Max range Sparrow shots

Dannyvandelft

Been practicing my Sparrow deployment, and at shorter ranges, below 6 nm or so, all seems well. I get about an 80% hit rate. But, at long range shots, the missile will almost be at the target, and Jester changes radar modes and immediately trashes the missile. WTF?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, Dannyvandelft said:

Been practicing my Sparrow deployment, and at shorter ranges, below 6 nm or so, all seems well. I get about an 80% hit rate. But, at long range shots, the missile will almost be at the target, and Jester changes radar modes and immediately trashes the missile. WTF?

He’s changing from PD to Pulse, to try and null the possibility of a notch. Due to the unreliability of switching from PD to pulse, the lock is lost.

• Like 3

BreaKKer

CAG and Commanding Officer of:

Carrier Air Wing Five //  VF-154 Black Knights

22 minutes ago, Dannyvandelft said:

Jester changes radar modes and immediately trashes the missile

image.png

Make sure this option in the Options -> Special -> F-14 is disabled. The idea is Jester is supposed to transition from PD to Pulse when you get close to 10NM. However Jester is coded such that if he tries to make that transition from while the target is below the nose, or off to one side, he will most likely fail. Jester does not know to take this into consideration when making that transition, so the lock is dropped. 

As for Sparrows outside 10 miles, they're a bit screwy right now. The MH is the most fine, it'll generally guide so long as it doesn't get chaffed. The M and F have an issue where they won't guide on a target with ECM, and seem to have issues on tracking targets outside 10 miles or with low closure. All of them, even if they do track, are prone to drift outside of fuzing distance when approaching the target for reasons that might be related to random aiming error ED introduced

• Like 5

Yeah, before the guys here told me of that option to disable Jester switching to P-STT on his own, 90% of my STT locks got trashed. Now it's the other way around. In fact, if you wanna go P-STT, it's probably best to fence-in like that.

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

What range are you employing your long shots?

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

15 minutes ago, DSplayer said:

Question for the OP?

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

24 minutes ago, captain_dalan said:

Question for the OP?

Yeah. I never use Sparrows outside of PAL range since outside of 10nm, the Sparrow is basically useless imo.

Edited by DSplayer

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

It depends on the aspect of the target. If they're coming straight at you, the range is obviously longer than if they're flying away from you. The shot I mentioned in my first post was probably 20nm or so. And it was going to hit until Jester dropped the lock. I was flying fast enough to keep the missile in visual range and could see it tracking till the last minute when it went stupid.

20NM is reasonable at medium altitude and transonic, it's where I usually take my first Sparrow shots. With a good crank, the missile will generally time out ~ 7NM from the target. You can get close to 30 miles out of it if you get supersonic and high, but past 25NM you start running into battery life issues. Below 20,000 ft try and hold shots a little closer.  

• Like 1

I have pulled some 20NM shots too, usually above 20000ft and supersonic or transonic. 15-20000ft though, i usually stick to 15NM for my first shot (coming out of a crank) and 7-10NM for the following shot, of needed. Bellow 5000ft though (the way most DCS users fight on most open servers), yeah..... it makes little sense to launch them beyond 10NM. 

I've never managed to pull a 30NM kill though. Not even against an AWACS or a tanker. What parameters were you in when you managed to score that kill? And against what kind of targets? Fighters? Bombers? Hot? Super HOT?! 

Supersonic launch above 30,000 feet with a shooter assisted loft, against a hot target in the 20-30,000s fighter sized that maneuvers. If he stays pointed at you or turns no further cold than the beam the missile will have a decent chance, if he turns colder than the beam most likely defeated.

As with any launch at these kinds of ranges, when the target maneuvers is as important as how much the target maneuvers. If it maneuvers immediately after launch, the missile will probably never make it. If the target maneuvers in the last 10-15 seconds of the time of flight, the missile can probably hack that and get to the target.

This is all before CM resistance or lack thereof comes into play. Pure kinematics and battery life of the missile.

Edited by KlarSnow
  • Like 4

On 7/31/2021 at 1:32 AM, near_blind said:

...might be related to random aiming error ED introduced

This was for AIM-120 only afaik.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

On 8/1/2021 at 4:17 AM, KlarSnow said:

Supersonic launch above 30,000 feet with a shooter assisted loft, against a hot target in the 20-30,000s fighter sized that maneuvers. If he stays pointed at you or turns no further cold than the beam the missile will have a decent chance, if he turns colder than the beam most likely defeated.

As with any launch at these kinds of ranges, when the target maneuvers is as important as how much the target maneuvers. If it maneuvers immediately after launch, the missile will probably never make it. If the target maneuvers in the last 10-15 seconds of the time of flight, the missile can probably hack that and get to the target.

This is all before CM resistance or lack thereof comes into play. Pure kinematics and battery life of the missile.

Ah awesome! And it explains why i could never pull it off. I fly the A almost exclusively and it struggles to go supersonic that high 🙂