Inside out tracking room setup ?

Fish

Hi All, 

I've been struggling with poor tracking in DCS since i got my reverb V1 some time ago. Tried various lighting, desk objects and even monitor wall paper, but nothing really improved it. Im using my hotas on the desk, along with a button box. 

I recently tried moving hotas back away from the desk, and temporarily putting them on chairs left and right, and this arrangement gave me much more consistent 6DOF tracking. Seems like WMR does not like very close objects for calculating tracking. While this is a temporary test, moving away from my desk is impractical ATM. 

Be interested in hearing others experience how you set up your room to get the best tracking with wmr. 

Cheers. 

Edited by Fish

Fish's Flight Sim Videos

[sIGPIC]I13700k, RTX4090, 64gb ram @ 3600, superUltraWide 5120x1440, 2560x1440, 1920x1080, Warthog, Tusba TQS, Reverb VR1000, Pico 4, Wifi6 router, 360/36 internet[/sIGPIC]

Hi All, 
I've been struggling with poor tracking in DCS since i got my reverb V1 some time ago. Tried various lighting, desk objects and even monitor wall paper, but nothing really improved it. Im using my hotas on the desk, along with a button box. 

I recently tried moving hotas back away from the desk, and temporarily putting them on chairs left and right, and this arrangement gave me much more consistent 6DOF tracking. Seems like WMR does not like very close objects for calculating tracking. While this is a temporary test, moving away from my desk is impractical ATM. 

Be interested in hearing others experience how you set up your room to get the best tracking with wmr. 
Cheers. 
Are there LEDs on your HOTAS?

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

Not sure if it's a factor, but you could try turning them off. I had a Warthog throttle and stick for a few years and the LEDs on the throttle also caused the grey slider (can't remember what it was called), to jitter unless they were on MAX or off. I used it for TIR zoom.

I used this tool to turn them off completely, but it allows you to change the intensity in steps (have to do it at every boot):

https://forums.vrsimulations.com/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=94&t=14646

I didn't run TARGET hence no LED control without the above.

It may help, who knows

Edited by zildac
  • Like 1

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

Thanks for that tip. Think it helps some. Daylight seems to be detrimental also. 

Hoping for more tips here. 

• Like 1

Fish's Flight Sim Videos

[sIGPIC]I13700k, RTX4090, 64gb ram @ 3600, superUltraWide 5120x1440, 2560x1440, 1920x1080, Warthog, Tusba TQS, Reverb VR1000, Pico 4, Wifi6 router, 360/36 internet[/sIGPIC]

Reverb G1 user here too, also with TM WH sitck and throttle on the desk. I had tracking issues until I increased the power of my main room light.

I fly with curtains closed, a 100W equivalent LED main room light, and a basic LED desk lamp (from a popular Swedish outlet).

My RGB keyboard and lamp do not appear to cause issues with the G1 sensors. I did disabled the WH throttle LEDs though, distracting!

• Like 1

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

OK, 

Here's what didn't work.....

Removed any reflective objects from the FOV, 

Removed mouse mat from the desk, 

Added additional diffused light from overhead, 

Eliminated any source of LED light in the FOV, devices, throttle, amp, TIR etc.

Changing my USB from a PCI riser card, to the main MB, 

Switching all monitors in front of the headset off. 

And here's what did work. 

Moving my chair as far away from the desk, as practical. I have a height adjustable one, so raising it. and moving my stick and throttle to the edge of the desk, gave me almost perfect tracking, with no flicker, or continuous re-alignment. A good test is to make a DCS track, then replay it with your chair turned away from your desk, looking into the room. 

Seems to me that the cameras have a minimum distance they will focus, and inside this it's not getting enough information to distinguish objects, and so gets confused.  I will do more testing ,and try to come up with the headset-objects distance limits for the headset.  

Edited by Fish

Fish's Flight Sim Videos