DCS: F-16C Viper Roadmap

Wags

I will say this stuff has changed a lot, from tape to tape. I have some of the current version export guides, and they go up into the 900s. If you look at squadron created materials (I'm thinking of a bombing range card from the B course), the targets are in the 400s. It's got to be tough to nail down exactly what we are "supposed" to have for this version.

Not totally steerpoint related, but I was talking to a friend who flew F-16s, and he told me that the software is always changing. For example, if the Israelis shared intel with the US about some SAM system's emissions they detected near Syria, that frequency info would be updated into all F-16s and F-16 sims ASAP. with that capability to change things very rapidly, it's got to be amazingly hard to create a 1:1 with any particular F-16 of any year.

That being said, i think we are going to end up with the best all-around F-16, that tries to be as close as it can to a USAF F-16, of any entertainment level flight sim. It's happening pretty quickly now, and this last patch shows great promise in that direction. Here's hoping the road map keeps the course.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Dances, PhD

Jet Hobo

https://v65th.wordpress.com/

• ED Team
On 8/12/2021 at 8:27 PM, FoxOne007 said:

can you please confirm the MGRS capable steerpoint range, as STPT 25 is reserved for the Bullseye in the Block 50 -CM

As far as I am aware in DCS by default the bullseye is assigned to steerpoint 25. If no steerpoint 25 exists in the mission, the bullseye will default to the Mission Editor placed bullseye.

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

31 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

As far as I am aware in DCS by default the bullseye is assigned to steerpoint 25. If no steerpoint 25 exists in the mission, the bullseye will default to the Mission Editor placed bullseye.

Just to confirm - are you saying we need to populate 25, or do we continue to leave ME pulled BE?  And therefore can we “move” the BE by adding L/L to SP25 mid mission for example? Thanks

• ED Team

If there is a steer point 25 it will used as bullseye, if you dont have a steer point 25 the in game bullseye is used. 

• Like 1

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

28 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

If there is a steer point 25 it will used as bullseye, if you dont have a steer point 25 the in game bullseye is used. 

A lot of people put in steerpoint information manually when they are in the cockpit, so no points in the ME are usually set up, and a 25 point flightplan  is a ridiculous thing to have. So I hope the logic behind it get’s changed soon so it supports the change when it’s manually input in the cockpit. And that when the BE DED page finally comes it will allow us to set any steerpoint to be set as Bulls, as described in -34 manual

Edited by FoxOne007

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

I have checked with the team, changing the bullseye to any other waypoint will come when we add the bulls DED page.

thanks

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2021 at 8:07 AM, BIGNEWY said:

I have checked with the team, changing the bullseye to any other waypoint will come when we add the bulls DED page.

thanks

It's not immediately clear from any previous messages.  Will we be getting bullseye for the radar cursor displayed on the FCR and HSD or just the ability to change the steerpoint the aircraft references for bullseye?

• Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 8:08 AM, Mirage2425 said:

It's not immediately clear from any previous messages.  Will we be getting bullseye for the radar cursor displayed on the FCR and HSD or just the ability to change the steerpoint the aircraft references for bullseye?

Agree, 

Having no bullseye on radar cursor makes it difficult to function with a wingman in a A/A engagement. 

• Like 4

This isn't exactly a bug, so I'll post it here. A simple matter, in the DCS F-16 it is impossible to light the position lights (wing / tail) without the wing tip position lights (form lights). The wing tip lights are determined by the intensity of the wing / tail lights. I found a picture of USAF showing the Viper AAR in the mentioned light config (wingtip OFF and wing / tail ON).

150310-F-MG591-356.jpg

I think the intensity of the wingtip lights should not depend on the wing / tail lights. We should turn off the wingtip lights with the FORM LIGHTS intensity knob, leaving the wing / tail ON. Now it's impossible because You can use FORM knob dimmer with only wing / tail lights OFF.

On 8/24/2021 at 12:08 PM, Mirage2425 said:

From the last update from wags, its planned for this year:

"Air-to-Air Radar improvements: DTT SAM mode, bullseye, and intercept steering cue."

I hope so because its imposible to coordinate correctly between multiple planes/GCI.

• Like 3

vor 17 Stunden schrieb Ignition:

From the last update from wags, its planned for this year:

"Air-to-Air Radar improvements: DTT SAM mode, bullseye, and intercept steering cue."

I hope so because its imposible to coordinate correctly between multiple planes/GCI.

It is incredible important in multiplayer environments.

On 8/14/2021 at 5:28 PM, BIGNEWY said:

Hi,

I believe this it not the way it works at the moment in-game. Let me know if I should report this as a bug with track or if I misunderstood something.

Test mission on Caucasus with player starting airborne as blue F-16. Bullseyes untouched, so default blue/red/neutral BEs exist in mission.

I tried three different things and none of these gave me STPT 25 as bulls.

First try:

1. Enter flight. Bulls is shown from the BLUE bullseye as it should.

2. Add L/L and elev to STPT 25. Note: STPTs 2 to 24 are empty.

3. Confirm STPT 25 is saved (correct bearing and distance on HUD bottom right).

What I expected? Bulls from STPT 25.

What happened? Bulls from mission BLUE BE.

Second try:

1. Modify the mission, populating F-16 route STPTs 1 to 25.

Third try:

1. Modify the mission file by hand, delete BLUE bullseye completely. No other changes (STPTs 1 to 25 are populated).

2. Enter flight.

What happened? Bulls from mission NEUTRAL bullseye.

Best regards,

itn

Edited by itn

• ED Team
41 minutes ago, itn said:

Hi,

I believe this it not the way it works at the moment in-game. Let me know if I should report this as a bug with track or if I misunderstood something.

Test mission on Caucasus with player starting airborne as blue F-16. Bullseyes untouched, so default blue/red/neutral BEs exist in mission.

I tried three different things and none of these gave me STPT 25 as bulls.

First try:

1. Enter flight. Bulls is shown from the BLUE bullseye as it should.

2. Add L/L and elev to STPT 25. Note: STPTs 2 to 24 are empty.

3. Confirm STPT 25 is saved (correct bearing and distance on HUD bottom right).

Second try:

1. Modify the mission, populating F-16 route STPTs 1 to 25.

Third try:

1. Modify the mission file by hand, delete BLUE bullseye completely. No other changes (STPTs 1 to 25 are populated).

2. Enter flight.

What happened? Bulls from mission NEUTRAL bullseye.

Best regards,

itn

Hi itn,

Please wait future builds should help. 

thanks

bignewy

On 8/6/2021 at 10:11 PM, FoxOne007 said:

Since ED is making a USAF/ANG version and not an export version that is gonna be a no too

Is this still the case with the most recent weapon restriction update?

Not adding fire to the flame but the weapon restriction update was brought forward again following the recent "HARMgate" conversations. There was conflicting evidence that the USAF/ANG 2007 version of the bl.50 could both carry and launch 4 HARMs. We know that export versions of the F-16C can definitely launch 4 HARMs. Is the weapon restriction update based on the conflicting evidence of USAF/ANG loadouts or the fact that the F-16C can indeed launch 4 HARMs with the correct connections which, I'm guessing, the restriction idea is essentially simulating the mechanics wiring the umbilical cord.

I know it's unlikely that the AGM-84 is now in scope but thought I'd ask anyway. I also don't know which block version of the F-16 supports AGM-84.

Edited by ColinM9991

59 minutes ago, ColinM9991 said:

Not adding fire to the flame but the weapon restriction update was brought forward again following the recent "HARMgate" conversations. There was conflicting evidence that the USAF/ANG 2007 version of the bl.50 could both carry and launch 4 HARMs. We know that export versions of the F-16C can definitely launch 4 HARMs. Is the weapon restriction update based on the conflicting evidence of USAF/ANG loadouts or the fact that the F-16C can indeed launch 4 HARMs with the correct connections which, I'm guessing, the restriction idea is essentially simulating the mechanics wiring the umbilical cord.

I know it's unlikely that the AGM-84 is now in scope but thought I'd ask anyway. I also don't know which block version of the F-16 supports AGM-84.

The Harpoon is a weapon that isn’t in the USAF’s inventory and probably also not incorporated in the USAF F-16’s software, unlike export versions. They aren’t really comparable. ED has also said no on the Harpoon multiple times already

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

2 minutes ago, FoxOne007 said:

The Harpoon is a weapon that isn’t in the USAF’s inventory and probably also not incorporated in the USAF F-16’s software, unlike export versions. They aren’t really comparable. ED has also said no on the Harpoon multiple times already

Ah, I can see it was HAF that carried the AGM-84, at least once, on a bl50.

Thank you for clarifying.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2021 at 3:48 AM, Bricux said:

This isn't exactly a bug, so I'll post it here. A simple matter, in the DCS F-16 it is impossible to light the position lights (wing / tail) without the wing tip position lights (form lights). The wing tip lights are determined by the intensity of the wing / tail lights. I found a picture of USAF showing the Viper AAR in the mentioned light config (wingtip OFF and wing / tail ON).

150310-F-MG591-356.jpg

I think the intensity of the wingtip lights should not depend on the wing / tail lights. We should turn off the wingtip lights with the FORM LIGHTS intensity knob, leaving the wing / tail ON. Now it's impossible because You can use FORM knob dimmer with only wing / tail lights OFF.

LOL, sorry but that just a picture of poor maintenance. The upper right wingtip light is burnt out. if you look on the outboard side of the GBU in the photo you can see the reflection of the lower light working. and the dummy that installed the upper left wing tip lens didn't install the red bulb lens cover thats why it looks like an old mag light hue to the light bulb hahahah. the AAR lights are tied to the AAR door system. they come on day or night. 

Edited by Simba11

Am 10.9.2021 um 12:10 schrieb ColinM9991:

South korean F-16 support the AGM-84, it is not a block issue.

On 9/10/2021 at 6:10 PM, ColinM9991 said:

Taiwan's "block 20" can carry Harpoons too

news-15967089098846.png

Small question: Is the increased G-tolerance afforded by the F-16's seat angle & positive pressure oxygen mask planned to be represented at any point?

Noticed it wasn't on the roadmap, so was curious wether you (devs) actually consider it an issue?

Edited by Hummingbird
  • Like 5