Super Taurus TDC Slew Poor

wilbur81

Hey, fellas.

I bit the bullet and bought the Super Taurus throttle. It's impressive in so many ways to say the least. However, I have found that the TDC slew controller (arguable THE most important function on a Hornet throttle next to the arms themselves) is a bit disappointing. I find that it does not have enough throw and lacks the ability to make small sensitive movements around the center. Case in point: Play the AGM-65F training mission for the Hornet where there are little groups of 3 tanks and trying to slew to the desired target, making those small, near-center, corrections is really very poor. It is almost as if the TDC slew hardware has a built in dead-zone where small physical movements do not register.

Now, I should say that I'm coming from my trusty Logitech X-56 which has an AMAZING mini-stick on the throttles that gives you excellent TDC/sensor control. Since the Hornet is my primary jet, is there anyone out there with the S. Taurus having similar troubles or have you just gotten used to it? I think it reiterates for me that, given hardware variety and limitations, I REALLY REALLY wish that ED would enable TDC slew speed and sensitivity adjustments for each display/sensor! (We all know about the ridiculous slew-behavior when the TDC is in the HUD). 

Just disappointed that this AMAZING throttle has a mediocre TDC slew hat, which is such an important feature of the Hornet...

Edited by wilbur81
  • Like 1

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

• wilbur81 changed the title to Super Taurus TDC Slew Poor

I picked one up a couple weeks ago too (stick as well). Coming from an X-55, I'm used to a simple hat switch for TDC control. With that said, I'm not sure I can reproduce your problem. There is an ever so slight deadzone built into the TDC but it is very slight. Feels almost like the TDC flexing slightly as pressure is applied rather than moving. Once it actually moves, simapp and DCS both detect the movement. I have noticed that the TDC in the hornet doesn't take these direct inputs though. It seems to have a pretty heavy response curve in it making much of the initial movement do basically nothing. But that has nothing to do with the control itself, that's a DCS F-18C specific issue. It may or may not be realistic. Either way, I don't find precise control to be a problem.

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

1 hour ago, BeastyBaiter said:

I have noticed that the TDC in the hornet doesn't take these direct inputs though. It seems to have a pretty heavy response curve in it making much of the initial movement do basically nothing. But that has nothing to do with the control itself, that's a DCS F-18C specific issue. It may or may not be realistic. Either way, I don't find precise control to be a problem.

Hmm... that's interesting. After some more testing in SimApp and then in-game, I think you're exactly right!

5 hours ago, Waxer said:

I just played with the curves until I got something that I like to use. You understand how to do that in DCS right? (If not I can point you in the right direction).

Yeah, I've just never had to mess with them with the TDC slew in particular (other than the little dead zone I had to create on my X-56, which, as a testament to its quality, the Super Taurus TDC doesn't require). Thanks for the offer, though. 👍 It looks like we just need to wait for ED to speed up and tweak the speed of the cursor in the Hornet.

Don't forget to recalibrate it in simapp pro. Mine was poorly calibrated from factory.

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat

3 hours ago, The LT said:

Don't forget to recalibrate it in simapp pro. Mine was poorly calibrated from factory.

Interesting, I didn't know you had to calibrate the slew itself. I'll take a look. Thanks, LT.

Interesting, I didn't know you had to calibrate the slew itself. I'll take a look. Thanks, LT.
Try switching the stick to square too, then make sure there are no curves or saturation in dcs axis tuning.
  • Thanks 1

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat