NTTR MAP WRONG WEIRD TEXTURE COLOR TINT

The map textures are out of anything I see from quality photos (taken from ground/form air). Compare the picture yourselves:

Its not a big deal, not a bug, but because of that I feel like something not correct every time I fly a mission on this map. I my say, that I love this map, some more detailed elevation resolution would be very nice, but as long as you not flying low, it doesn't really matter.

It seems to me, that someone who took care of NTTR textures has color shifted display tuned for COLD setting.

Picture form DCS and Google picture from exact same spot (similar day time):

COMPARE_NEVADA.png

Edited DCS screenshot compare:

COMPARE_NEVADA_EDITED.png

This is another compare of 60% screenshot with the original one, and small terrain photo in middle.

COMPARE_NEVADA_EDITED_UP.png

Edited by GumidekCZ
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Bob1943 said:

Here is another one from the same time frame, heading towards one of the gunnery ranges.  A little blurry, but the color tones seem pretty accurate.

F4s In-Flight, Nellis AFB, 1968.jpg

Early ‘E’s! Beautiful shots Sir.

I had the pleasure of F-4 for 3 years, before converting to another type due to F-4 retiring (RAF), but by god - what a ride! 

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

I was flying the F-111 at Nellis during this time.  Made friends with some of the F-4 instructors in the Fighter Weapons School and talked my way into a couple back seat rides with the instructors.

Here is an echelon formation turn onto Initial Approach at Nellis.  This was late afternoon, so the color cast may be a little biased towards the yellow/orange spectrum.

I also re-created that first photo in DCS using an F-16 instead of the F-4.  This gives a little color comparison of the real world vs DCS.

NTTR-7, 1968.jpg

Nellis AFB, 1968 vs DCS Virtual World, 2020.jpg

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Bob1943 said:

A 53 year old picture I took as we were entering the Nellis traffic pattern in 1968.  I think the color tones are still pretty accurate, i.e., photo color has not faded much with time.

NTTR-6, 1968.jpg

Soryy Bob1943, we try to post here only quality photos (digital) not the historic ones and color shifted. Yours are pretty, but are useless for our comparism. On the other hand, I think that even these old pictures shows that the terrain shlould not be so much color saturated. Your last picture with DCS F-16 is nice proof of my point here.

2 minutes ago, GumidekCZ said:

Soryy Bob1943, we try to post here only quality photos (digital) not the historic ones and color shifted. Yours are pretty, but are useless for our comparism. On the other hand, I think that even these old pictures shows that the terrain shlould not be so much color saturated. Your last picture with DCS F-16 is nice proof of my point here.

Research the quote starting “never look a gifthorse . . . . “

• Like 4

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

Why the map is looking much more colored and without any trees from above than it should be? It would be lovely to have more greyish rocks and sands and much more greenish mountains.

COYOTE.png

Another comparism. What is the strange DCS yellow/red sand??? What happened to the mountains? It look like someone cut all the bushes and trees and painted rocks to PINK 😅

WARHINGTON_RANGE_COYOTE_CHARLIE.png

Nice vid showing local nature wildlife from Mount Irish with nice colours:

Edited by GumidekCZ
  • Thanks 2

• GumidekCZ changed the title to NTTR MAP WRONG WEIRD TEXTURE COLOR TINT
  • 5 weeks later...

This thread may be of interest to you, and as someone who was born and raised in vegas and has done a lot of flying in the area at various times of day IRL, yes, the DCS coloring is very much off. I also posted in this other thread.

Some of Bob1943's pics have held up well and some haven't. The one with 229 dead center is a little faded, but the one them going into the break with 211 center has held up pretty well.

Overall I find most of the textures in the Nevada map, indeed, are way too bright and not actually brown enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 11 months later...
On 8/31/2021 at 2:26 AM, Eihort said:

This thread may be of interest to you, and as someone who was born and raised in vegas and has done a lot of flying in the area at various times of day IRL, yes, the DCS coloring is very much off. I also posted in this other thread.

Some of Bob1943's pics have held up well and some haven't. The one with 229 dead center is a little faded, but the one them going into the break with 211 center has held up pretty well.

Overall I find most of the textures in the Nevada map, indeed, are way too bright and not actually brown enough.

I have to agree with you, 2017 version color tint is much more realistic.

I wish that somebody from ED can do something with that. And not only with color tint but also with blending real distinctive colors of rock, sand, river wash, bush covered areas into WRONG monocolored texutre as cen be seen on mountain texuture above or at PG map now:

Edited by GumidekCZ
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, Draken35 said:

I flew over the Hoover dam yesterday, IRL, at about 33,000ft (according to the pilot). Today, I did the same in DCS. Set the mission date time to match with my fly.

ED took any terrain color and changed it into yellowish-orange sand color. On top of that, ED wiped out textures of any sign of typical grass or bushes

- according to me, NTTR map is how it should look if done by professional team. From high alt, it doesnt really matter, but at medium to ground level 🥴🙄

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

NTTR really needs a texture improvement that includes satellite textures with correct coloring, better mesh, and more ground vegetation. 

Edited by Boss86005
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".

---------------------------------------------------------

Intel i-9 9900k @ 5.0 Ghz, EVGA 2080tiFTW3 11Gb, Corsair H115 PRO water cooler, Gigabyte AorusMaster motherboard, EVGA Super Nova 1000 watt G+ powersupply, G.SKILL 64Gb ram @3800 MHz, HP EX 920 M.2 PCIe 3TB,Windows 10Pro x64

• 3 months later...
37 minutes ago, TOViper said:

What would you think about this modification:
NTTR_color_modification_to_fit_the_real_world.png

Unfortunately purpose of this topic isn't to show our modifications to ED team, but show them how OFF the colors of NTTR map are.

Your picture is much better than is in DCS, but still posses green vegetation of grass, bush, trees.

Got it.
The modification of my picture was simple, thus I consider changing the textures coming with NTTR and having this as a MOD to the installation.
Currently I have no idea of how to do this, but who knows ... maybe I find a minute or two in the next weeks.

But you are right, the texture colors ARE FAR OFF!

• Like 1

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

This was just a very cheap trick by taking out the red color by about 10% and the green by about 5% and then using a "Histogram adjustment" for luminance on IN and OUT.
I don't have any clue about what I was doing in my little old picture tool of the year 1998, but somehow it worked pretty well.
In fact I didn't change any of the textures, so this is just a filter thing, no replacement was made. :juggle:

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a long time now that I also get the same feeling described here "where does the orange and red tones come from?" 🤔

I could be wrong, and maybe even a bit ot a sacrilege saying it but, I remember being very impressed and liking the original release of Nevada a whole lot more (DCS 2.0 if memory serves me well?). The more pale colors and tones being far more realistic, IMO.

It's something I'd like to try sometime soon for a mod. 🙂 Some kind of "Nevada restoration", if the term serves here.

Edited by LucShep
  • Like 2

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

• 1 month later...

I just flew into Vegas. I'm literally now waiting for a flight to Portland. Most of the terrain looks light brown with some areas sand. There's a lot of variation in brown, sand, and dark brown. The DCS map looks way too yellow. Real life look grey/brown overall.

IMG_20230615_161942020_HDR.jpg

Edited by mytai01
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

• 4 weeks later...

atmospheric effects from moisture and dust are typically fading colors the further an object is (the higher you fly). i think, ideally the color palette should be adjusted to match the real world at ground level.
maybe dust or fog layers must be selected (within the limits of DCS), when comparing to RL fotos from above. otherwise there could be the risk that colors will be off again from high up, especially once ED's weather engine gets improved.

• Like 2

Fingers crossed LucShep gets some time on his hands soon!! 

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

6 hours ago, markturner1960 said:

Fingers crossed LucShep gets some time on his hands soon!! 

It doesn't seem that the ground textures of any map, except Caucasus, are accessible or moddable.

However, if someone feeling adventurous and have a bit of free time, they should be able to achieve the desired effect via shaders by playing with the values in these files:

DCS\Mods\terrains\Nevada\shadingOptions\Deferred.lua
DCS\Mods\terrains\Nevada\shadingOptions\Desert.lua

Here I made the terrain darker (shot at 12:00):

Screenshot - 230717 20_16_01.jpg

And here it's slightly less saturated:

Screenshot - 230717 20_34_48.jpg

Edited by Minsky
  • Thanks 1

Dima | My DCS uploads