GBU-54 LJDAM vs. GBU-12

Go to solution Solved by Snoopy,

For conventional LGBs, the laser code is set mechanically on the ground directly at the guidance kit. The setting of the code in the A-10C SMS is only meant to be "informational" for the system - it would in reality not change the code of the bomb itself. But for practical reasons, in DCS it actually does change the code the bomb will look for.

But how about the GBU-54 LJDAM? As it is also a JDAM and as such it already has a data connection to the aircraft to receive the target coordinates. But will that also allow it to change the laser code electronically "on the fly" (literally)? I.e. will changing the code in the SMS actually change the code of the bomb in RL? Or is that, too, just a "gamification" like it is done for the conventional LGBs?

• Like 4

Great question! I'm curious as well :smile:

• Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yeah, great question! 👍

Since the GBU-54 can only be mounted on the 1760 smart stations, the jet can certainly "talk" to the bomb, so it would be possible/plausible. I, too, have been wondering if the jet tells the bomb its code, or if it's still a bunch of flathead screws that need to be set on the ground.

• Like 2

There are 4 windows (?) on the bottom of the seeker on the model of the GBU-54, could that have something to do with it?

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

13 minutes ago, Flagrum said:

Hrmm ... what are those three pins at the top of the seeker, labeled 1 - 2 - 3? Some sort of rotary dials?

Good question.

In both pictures (more easily visible in the bottom picture), there appear to be "noses" on the rear end of the forward guidance kit assembly that are also labeled 1, 2 and 3. Maybe some kind of helper to align different parts of the guidance kit assembly?

Thanks, Snoopy!

32 minutes ago, Snoopy said:

Depending on aircraft software laser codes can be changed from what is set on the bomb physically to another code.  For example you can change the code via the UFC in an F-15E and the software talks to the bomb and updates accordingly.

Well, I guess that makes a lot of sense - so you can configure the weapon on ground and basically any aircraft capable of dropping MK-82s can employ it. And on the other hand, a more modern platform, can used it in a more flexible way.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Habu23 said:

The laser code can be set in DSMS in the air and that will be programmed into the DSU-33 laser section.

Habu

Oh sweet, thanks Force!

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

16 hours ago, silverdevil said:

i have always had to set the codes for both bombs via the UFC. of course it has to match the designator. like what @Habu23 said. chuck's guide will help.

The OP was talking about real life. IRL you can't change the codes for the GBU-12 and GBU-10 from the cockpit.

• Like 2

Tornado3 small.jpg