What is the state of DCS WWII?

From where I'm sat, DCS WWII is the most comprehensive and fleshed out era of DCS, and in more than a few cases, by quite some margin.

• Peer REDFOR and BLUFOR modules done to a similar quality and quantity
  • A dedicated asset pack
  • 2 dedicated maps with a 3rd in development
  • The era where numerous new technologies came to first:
    • Searchlights
    • Damage model
    • Torpedoes (including air dropped, surface launched and submerged launch)
    • VT shells
    • AI improvements

And that's even with all of the stuff missing.

Edited by Northstar98
spelling
  • Like 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

1 hour ago, Northstar98 said:

From where I'm sat, DCS WWII is the most comprehensive and flushed out era of DCS, and in more than a few cases, by quite some margin.

• A dedicated asset pack
    • Searchlights
    • Damage model
    • VT shells
    • AI improvements

+1... And with ED really tackling all the major core/graphics engine stuff head on, my feeling is we are likely going to see a lot more of what we all want in all era's of DCS World.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Northstar98 said:

From where I'm sat, DCS WWII is the most comprehensive and flushed out era of DCS, and in more than a few cases, by quite some margin.

• A dedicated asset pack
    • Searchlights
    • Damage model
    • VT shells
    • AI improvements

Yes. We have “DCS WW2” with planes, assets and maps and it’s easy to see the advantages of focus already.

Going forward why not have DCS Korea? DCS Vietnam? DCS Europe 1980 “Red Storm Rising”. Some planes and assets would be transferable, some would need to be new but it would give everything a sandbox to fit in to and it’s easy to see which parts are missing and if stuff was to be made which would have most value. This will be increasingly important when the dynamic campaign is ready.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I will say this that the possible variants of aircraft would be easy to up date to give more variety in mission changes. A 109-g6 in the air file of the k4 would work to fly against the Spit and P -51 B in early 1943 late 42.  Also 1944 spitfire MKIXe merlin 70 engine with 25 lbs and 50 cal and 20mm cannons would be great to fly against the 109 k4. Also with the channel map a 109E4 vs Spitfire 100oct and my favorite a hawker hurricane would hit a homerun for DCS with the Map.  Also one flyable bomber for each side- US B-17 and a JU88 or Heinkel would draw so many from other slims and it will see a leap in this small WWII community.  Most of us have Cliffs of Dover Blitz Tobruk and all of Il2 Sturmovik BoS series.

Last I counted between all online play of all the sims on what I thought was a long holiday weekend only mustered about 300 online WWII pilots.  The rest are offline flyers and the sims they give the greater variety is where most spend there time.

Creating a new Channel Server for our squad TWC and trying to use the DSCM campaign MOD.  Hoping to see more pilots but if the 109 does not have MW not a lot of red stay....

Edited by king1hw

On 8/14/2021 at 4:45 PM, hannibal said:

im just waiting for a multicrew WWII aircraft that has at least one gunner position. thats all i am hoping for in DCS WWII

someone to fly me around so that i can be someones gunner...all i ask!

Haven't flown a lot of that, but we tested the Mosquito multicrew in my squad and even just being a navigator, helping with checklists, weapons, some engine management, and everything, but you are mostly just sitting there telling your pilot a heading at times (if you really act as a navigator, of course). But even just that, is a lot of fun and certainly a quite interesting task despite the apparent lack of action. Might be quite interesting a gunner position either, hope at some point we got it.

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar
typo
  • Like 1

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

12 hours ago, king1hw said:

Creating a new Channel Server for our squad TWC and trying to use the DSCM campaign MOD.  Hoping to see more pilots but if the 109 does not have MW not a lot of red stay....

Its not true... I flew almost all time in a 109k4 In the SOW server and there the 109 didn´t have mw50 and it was not a problem to 109 pilots...

A channel map server big problem is the poor frame rate ...this map need some optimizations to perform better!

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/23/2022 at 6:41 AM, king1hw said:

Looking for Reds to come on our server AI is getting boring...  Channel Map flys fine for me and those that fly with me overseas and in the US!!!

Looked for your server this a.m., not showing up.