Heatblur Iowa-class Temperature Check

On 7/28/2021 at 2:17 PM, Silver_Dragon said:

To a "Ship modules" that require ED get the "Supercarrier API" to put cockpits and other funtionality. that can be a paid or free "module". The problem has big cannons require ED implement them into the core, as ability to build CICs and other ship systems.

the 16 inch guns are one of the main arguments to put it in DCS core. There are some community battleship mods which lack the appropriate guns. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, near_blind said:

Not to toot my own horn, but that'll get fixed sooner rather than later. At least for the Iowas. 

I hope you can fix the range, and while you are at it do you think you could add 4 CWIS and 

8 × quadruple BGM-109 Tomahawk launchers
4 × quadruple RGM-84 Harpoon launchers

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, upyr1 said:

I hope you can fix the range,

image.png
16''/50 goes brrrrrrr

58 minutes ago, upyr1 said:

while you are at it do you think you could add 4 CWIS and 

8 × quadruple BGM-109 Tomahawk launchers
4 × quadruple RGM-84 Harpoon launchers

Could I model those things? No. I couldn't model my way out of a burlap sack if I tried (and I've tried). Now. Could I theoretically remove all the definitions for the bofors and oerlikons, and then theoretically define four of them as the default game Mk15 Phalanx, and then theoretically take one 5'' turret on each side and define its barrels as the launch point for Harpoons and Tomahawks with a magazine matching the total number of tubes the ship had in real life?
Screen_210615_210100.png
If I did, I bet it would be awesome and heretical in equal measure 🤣.

In all honesty though, I've shot my proposed 16'' shell, some 5'' VT shells, and my hack job 80s refit to Hawkeye, and he's been very receptive. He's working out the next version of the mod and I'm trying to help as best I can. Hopefully it'll be out soon.

Edited by near_blind
  • Like 4

46 minutes ago, near_blind said:

image.png
16''/50 goes brrrrrrr

Could I model those things? No. I couldn't model my way out of a burlap sack if I tried (and I've tried). Now. Could I theoretically remove all the definitions for the bofors and oerlikons, and then theoretically define four of them as the default game Mk15 Phalanx, and then theoretically take one 5'' turret on each side and define its barrels as the launch point for Harpoons and Tomahawks with a magazine matching the total number of tubes the ship had in real life?
Screen_210615_210100.png
If I did, I bet it would be awesome and heretical in equal measure 🤣.

In all honesty though, I've shot my proposed 16'' shell, some 5'' VT shells, and my hack job 80s refit to Hawkeye, and he's been very receptive. He's working out the next version of the mod and I'm trying to help as best I can. Hopefully it'll be out soon.

I can't model either, so until someone can add the box launchers, I think that would work.

901485187cf54f13d5d027a4b152eaae.gif

Though if you are going to have people getting pitch forks, you might as well go for the proposed 1990s refit

d7bdgr6-c42515f0-a130-4b52-ac0e-6ff67123

Which would have  8 sea sparrows on each side and  and 96 Tomahawks in vertical launch tubes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, upyr1 said:

Which would have  8 sea sparrows on each side and  and 96 Tomahawks in vertical launch tubes

That's disgusting. I'll take four. 

(I personally draw the line at the BBPH proposals. Keep the Harriers off my gun platform)

• Like 5

On 8/21/2021 at 2:25 PM, upyr1 said:

I have suggested DCS :Feet Ops.  

Someday there will be a DCS module for every aviation fetish!

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/23/2021 at 2:51 PM, Silver_Dragon said:

Typical Battleship SAG (Surface Action Group) was:

- 1x Modernized Battleship BB.

- 1x Ticonderoga CG

- 1x Kidd DDG or Arleigh Burke DDG

- 1x Spruance DD

- 3x Oliver Hazard Perry FFG

- 1x Auxiliar ship

I put together a mission for templating with a few different naval battle groups 

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3318359/

• 3 weeks later...

I just saw a video for a game about Destoyrs that showed what I think a ship module should be like

it had stations for the bridge, radar, sonar, CIC, look out, gun directors it would be awesome to see some something like that with the Iowas. As ya'll know I would like to see a Navy module and  I would love to see something with the full life span of the Iowas

6 hours ago, upyr1 said:

I just saw a video for a game about Destoyrs that showed what I think a ship module should be like

it had stations for the bridge, radar, sonar, CIC, look out, gun directors it would be awesome to see some something like that with the Iowas. As ya'll know I would like to see a Navy module and  I would love to see something with the full life span of the Iowas

What was the game?

I would love to see the Iowa-class battleships as our first ship module.  

First there the history of the ships. Their service life covered WWII and the cold war, albeit with gaps. So doing the Iowas correctly would mean that we would need to model both WWII systems as well as more modern systems. I know other ships sims such as Destroyer: U-boat hunter give the player the option of different stations.

bridge, sonar, radar, gun control, look out, bridge and CIC. I don't know what stations would work for the Iowas 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tank50us said:

Well the firing computers for the Iowas worked throughout their service lives, so, those likely still work.

According to Ryan Scimsnski in the nj comment section they do.  I don't think the turrets have any hydrolic fluid so they can't turn. However I was thinking about what stations  a sailable bb module should have opposed to what works in the actual ships.

3 hours ago, upyr1 said:

According to Ryan Scimsnski in the nj comment section they do.  I don't think the turrets have any hydrolic fluid so they can't turn. However I was thinking about what stations  a sailable bb module should have opposed to what works in the actual ships.

Well, the Helm is a no-brainer, then there's the LSO position (on the 80s refits), and then I'd say the fore and aft gunnery positions for the 16s, so that's 4 right there. Maybe a CIC, and a starboard and port director position for the 5in guns.

2 hours ago, Tank50us said:

Well, the Helm is a no-brainer, then there's the LSO position (on the 80s refits), and then I'd say the fore and aft gunnery positions for the 16s, so that's 4 right there. Maybe a CIC, and a starboard and port director position for the 5in guns.

That would be a good list for the 1940s I would toss in the CEC where they launched missiles. The next question though is how much detail for each station? I figure for single player games the mod would need to be done from the captain's perspective. I'm not sure how much detail would be necessary. I think good op for ships would be the Yamato and Bismark classes for World War II and the Kirovs for the 1980s. I'm not sure how much info is available for them. Anyway, the main reason I would like to see something like Fleet ops which covers a lot of ships over individual modules is that IMHO it would suck to have an extremely well done Iowa module that impresses Ryan Szimanski but fight against the current AI Kirov. 

So maybe a pack of "FC3" fidelity ships that have a few wwii and a few cold war ships with the option of FF modules.  FC3 Iowa but FF Missouri for WWII and FF Wisconsin for Cold War. For those of us that do mostly flights against AI anyway it isn't really any different

• 1 month later...

Iowa, Yamato, etc are iconic though would also like to see second or third tier battleships and heavy cruisers. USS Washington vs IJN Kirishima. I'd love to be able to be able to use the USS Long Beach or Truxtun on a Sea Orbit style mission with Enterprise. Especially if they get the world map photogrammetry thing going. 

Edited by Uxi

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

• 2 months later...