Unable to engage autopilot

I’ve followed the instructions ironmike has given in other threads to the T, but I cannot get the autopilot to engage.

Steps I’ve taken, with no autopilot engaging:

• Tomcat steady trimmed at 0 fpm on the VSI. Other times, well within the +-200 fpm limit.
  • AP engage.
  • Alt hold.
  • AP ref light lit.
  • NWS/AP ref button pushed.
  • AP ref light stays lit

Conditions I’ve used, with no autopilot engaging:

• Speed above and below 400 knots.
  • VSI well within +-200 fpm. The video I’ve posted shows the tomcat perfectly trimmed.

• Cold start with full alignment and air start.

• Completely deleted and removed all mods and verified the integrity via steam.

• Completely deleted the tomcat module, and all associated files, and redownloaded through steam.

• Tested on both A and B models.

• Tested SP and MP.

• Used both keyboard and keybind for the NWS/AP ref button. Even remapped both.

Video for reference. Please note, the F-14VUX mod was deleted. But I used it here so you can more easily see everything.

Discord: https://discord.com/channels/269535523922509826/420225846196961280/870318918613475328

Imgur: https://imgur.com/sutwrnF

22 hours ago, Schrute, Paper Sales said:

I’ve followed the instructions ironmike has given in other threads to the T, but I cannot get the autopilot to engage.

Steps I’ve taken, with no autopilot engaging:

• AP engage.
  • Alt hold.

Shouldn't this be inverted? First alt hold (or whatever you wish to select), then AP engage? I always do it in this order. Direction hold, alt hold THEN AP engage. 

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

2 hours ago, Schrute, Paper Sales said:

No, ironmike spelled it out specifically. Still, even doing it that way doesnt work.

Just tested it in A, works fine on my end. If you try again drop track file here, I will check it.

1 hour ago, Schrute, Paper Sales said:

A little rough, but should get the point across.

Ive checked it. You are set correctly for it to work. In track Ive waited until you set your switches and VS, than waited for 1-2 tries of your attempts to engage. Than all I did was just take control and pressed my AP Ref. button, did not work right away I had to reset to 0 fpm VS, because there was a pitch up when I took control for whatever reason. Other that that it worked just fine.

My one guess is there is something wrong with your AP Ref. button binding. My second one, are you trimmed to 0fmp or are you wrestling with the stick to keep it level? You should be trimmed.

Following the advice of this thread, I was able to narrow the problem down.

With my Thrustmaster T1600M plugged in, the AP will not engage. Without it, works everytime. Tested where it was the sole peripheral, other then mouse and keyboard. Pitch and roll are the only axis bound. Tried deadzones of 0-5, none worked. My own windows game controller utility shows no unwanted movement. It's the only issue I have with this controller, and this is the only module which has exhibited any problems with it.

• 1 month later...

1. Controls:

You must increase the dead zone in the axis

tune, both the horizonal and vertical.

I have a dead zone equals three. 

I had originally set it zero and there's a little bit too much play in my stick And the autopilot article hold would not function.

I changed it to a three and it works fine.

Let me know if that works for you.

Good luck

T Swindle