What is the state of DCS WWII?

Reading some of the threads in the various WWII sub forums can leave one with the impression that DCS WWII is not very popular, and sees very little support. I myself have been lead to believe that until I actually took a closer look at the change log for the DCS WWII related products including the Combined Arms module. 

I was pleasantly surprised to find that my main interest in DCS is actually quite well supported considering how much room and air time the modern jet age products take up. For example, the WWII Assets pack saw 26 additions, 18 fixes, and 9 assets being made available for free in 2020 alone. If we consider that there were 6 updates to the WWII Assets pack in 2020, then you wouldn't be wrong in thinking it is probably due for an update soon as we haven't seen one in 2021 yet, but we have seen WWII related improvements as part of DCS World as a whole, like the new damage model, propeller animations, WWII related updates in CA, and the release of V2.7. And now that the Marianas map is out, my guess is that we will see a naval focused update to the Assets pack soon, not to mention a WWII version of the Marianas.

The Normandy map has also see 28 feature updates since November 2019, which include a handful of new areas and airfields with more detail, as well as bug fixes and optimizations. And the Developer has announced that we can expect more updates to the Normandy map once the Syria map is finished. The Channel map has also seen 21 feature updates/bug fixes with more likely to be on the way. 

And for anyone interested in the combined arms part of DCS World, the CA module has had 101 additions, fixes, and feature updates Since November of 2019. All of this without even mentioning the war birds themselves, which have all seen a number of updates/enhancements over the same time period. 

One question often asked is whether the WWII Assets pack, maps, and Combined Arms modules are worth getting. IMO, all of these products add a lot of value to DCS World and are very worthwhile getting. Even if you are not inclined to make missions, you are still using the Assets pack whenever you join a multi-player server that uses them. And as it continues to grow, the value it offers can only grow with it.

Abbreviated WWII Assets pack change log

DATE

ADDITIONS

FIXED

FREE ASSETS

16 April 2020

Ju 88A-4

Samuel Chase DM

A-20

Stug III

M10

Mk VIII Centaur

Elefant

Mk IV Churchill VII

M8 Greyhound

8.8 cm Flak 41 AAA

Flakscheinwerfer 37

V-1 and launching ramp

Shnellboot S-100 class

U-boat Type VII

M10 APC and HE shells

19 May 2020

Schnellboot Sound

Churchill & Cromwell Hull Guns

Opel Blitz Embarking

Embark for Kubelwagen

15 July 2020

15cm shell.

Bofors 40mm behaviour

75mm shell.

18 Aug 2020

Schnellboot attack

Bofors 40mm tuned

Flak 41 fire

Tail wheel behaviour

04 Nov 2020

M1 37mm AAA

Puma Sight reticle

A-20G bomber

M45 AAA

A-20G behaviour

Flak 18

QF 3.7 AAA

A-20G ignores Bombing

Bofors 40mm

Daimler Car

Gunners too accurate

Panzer IV

M4 Tractor

Evasion manoeuvres

Sherman

Mk VII Tetrarch

Sd.Kfz.251

FuMG 401 radar

M2A1

Blitz 3.6-6700A

Bedford MWD

17 Dec 2020

M70D sight

U-boat VII-C flak depth

Warehouses

WWII ships LSO disabled

Incorrect shell - flak 41

A-20 x-ray model

• Like 2

Your list missing great quantity of WW2 equipment:

2020:
Weapons and rails:

- AB-500-1

- AB-250 bomb dropping

- AB-500 bomb dropping

- AN-M30A1 Bomb

- AN-M57 Bomb

- AN-M64 Bomb

- AN-M65 Bomb

- AN-M66 Bomb

- LTF-5B Torpedo

- G7A-T1 Torpedo

- JGR-38 7.5 HE artillery ammunition

- M-8 Rocket

- M-61 APC with traccer ammunition

- Rocket Launcher 4.5 inch

- SC-2 Submunition

- SC-10 Submunition

- SC-250L-2 Bomb

- SC-500J Bomb

- SC-500L-2 Bomb

- SD-70

- SD-250 Stg Bomb

- SD-500A Stg Bomb

- Drop tank 105 Gal

- Drop tank 108 Gal

- Drop tank 250 Gal

- SChloss_500XIIC rail
2021 (released or present on DCS directories).

Vehicles and others
- Würzburg EW Radar

- FuSe 65 Radar

Armament and rails:

- 60Lb F NoI MkI HE Rocket

- 60Lb SAP No2 MkI Rocket

- 250Lb GP MkIV Bomb

- 250Lb GP MkV Bomb

- 250Lb MC MkI Bomb

- 250Lb MC MkII Bomb

- 250Lb SAB Bomb

- 500Lb GP MkIV Bomb

- 500Lb GP MkV Bomb

- 500Lb GP ST Type Bomb

- 500Lb MC MkII Bomb

- 500Lb MC Short Tailed Type Bomb

- 500Lb SAP Bomb

- Short 25Lb AP MkI Rocket

- AN-M30A1 100Lb bomb

- AN-M54 500Lb bomb (Update)

- AN-M59 White Pette Submunition

- Beer Bomb

- E6R2 Cluster Bomb
On develop:
- C-47 Dakota (ED has talk that as a "testbed" to new parachute infantry funtionality).
- Sd.Kfz. 124 Wespe

About CA, that has none exclusive, new aditions on vehilces and other coming to the new / updated 3D models on the core.

Edited by Silver_Dragon
  • Thanks 1

Yep, you're quite right. If you follow what some people say in the threads, but also out there on the internet, reddit, some youtubers, etc, one can end in the the quite wrong impression that WWII stuff in DCS is utterly neglected, almost derelict.

Luckily, nobody would say or believe that knowing what's going on, what we got in the last year and the year before, and what's planned to be in the near future, plus what we don't even know but is surely going on under the hood, right? 🤔  right? :music_whistling:

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

1 hour ago, Callsign112 said:

Reading some of the threads in the various WWII sub forums can leave one with the impression that DCS WWII is not very popular, and sees very little support. I myself have been lead to believe that until I actually took a closer look at the change log for the DCS WWII related products including the Combined Arms module. 

I was pleasantly surprised to find that my main interest in DCS is actually quite well supported considering how much room and air time the modern jet age products take up. For example, the WWII Assets pack saw 26 additions, 18 fixes, and 9 assets being made available for free in 2020 alone. If we consider that there were 6 updates to the WWII Assets pack in 2020, then you wouldn't be wrong in thinking it is probably due for an update soon as we haven't seen one in 2021 yet, but we have seen WWII related improvements as part of DCS World as a whole, like the new damage model, propeller animations, WWII related updates in CA, and the release of V2.7. And now that the Marianas map is out, my guess is that we will see a naval focused update to the Assets pack soon, not to mention a WWII version of the Marianas.

The Normandy map has also see 28 feature updates since November 2019, which include a handful of new areas and airfields with more detail, as well as bug fixes and optimizations. And the Developer has announced that we can expect more updates to the Normandy map once the Syria map is finished. The Channel map has also seen 21 feature updates/bug fixes with more likely to be on the way. 

And for anyone interested in the combined arms part of DCS World, the CA module has had 101 additions, fixes, and feature updates Since November of 2019. All of this without even mentioning the war birds themselves, which have all seen a number of updates/enhancements over the same time period. 

One question often asked is whether the WWII Assets pack, maps, and Combined Arms modules are worth getting. IMO, all of these products add a lot of value to DCS World and are very worthwhile getting. Even if you are not inclined to make missions, you are still using the Assets pack whenever you join a multi-player server that uses them. And as it continues to grow, the value it offers can only grow with it.

Abbreviated WWII Assets pack change log

DATE

ADDITIONS

FIXED

FREE ASSETS

16 April 2020

Ju 88A-4

Samuel Chase DM

A-20

Stug III

M10

Mk VIII Centaur

Elefant

Mk IV Churchill VII

M8 Greyhound

8.8 cm Flak 41 AAA

Flakscheinwerfer 37

V-1 and launching ramp

Shnellboot S-100 class

U-boat Type VII

M10 APC and HE shells

19 May 2020

Schnellboot Sound

Churchill & Cromwell Hull Guns

Opel Blitz Embarking

Embark for Kubelwagen

15 July 2020

15cm shell.

Bofors 40mm behaviour

75mm shell.

18 Aug 2020

Schnellboot attack

Bofors 40mm tuned

Flak 41 fire

Tail wheel behaviour

04 Nov 2020

M1 37mm AAA

Puma Sight reticle

A-20G bomber

M45 AAA

A-20G behaviour

Flak 18

QF 3.7 AAA

A-20G ignores Bombing

Bofors 40mm

Daimler Car

Gunners too accurate

Panzer IV

M4 Tractor

Evasion manoeuvres

Sherman

Mk VII Tetrarch

Sd.Kfz.251

FuMG 401 radar

M2A1

Blitz 3.6-6700A

Bedford MWD

17 Dec 2020

M70D sight

U-boat VII-C flak depth

Warehouses

WWII ships LSO disabled

Incorrect shell - flak 41

A-20 x-ray model

As mentioned in the other thread, which was promptly locked, the issue isn't a lack of assets but rather a lack of bugfixes for the actual aircraft. There's no point in adding trucks, halftracks and tanks when the actual interface between those and the players, namely the aircraft, aren't functioning properly. That's why WWII player numbers are waning. Fragmentation and the ground unit damage models is an area that's also lacking and it's been that way for over a decade.

I spent 90% of my time flying DCS warbirds in the Dora so that is the aircraft I base my opinion on. The Dora has a single gamebreaking bug that hasn't been fixed for ages. That's literally the only reason I'm not flying warbirds anymore. I'd love to fly multiplayer missions with all the new WWII assets and maps, but it's just not enjoyable due to the aforementioned reason.

Don't get me wrong; I love DCS and I've invested an unreasonable amount of money and time on all kinds of different modules. I'm just being honest about my personal view of the current status of DCS WWII.

8 minutes ago, Ala13_ManOWar said:

If you follow what some people say in the threads, but also out there on the internet, reddit, some youtubers, etc, one can end in the the quite wrong impression that WWII stuff in DCS is utterly neglected, almost derelict.

To be honest, that's a pretty accurate description of the Dora. I mean, we don't even have a texture template yet and it's been close to 7 years since release. For what reason, I don't know.

• Like 5

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

45 minutes ago, Silver_Dragon said:

Your list missing great quantity of WW2 equipment:

2020:
Weapons and rails:

- AB-500-1

- AB-250 bomb dropping

- AB-500 bomb dropping

- AN-M30A1 Bomb

- AN-M57 Bomb

- AN-M64 Bomb

- AN-M65 Bomb

- AN-M66 Bomb

- LTF-5B Torpedo

- G7A-T1 Torpedo

- JGR-38 7.5 HE artillery ammunition

- M-8 Rocket

- M-61 APC with traccer ammunition

- Rocket Launcher 4.5 inch

- SC-2 Submunition

- SC-10 Submunition

- SC-250L-2 Bomb

- SC-500J Bomb

- SC-500L-2 Bomb

- SD-70

- SD-250 Stg Bomb

- SD-500A Stg Bomb

- Drop tank 105 Gal

- Drop tank 108 Gal

- Drop tank 250 Gal

- SChloss_500XIIC rail
2021 (released or present on DCS directories).

Vehicles and others
- Würzburg EW Radar

- FuSe 65 Radar

Armament and rails:

- 60Lb F NoI MkI HE Rocket

- 60Lb SAP No2 MkI Rocket

- 250Lb GP MkIV Bomb

- 250Lb GP MkV Bomb

- 250Lb MC MkI Bomb

- 250Lb MC MkII Bomb

- 250Lb SAB Bomb

- 500Lb GP MkIV Bomb

- 500Lb GP MkV Bomb

- 500Lb GP ST Type Bomb

- 500Lb MC MkII Bomb

- 500Lb MC Short Tailed Type Bomb

- 500Lb SAP Bomb

- Short 25Lb AP MkI Rocket

- AN-M30A1 100Lb bomb

- AN-M54 500Lb bomb (Update)

- AN-M59 White Pette Submunition

- Beer Bomb

- E6R2 Cluster Bomb
On develop:
C-47 Dakota (ED has talk that as a "testbed" to new parachute infantry funtionality).
- Sd.Kfz. 124 Wespe

About CA, that has none exclusive, new aditions on vehilces and other coming to the new / updated 3D models on the core.

Thanks for making the list more complete, I might have missed an update or two as I was compiling it.

2 minutes ago, Ala13_ManOWar said:

Yep, you're quite right. If you follow what some people say in the threads, but also out there on the internet, reddit, some youtubers, etc, one can end in the the quite wrong impression that WWII stuff in DCS is utterly neglected, almost derelict.

Luckily, nobody would say or believe that knowing what's going on, what we got in the last year and the year before, and what's planned to be in the near future, plus what we don't even know but is surely going on under the hood, right? 🤔  right? :music_whistling:

S!

Well I would like to think that there are a number of things going on that we haven't heard about yet, but for me the point is that things do appear to be heading in the right direction in terms of making the combined arms simulator complete.

There are other discussions going on right now as I am sure you aware, and some members have rightly pointed out that there are a lot of things missing/incomplete/bugged. But what I found to be useful in terms of adding insight to the topic was compiling a list of the changes for all the modules. I only posted the one for the WWII Assets, and apparently I was even missing a number of things, but I did the same thing for the maps and CA. And IMO, ED really is making progress in the right direction.

It might not be as fast as everyone would like, but it is happening. Take combined arms for example, I remember what it was like 2.5 years ago compared to what we have today. It is quite a big change actually. And in my view, the way I am reading this is ED had quite a few major fences to jump like the new damage model, Super Carrier, V2.7, Marianas ect... But now that the foundation to some of the bigger pieces to the simulator have been put down, I am hoping that they will be able to start cleaning up some of the issues that have been around for a while.

15 minutes ago, WHOGX5 said:

To be honest, that's a pretty accurate description of the Dora. I mean, we don't even have a texture template yet and it's been close to 7 years since release. For what reason, I don't know.

If you mean the allegedly bug of engine breaking because people use old missions not fully compatible, yes, that's quite an annoying bug, right?

Granted you have to be active in the forums, you have to read a lot (bad thing for those awaiting the movie in order not to read a single letter), and everything in order to keep up to date and know all the stuff said here and there, but if I recall correctly Dora is meant to be revisited at some point so that template and all the skins made would be useless.

S!

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar
  • Like 1

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

5 minutes ago, Ala13_ManOWar said:

If you mean the allegedly bug of engine breaking because people use old missions not fully compatible, yes, that's quite an annoying bug, right?

Granted you have to be active in the forums, you have to read a lot (bad thing to those awaiting the movie in order not to read a single letter), and everything in order to keep up to date and know all the stuff said here and there, but if I recall correctly Dora is meant to be revisited at some point so that template and all the skins made would be useless.

S!

From what I can see in all the engine threads people are still having issues even in brand new missions. And it's not hard to stay up to date with the Dora. You can check the Dora subforum once a month and there'll be 10 new posts because there's almost no one in there anymore.

But yeah, let's hope that revisit becomes a reality. I think they were talking about overhauling the entire engine model which will hopefully fix that issue, but it was so long ago that I might just be misremembering. I really love the Dora and I just want to be able to fly her regularly again.

• Like 2

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

6 hours ago, WHOGX5 said:

As mentioned in the other thread, which was promptly locked, the issue isn't a lack of assets but rather a lack of bugfixes for the actual aircraft. There's no point in adding trucks, halftracks and tanks when the actual interface between those and the players, namely the aircraft, aren't functioning properly. That's why WWII player numbers are waning. Fragmentation and the ground unit damage models is an area that's also lacking and it's been that way for over a decade.

I spent 90% of my time flying DCS warbirds in the Dora so that is the aircraft I base my opinion on. The Dora has a single gamebreaking bug that hasn't been fixed for ages. That's literally the only reason I'm not flying warbirds anymore. I'd love to fly multiplayer missions with all the new WWII assets and maps, but it's just not enjoyable due to the aforementioned reason.

Don't get me wrong; I love DCS and I've invested an unreasonable amount of money and time on all kinds of different modules. I'm just being honest about my personal view of the current status of DCS WWII.

6 hours ago, WHOGX5 said:

From what I can see in all the engine threads people are still having issues even in brand new missions. And it's not hard to stay up to date with the Dora. You can check the Dora subforum once a month and there'll be 10 new posts because there's almost no one in there anymore.

But yeah, let's hope that revisit becomes a reality. I think they were talking about overhauling the entire engine model which will hopefully fix that issue, but it was so long ago that I might just be misremembering. I really love the Dora and I just want to be able to fly her regularly again.

I completely get your point and appreciate your honesty. The only difference between us might be that I can't actually decide which of the war birds I like more. After flying one for awhile, I can jump into one of the others only to be reminded how much I enjoy it. Admittedly I always somehow find my way back to either the P-51, or 109. Those two are probably at the very top of my list, but I wouldn't give any of the other planes up either.

But for me, DCS WWII just keeps getting better. Is it perfect, or even close to being finished, no, but it does keep getting better, and that includes ground and naval assets as well.

But I know what you mean about the Dora, it just never seems to get old does it.

• Like 3

My starting the “worried” thread wasn’t a cue for a DCS WW2 digfest…

I’m greatly enjoying flying the warbirds. IIRC I bought the Dora, Mustang, Spitfire and Kurfürst at or shortly after release, but PC limitations restricted my flight hours in DCS until relatively recently.

My go to aircraft are the 2 FWs, followed by the Spit, 109 and occasional P-51 flights… so dominated by warbirds.

My flight hours in modern modules is very modest in comparison, even though I have a good number of jets and helos in the hanger.

So DCS WW2 is where I want to fly. Yes there are wrinkles - AI capabilities being my biggest niggle… but there is much more that is great about DCS WW2, and I’m currently doing stuff in the ME to push my own boundaries, learning and workarounds 

Hugely looking forward to the Mossie and the Corsair and actually believe DCS WW2 is one of the highlights of the DCSW platform - each aircraft feels and flies differently, which is a massive 👍👍👍

The I-16 is great fun, it’s just a shame it has no contemporary flyables, AI or maps. I’m intrigued as to which WW2 module Mr Octopus has on the go, maybe the La 7 as WIP shots apparently for another sim have been posted on FB.

10 hours ago, Mogster said:

The I-16 is great fun, it’s just a shame it has no contemporary flyables, AI or maps.

It needs an A5M or Ki-27 (if you want KhalKhin Gol-like scenarios) or some bf-109E love. 
But then - what's a Bf-109E without a Hurricane Mk.I or early Spit? 😛

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

It needs an A5M or Ki-27 (if you want KhalKhin Gol-like scenarios) or some bf-109E love. 
But then - what's a Bf-109E without a Hurricane Mk.I or early Spit? 😛

Bf-109E would be ideal. Iconic plane and you have a BOB aircraft as well as an early Eastern front type with possibly minor changes. 

Supposedly a BoB set of planes is in the works by ED - all will be day one purchases for me. Don't know what to expect as to actual planes. Assuming early Spit and early 109 since really these would be tweaks of existing modules.

Would really like to see a Hurricane. If a Gloster Gladiator could be done... technology demonstrator for DCS WWI. Ha!

The I-16 is a great little ship. Lately I've taken to using it as my "sight seeing" plane instead of the Yak-52.

My quick goto warbird is always the Spitfire. Once it's mastered that plane feels like it is directly connected to your nervous system - none of the others give me the same sense of involvement. 109 is close but I prefer the Spit for some reason. Probably due to the quaint, steam punk style cockpit in the Spitfire. I-16 has a similar appeal that way - even moreso.

Mustang used to be my number two but that engine model...

I've really been meaning to spend some time in the FWs but... time is hard to find to start from almost square one again re-learning them.

Have the P-47 - haven't flown it at all other than a quick 5 mins of free flight when I first got it at release - see time comments above.

Looking forward to the Corsair, Mosquito, and La-7[?!].

Someone really needs to do the P-40 to have fun with the Japanese AI assets coming with the Corsair. I hope that some of the AI models will come with early variants appropriate for the I-16 as well.

All these planes are awesome. DCS WW2 has it's hiccups but to me it's the best WW2 sim out there.

• Like 2

I enjoyed the Maddox IL2 campaigns, flying both the fighter and IL2 campaigns from Barbarossa to Berlin. I do think the short range low altitude Eastern front air battles lend themselves to sim campaigns very well.

I’d be very happy if ED announced that they’ve set up dedicated ETO, PTO and Eastern Front teams. At the moment I get the impression that there’s no real plan, at least that’s the way it appears observing from the outside.

3 hours ago, Mogster said:

Bf-109E would be ideal. Iconic plane and you have a BOB aircraft as well as an early Eastern front type with possibly minor changes. 

Lots of calls for a G6, but the Emil would be much better for variety…

On 7/31/2021 at 3:15 AM, rkk01 said:

My starting the “worried” thread wasn’t a cue for a DCS WW2 digfest…

I’m greatly enjoying flying the warbirds. IIRC I bought the Dora, Mustang, Spitfire and Kurfürst at or shortly after release, but PC limitations restricted my flight hours in DCS until relatively recently.

My go to aircraft are the 2 FWs, followed by the Spit, 109 and occasional P-51 flights… so dominated by warbirds.

My flight hours in modern modules is very modest in comparison, even though I have a good number of jets and helos in the hanger.

So DCS WW2 is where I want to fly. Yes there are wrinkles - AI capabilities being my biggest niggle… but there is much more that is great about DCS WW2, and I’m currently doing stuff in the ME to push my own boundaries, learning and workarounds 

Hugely looking forward to the Mossie and the Corsair and actually believe DCS WW2 is one of the highlights of the DCSW platform - each aircraft feels and flies differently, which is a massive 👍👍👍

I think threads like your "worried" thread are very important as they add to the much needed and important discussions about DCS WWII. My message to anyone new and just starting out, or anyone that hasn't explored WWII yet is that DCS WWII is very much alive and well.

Having almost the entire WWII collection of modules/maps, I can say from experience that DCS WWII is very far from being complete especially the ground and naval aspects, but at the same time I also get a sense of the direction it is heading and am excited as I wait for the next update. Even in its current state, DCS WWII is really one of the best combined arms WWII simulators around. My suggestion would be to take your time getting to know DCS World and all it has to offer. And don't overlook, or forget about the tech packs as they are very important to the overall DCS World experience.

You can for example download DCS World for free, and by purchasing just the Combined Arms module get a good sense of the best DCS has to offer. Using just the Caucasus map, you could use the free TF-51D to recon, while commanding ground assets to attack an armored column of PzIV's, or get more into the action using the SU-25T while you command ground units to engage the enemy at the same time. If the player wants the complete historical experience, adding one of the WWII maps with the Assets pack and any of the available planes will allow the creation of some very immersive WWII game play.

If DCS world is the engine, then I see the Combined Arms module as is its transmission, as it brings the digital combat simulator to life more than any other module in the series. Learning to use the mission editor with the CA module is key to making the air, land, and sea assets work in unison.

"We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender..."

Edited by Callsign112

On 7/31/2021 at 3:25 AM, Mogster said:

The I-16 is great fun, it’s just a shame it has no contemporary flyables, AI or maps. I’m intrigued as to which WW2 module Mr Octopus has on the go, maybe the La 7 as WIP shots apparently for another sim have been posted on FB.

The I-16 is one of those vintage pre-WWII planes that you just have to try to really appreciate it. The DCS I-16 is full of detail and beautifully modeled, and even though it doesn't currently have a contemporary, a number of people seem to well with it on MP servers. And the DCS version has received its share of good reviews from the prominent YouTuber's that have trialed it.

22 minutes ago, Callsign112 said:

The I-16 is one of those vintage pre-WWII planes that you just have to try to really appreciate it. The DCS I-16 is full of detail and beautifully modeled, and even though it doesn't currently have a contemporary, a number of people seem to well with it on MP servers. And the DCS version has received its share of good reviews from the prominent YouTuber's that have trialed it.

I always enjoyed flying it in Maddox IL2 although it felt a bit overmodelled. Being forced to exchange the I-16 for the Lagg 3 was depressing, although that seems to have been the reaction in real life.

Our version from Mr Octopus seems far more wild than the old easy fly Maddox IL2 version, but that feels right. The engine doesn’t seem to need any looking after which feels a bit strange, maybe I’ve been lucky.

The Ishak is the only WW2 module I don’t have… and it looks like it should be a “must buy” (let’s see when the Mossie is due…)

I’d also forgotten just how funny Laobi’s video reviews are - thanks for the reminder 👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, Mango said:

What happened to the WWII kickstarter link in the DCS user profile page?  I'm pretty sure the new Mossie is not included in this but wanted to confirm.   Also, I want my T-shirt!   😛

On your "personal section" at the bottom is a dropdown selection called "Licensing". There the Backers page is hidden. No, the Mossie is not part of it. But check the page nonetheless.

• Like 1
Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

On 8/1/2021 at 1:04 PM, Callsign112 said:

I dearly love the little I-16, but the only MP server I've come across that supports it is Clash of Wings, which is sparsely populated. I asked if the I-16 can be added to the SoW server and was told it doesn't fit the historical narrative. Ok, I get that, though I'm not convinced that either SoW or LDFM are super-historically-accurate. That leaves the Just-Dogfight servers, and I have yet to see someone flying a WWII warbird there. Does anyone know another MP server that does support the I-16?

• Thanks 1