F14 Vs MIG 31 --> Phoenix vs R33

Rikus

I fight with my squadron lot of engament F14 Vs MIG 31 --> Phoenix vs R33

The MIG launch at 70 miles even a bit more, the R33 Mach 4 and don´t loose energy

Our Phoniex reach mach 3.8 and loose to quick.

Check this, need a balance for sure.

Edited by Rikus

I'll toss one in as well. 

On a 68 mile shot, the Amos reached Mach 5, never exceeded 45,000 feet, and maintained speed such that it was at Mach 2.2 when it passed me at 40 miles. I'm no expert on the AA-9, but it maintaining such a speed with such a shallow loft and at relatively low altitude seems suspect. 

Tacview-20210730-020424-DCS.zip.acmi AMOS.trk

• 1 month later...
On 7/30/2021 at 2:41 AM, near_blind said:

I'll toss one in as well. 

On a 68 mile shot, the Amos reached Mach 5, never exceeded 45,000 feet, and maintained speed such that it was at Mach 2.2 when it passed me at 40 miles. I'm no expert on the AA-9, but it maintaining such a speed with such a shallow loft and at relatively low altitude seems suspect. 

Throw mine in as well, nearly identical to the above scenario.

Tonight on the 107th TTI Syria server, myself, with Human RIO (Teomo) were doing an attack profile on a MiG-31 set to Expert AI.  Timeline of Events:

-Get spike at 85nmi, no launch warning,
-We dive from 42k to 30k, then pull up to loft our 54
-Launch our 54 at 65nmi, 42k feet, Mach 1.15
-Crank right to gimbal, start diving to the deck while keeping MiG31 at gimbal

-Still no Launch Warning or Missile Inbound warning

-At our AIM54's TTI of ~21 seconds we go poof, our 54 goes dumb

Time of Engagement: ~2 minutes from R33 launch to impact at 80nmi, our AIM-54 only covered ~50nmi in that same time frame despite having much more favorable loft profile and a higher altitude launch (albeit, .6 mach slower because MiG-31 has big boy burners on the back and the F-14's stores drag at altitude is preventing much faster than Mach 1.2 even after a 12k foot shallow dive in AB).

Tacview file, truncated, is attached.  I'm [107th-R] Whiskey 936 in the F-14B.  MiG-31 is listed as "MiG-31 (A2A_Spawn_Init_ACAP#001-02)".

Few interesting takeaways... The R33 has a ridiculously flat and fast profile which defies missile physics.  At 65nmi, the AIM-54 capped out 60k feet and about Mach 4.54 after being manually lofted (it actually nosed DOWN to its loft profile after launch) at Mach 1.15.  After travelling ~50nmi, the Phoenix has effectively the same energy as the R33 (slightly more, by about .2 Mach) launched at 80nmi by a faster MiG-31 (Mach 1.82... jeesus that thing is fast to accelerate (1.5 to 1.8 in 1 minute).

I don't think this missile is intended to shoot this flat and retain energy this well.... even with a Mach 1.8 launch and mach 5.38 top speed, it just retains energy so well, hardly lofts at all (49k feet on a 80nmi shot?), and even with dealing with thicker air, hardly slows down at all... meanwhile, the AIM-54 is bleeding energy from launch until impact at rates that I cannot wait for the new API to finally get integrated onto the 54...

F14B_vs_MiG31_WTF.txt.acmi

My YT Channel (DCS World, War Thunder and World of Warships)

Too Many Modules to List

--Unapologetically In Love With the F-14-- Anytime Baby! --