what are you using for connectors?

gardnerjr

So far, when i have a few sets of wires to connect from one section of a panel to another, i've been using dupont style connectors.  but i have a couple of places where i have like 8 or 10 pin connectors and making them is a pain.  and then they aren't "keyed" in any way, so i have to make sure i use the same color wires or some other obvious way of marking which way is which.  (i had some 4 pin that were 2x2 which has all kinds of ways to orient it wrong!)  pic for context, since i had to take the whole thing apart to get the display out and fix it, then put it all back together (a rather large flaw in the design!)

my mess of plugs

i've seen some going with network style RJ45/etc, but it seems that the connectors are relatively huge (and the wires relatively small in comparison?)

for my power connectors for the led backlighting, i'm thinking about switching to male/female plug style connectors since which one is which doesn't matter at all.

What are y'all using? what do you recommend? any clever easy to use ones i've never heard of before?

I use 2.54mm JST-XH series connectors.
You can get kits with varying numbers of contacts on Amazon.
You can use the same crimp tool as the Dupont connectors.
They are keyed, and as they're 2.54mm spacing, you can use Duponts for temporary testing connections if you want.

I've also got some 3.96mm JST-VH series for heavier duty.  This is what my CNC engraver power board uses.

Edited by No1sonuk
  • Like 1

Something else to think of is making your own keyed connections.

e.g. if your 2x2 uses all 4 contacts, change it to 2x3 and completely fill in one of the blank sockets, then remove the corresponding pin from the header.
You could also do this with single-row headers. As long as you choose a blank hole that's in a position that isn't rotationally symmetrical, that should stop you plugging in the wrong way round.
e.g. If you need 4 wires, use a 1x5 body and make pin 1,2,4 or 5 the blank, but not 3.

1 ora fa, No1sonuk ha scritto:

I use 2.54mm JST-XH series connectors.

You can get kits with varying numbers of contacts on Amazon.
You can use the same crimp tool as the Dupont connectors.
They are keyed, and as they're 2.54mm spacing, you can use Duponts for temporary testing connections if you want.

I second this: JSTs are my first choice nowadays because of the keying factor. Also, I find their lower profile and greater sturdiness (when mounted on PCBs) compared to Dupont ones another great benefit. I also often use JST-PH (2.00mm pitch) in tight spaces. They can be crimped with the same crimping tool and are also very easy to find in sets on Amazon or other sites.