IRL Typhoon question...

Hoirtel

Just wondering if anyone might know the answer to this.

I was at an airshow recently and saw a solo display from the RAF Typhoon. During a -3g turn there was visible fuel venting from the tail which the commentator pointed out, but didn't explain. I was wondering why this happens, is it automatic? Is it procedure? Seems unusual? This display was actually filmed and the venting can be seen at 5:35.

It's the same thing that happens if you red-out.

Negative G pushing the fuel out of the tank though the transfer lines to the top of the fin. The plane can vent, the pilot not.

So yes, in high negative G manouvers that is normal for the phoon.

Edited by OPEC
  • Like 1

The Tornado is being developed by as many people as the Tornado Development Team contains. It progresses rapidly with the speed of the Tornado development progress. It will be released at the Tornado release date. 

Support your local Getränkemarkt. :grin:

54 minutes ago, Hoirtel said:

Yeah I thought it might be automatic and to do with the negative g. Never heard of this on any other jets? Is it just because the typhoon has so much g onset?

F-5 for example does it too. If one flies it inverted (-1G) you can see the fuel leaving through the vent.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Hoirtel said:

Really? In DCS? I've never noticed...🤣

Not in DCS, that effect is not present.

In real life though it is. Most noticable example (Fuel vent at vertical stab, not the aerobatic smoke from next to the engines):

patrouillesuisse hashtag on Twitter

Edited by razo+r
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4