Landing with Stores

SharpeXB

I’m curious what the real practice for this is as both options seem crazy. Landing your jet with unexpended bombs on it or jettisoning $$$ smart munitions. 🤔

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

19 minutes ago, Foka said:

weight limit of 34 000 lbs for carrier landing.

I do not have reference about specific landing limitations with stores but: 

Landings Limitations:

Field

39.000 Lbs Flared

33.000 Lbs Practice/Touch'n'Go/Barricade 

Carrier 

33.000 Lbs Unrestricted

34.000 Lbs with some restrictions

Yeah I suppose at some point in history weapons became expensive enough that it was worth bringing them back. 

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

On 7/31/2021 at 4:26 PM, SharpeXB said:

Yeah I suppose at some point in history weapons became expensive enough that it was worth bringing them back. 

It's not just the dollar cost.

1. The carrier only has so much room in its magazines...yes, hundreds of weapons, but during a four-day surge, the carrier is likely to put up 700-800 strike sorties, with 1,300-1,400 weapons under their wings that won't come back to the boat. At that point, the air wing starts to run out of weapons. Every sortie that comes back with its bombs is another target that can be struck.

2. Every sortie that comes back with its bombs is a jet that doesn't have to be reloaded, meaning less work for the deck crews.

• Like 3

Very Respectfully,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

London

"In my private manual I firmly believed the only time there was too much fuel aboard any aircraft was if it was fire." --Ernest K. Gann

I also remember reading something about center fuel tank having a certain maximum of load for carrier landings

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

1 hour ago, Ala12Rv-Tundra said:

I also remember reading something about center fuel tank having a certain maximum of load for carrier landings

If memory serves me correct any drop tank has to either be full or empty so it doesn't slosh around on trapping.

The preference is generally to dump fuel to get below max landing weight, rather than jettisoning weapons. Planners are pretty careful about sending up aircraft with a weapons load they will not be able to bring back to the boat if not used. 

• Like 2

If there is no guarantee weapons will be released, then you won’t launch with ordnance that won’t allow you to come back with it, whilst still meeting the CAG’s determined minimum tankstate + X passes. This amount of passes might be lowered if required,  (but it is not up to the pilot to make this decision). 

If you’re scheduled a pre-planned mission obviously things are different. 
The F/A-18C was very limited in its “bringback” capabilities, if you google “bringback” you will find lots of articles about it. However just dumpling ordnance or empty tanks is and was not a thing. (Although it seems in DCS). 

hope this somewhat answered your question. 

• Like 2