Migrate DCSW2.5 to New SSD and New OS Win10 (from 7) on Same PC - Problems !

On the Same Computer - I installed a New (Boot) SSD and loaded Windows 10.   Copied DCSW Build 2.56.61527 (from a Win7 Boot  Drive) and associated Saved Games\DCS (with all Config Files) to New Win10 SSD.   Goal is to Upgrade to DCSW 2.7+.

FIRST Problem:

Got the following Dialog Box:

DCS Login failed - Cannot exit offline mode due to hardware ID change.   Ask for support.

Despite Researching the Forums for how to migrate DCS World to a New SSD - I failed to come across these instructions:

From:  OFFLINE mode / "Cannot exit offline mode due to hardware ID change"
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/authorization/

Note: user must turn off OFFLINE mode on the same PC*. OFFLINE mode cannot be turned off from another PC even with the same user's login.
* on the same PC - it means exactly the same for both hardware and software. For example, changing BIOS or reinstalling Windows in offline mode will not allow you to log in.

Lucky - had previous SSD with Win7 DCSW Installation - Booted with that and went back to Online Mode.   Authentication/Activation Worked Perfectly (all Modules Available), EXCEPT .........

SECOND Problem:

..............  on the New SSD (w Win10) - DCS World Not Seeing (Not Using) Saved Games Config Files (copied from Win 7 SSD) ?  All Flight Control (HOTAS Warthog and Keyboard Setting Inop).  ???????

Only thing I can Think of is that I used a Different User Name (User Account) when installing Windows 10 on the new SSD.    Maybe the Old (copied) DCSW Build 2.5+ is mapped to look for a Different User Name  ????

Any Suggestions ?     Looking at Mega Hours to Hand-Jam all Config Settings back into my 15 Aircraft Modules.

TANKS in Advance !

17 minutes ago, Igor4U said:

SECOND Problem:

..............  on the New SSD (w Win10) - DCS World Not Seeing (Not Using) Saved Games Config Files (copied from Win 7 SSD) ?  All Flight Control (HOTAS Warthog and Keyboard Setting Inop).  ???????

You don't say exactly how you copied from your old /Saved Games/ folder ... /Saved Games/ is a special Windows folder and so it should not be copied or pasted like regular folders.

Hopefully, instead you copied the /DCS World/ folder that is WITHIN the old /Saved Games/ onto the new /Saved Games/ of your current Windows. If this is the case, then DCS should be using the /Saved Games/ config and the problem is limited to the HOTAS bindings. Please upload your dcs.log file to confirm this.

To distinguish among all the multiple HOTAS devices that you may have on your PC (say, a Throttle unit, a Joystick, a Rudder Pedals, etc), DCS adds a suffix to their bindings files, let me show you an example ... these are the bindings for my A-10C, how they look from a file system view:

ZIOqQgA.jpg

The strange hexadecimal string in parentheses, is the USB ID of the HOTAS device assigned by Windows. If you reinstall Windows, then the USB IDs change. On the image you can see that I re-installed my windows on 2018, 2019 (twice) and the last time was on 2020. 

What you have to do is run your DCS and try to bind one button to your HOTAS, then exit DCS, go onto /Saved Games/DCS/Config/Input/ your aircraft /joystick/ and check with the dates which file has today's date ... copy the whole filename onto Notepad, to keep it saved. Now, delete the lua file .. we just needed to know its name.

Next, clic on the next oldest file .. that should be your last binding file from your old DCS setup. Clic on its name and paste the name that you saved. In fact, you are updating the name (just the name, not its content) so that it has the name that currently DCS can use.

Now, run DCS and go check the control bindings for that plane .. it should have all your prior assignments.

If all is well, exit DCS and copy the filename that you saved earlier, and paste on the latest binding file for each aircraft that you have on /Saved games/DCS/Config/Input.

Best regards,

Eduardo

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

First problem.
Seems you put your DCS installation into offline mode before you installed new SSD and Win10. That creates problems.
If possible, boot up into the old Win7 and exit offline mode. Then just shutdown and boot into Win10 and log into DCS normally.
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

About the second issue, Rudel explained what the problem with USB IDs is, but I'd rather recommend using "Load profile" option in controls menu to load your backup .lua files, plane by plane, column by column, file by file. Been there, done that. Should still be faster than temporary creating new files, copying names, renaming old ones etc.

20-few minutes of double clicking and you should have controls for all modules restored.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

5 minutes ago, Art-J said:

... but I'd rather recommend using "Load profile" option in controls menu to load your backup .lua files, plane by plane, column by column, file by file.

Yes, that works too 👍 ... I'm old school, raised with CP/M and DOS, so I feel comfortable with file renaming, but your way is probably simpler 🙂

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

'Rudel_chw' & 'Art-J',

Thank you Gentlemen !     Each of your Techniques work like a Charm.      Instead of 20 Man-Hours of tedious reassigning of Settings for each Module - I should be down in less than an Hour.

Tanks Again !

PS:   Part of the Problem here was too much Trial & Error - Not enough standardized step-by-step Procedure.   The Information on how to move DCSW (to another Location, a New OS & SSD, or an entirely New Machine) is out there - but Fragmented rather than consolidated nicely in a Single Source Document.   Would hope Eagle Dynamics would take this on and publish a definitive Manual on how to move DCSW.  We are their Cash Cows - a Little better Help would be appreciated !

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Igor4U said:

...  The Information on how to move DCSW (to another Location, a New OS & SSD, or an entirely New Machine) is out there - but Fragmented rather than consolidated nicely in a Single Source Document.   Would hope Eagle Dynamics would take this on and publish a definitive Manual on how to move DCSW.  

Yes, it would be nice to have such a Manual, but for sure I wouldn't envy the person tasked with that mission ... there are so many different user cases that it would be daunting to write a document that covered every variant .. and in the end, most likely the typical user wouldn't read it anyway 😪

• Like 1

What I have done recently was rather simple and quick as well: 

1. Installed the brand new & empty large SSD drive while keeping the current small SSD drive as-is
  2. Booted from a Linux live USB stick
  3. Using the "dd" command with the necessary options, I cloned the current SSD drive onto the larger SSD drive
  4. Powered the PC off and removed the old SSD drive
  5. Booted back into the same Linux live USB stick, using "gparted" to resize the cloned content to take advantage of the new SSD's larger size
  6. Rebooted into Windows now running on the new SSD drive with plenty of space to spare
  7. Done

It's always a lot more fun (and less stressful) when you don't have to reinstall anything and everything just continues to work as before. 

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

10 minutes ago, rrohde said:
  1. Booted from a Linux live USB stick
  2. Using the "dd" command with the necessary options, I cloned the current SSD drive onto the larger SSD drive
  3. Powered the PC off and removed the old SSD drive
  4. Booted back into the same Linux live USB stick, using "gparted" to resize the cloned content to take advantage of the new SSD's larger size

Wonder how many typical DCS users would be able to perform those "simple steps" 🙂 ... not every user is fluent with Linux.

With 14 Modules (one is FC = 6 Aircraft), that's a Lot of Aircraft to RE-Configure - Even with the Tips from the Pros Above. 

Still- There has got to be an Easier Way !

I understand Digital Rights Management (DRM) and Eagle Dynamics' Right to Protect Content Creation and Profit from it - There has got to be an Easier Way to Move 'DCS World' where-ever one is Legally entitled to.

IF I were King for a Day:

- DCS World would be entirely Self-Contained, and would not have to share Configuration Settings with Windows (Users\Saved Games).

- Save each Module's Custom (Config) Settings in its own Mod Folder

- Simply Move DCS World (New Drive, OS, PC, etc..)  - And all your Settings stay Put (as is) and Move with You ! 

- 'No Fuss - No Muss;   -   Just Ready for "Fights On" !

8 minutes ago, Igor4U said:

Still- There has got to be an Easier Way !

Guess I'm used to DCS and its quirks, so, I actually love that it is possible to add custom objects to the Sim without ever touching its official files .. makes it quite safe to customize. ED allows you to move the game files wherever you want without worrying about copy protection, it also allows you to change the game language easily, you can customize the name of your settings folder, it cames with a very effective repair tool that does away with the need to re-install the game to solve problems, like happen with so many other Sims.

• Like 1

honestly having good internet the process to get the base files and modules and terrains was painless. then i only sorted each module as i wanted to use them. i have 12 planes and FC3 and all the terrains. at worst all you need to do is either rename the GUIDs of the controller files OR load them in the controller options. maybe a 5 minute process. 

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain