like to have. Thua my preference on any real life scenario, I can get.

Basically I think, we got the "wrong" desert maps... 😇

• Like 2

Shagrat

@Ben27603 @doublebarrel We already have a Falklands map underdevelopment by Razbam, no news on it's release but we are constantly getting small updates regarding the AI units that will be shipped with it. It's name so far is South Atlantic, below is an in development screenshot from quite a while back, on release it'll be the largest map we have. I can't remember when it was released but it was maybe half a year ago?
153577245_3726931144060163_6636752236050859213_o.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

AUSTRALIA 

• Like 2

BiBa...............BigBang

WIN 11-64 Pro. MoBo: ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING. SSD: LEXAR 790 4TB. CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K. GPU: MANLI RTX 2080 Ti. RAM: HyperX 3200 MHz 64 GB. Monitor: ASUS 4K 28"/VR: Pimax 4K/TrackIR-5/SAITEK X55-Yoke-Rudder-Trim Wheel.

• 2 weeks later...

The Adriatic Sea (Itally/Bosnia area), or anywhere else in the Mediterranean for that matter. Especially the area around Sicily, Tunisia/Libya, or Gibraltar/Morocco. It would allow for a wide variety of conflicts that span from WWII to more modern conflicts.

adriatic sea.jpg

or this area.jpg

• Like 4

On 8/11/2021 at 10:05 PM, Kerbo 416 said:

Please! either a map of the Sinai and Cairo or a Map of Pakistan/Kashmir, first one is a desert but it's a really interesting map, think of all of the wars that've been fought there! or flying over the pyramids or the densely populated Cairo, second it's a really diverse map with mountain tops, deserts and jungle that also has a diverse history of conflict

Sinai and Cairo would do it for me

Without any question, the most requested and awaited terrain map in recent years has got to be Vietnam (war period 1955 – 1975).

Think of it like the importance of Normandy, The Channel and Marianas maps for WW2 modules of DCS. If you have such a module, you'll get such a map.

We have cold-war era aircraft, current and upcoming modules, which don't have any 50's, 60's or 70's map to make better sense:

Exhistent modules:

• UH-1H Huey
  • F-86 Sabre
  • A-4E Skyhawk (community project)
  • F5-E Tiger II
  • F-14A Tomcat
  • MiG-15 Fagot
  • MiG-19 Farmer
  • MiG-21 Fishbed

Upcoming (confirmed) modules:

• F-8 Crusader
  • A-6 Intruder
  • A-7 Corsair II
  • MiG-17 Fresco

Any Cold-War era conflict map would be great, but Vietnam in particular represents unique scenarios and really huge potential, for which those modules would (finally?) be made trully interesting to use in DCS, and probably explode in popularity.

Considering the interest around the conflict and time-period, I think having such map (specifically, a period correct Vietnam) would imediately encourage production of assets, then missions and campaigns, like no other map has yet incite in DCS.

I suspect we'd see more modules being announced after it (AH-1 Cobra, F-4 Phantom II, A-1 Skyraider, F-105 Thunderchief, F-104 Starfighter, F-100 Super Sabre, F-101 Voodoo, A-37 Dragonfly, HH-3E Jolly Green Giant, etc, etc)...

Really, if you think of it, the whole thing is a potential gold mine just waiting to be explored. Make it happen, the rest will come. 

Edited by LucShep
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | M-Audio USB + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

image.png

This would get you 6 active Indonesian military airbases + all the civilian airports, & 9 bases that are either US bases run in Australia, joint US + Aus bases or Aus bases (4 military airbases and plenty of civilian airports).

More than half water, Lot of desert or uninhabited space in Australia / jungle in Papua.

Closest bases only separated by the Timor Sea.

Indonesia currently or has in the past used a good selection of the fixed and rotary wing aircraft in DCS, as well at other military Eqp from both the West and East (Currently  flying the Su-27, Su-30 & the F-16, AH-64, Mi-24, Bo 105 & Mi-8 [export version], sabre, etc.).

Everyone else could conceivably be visiting 🙂

Close enough to the China Sea to conceivably have some of those currently bumping heads in the region drift over or to imagine a circumstance where there may be an occupation in place or underway.

Australia is a significant enough strategic ally of the US to expect the US & all other allies to move in, and the Australians to invite them.

400px-TNI-AUbases.pngimage.png

• Like 2

Cheers.