AN/APG-68 V(9)? V(5)?

Bricux

From the moment of sending the new DCS: F-16C Viper Roadmap, the discussion on the elements that should or should not be included in the final product has started again.

There is nowhere, however, the topic of how the radar model will be placed on the plane. As we know, our F16 comes from around 2007, when the first V (9) radars were produced in 2002.

Why is it so important? The V (9) radar has the SAR capability. Synthetic-aperture radar is a form of radar that is used to create two-dimensional images or three-dimensional reconstructions of objects, such as landscapes in high resulution. What is important when working in A-G mode, which allows autonomous delivery of precision, all-weather, standoff weapons like JDAM or JSOW. 

• Like 1

Here I'm not so sure, information seems a little sparse.

According to this, we know the F-16CJ Block 50+/52+ has the AN/APG-68(V)9 (which seems to only be used by export customers), wiki also only mentions export customers for the V9.

The c:mano database says that we should have it (alongside AIM-120C-7 and GBU-54 LJDAM), though F-16.net disagrees and says GBU-54 LJDAM came on M6.1, whereas we have M5.1 M4.2+.

ED certainly say we should have the AN/APG-68(V)5, and it seems in this thread where there was an argument about it, where one person was saying that we should have the (V)9 and more people saying that we should have a (V)5, though not many (if any) sources being presented.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Thanks 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Northrop-Grumman has manufactured 150 AN/APG-68(V)9 advanced radars for six foreign customers and might manufacture up to 280 upgrade kits for the US Air Force F-16C/Ds. In March 2005, Northrop-Grumman was already working on the APG-68(V)10 model featuring automatic target cueing and new modes for large synthetic aperture radar (SAR) under a $40+ million development contract. The APG-68(V)10 radar system is intended for integration into 240 US Air Force F-16 Block 50/52 aircraft.

In July 2005, the US Air Force awarded Northrop-Grumman a three-year $52 million contract to finish developing of the APG-68(V)10 for the US Air Force 240 F-16C/D Block 50/52 fleet.

Source

F-16 block 30 AN/APG-68(V)10 radar upgrade

The budget request contained $155.7 million in PE 27133F 
for development of new capabilities for the F-16 series 
aircraft, of which $47.6 million would be for development of 
the AN/APG-68(V)10 radar for block 50 F-16 aircraft (...)

Source - NATIONAL DEFENSE AUTHORIZATION ACT FOR FISCAL YEAR 2006

Items of Special Interest

The conferees agree that the National Guard and Reserve 
equipment program shall be executed by the heads of the Guard 
and Reserve components with priority consideration for 
miscellaneous equipment appropriations given to the following 
items:(...) F-16 APG-68(V)9 (...)

Source - CONFERENCE REPORT 7. H. Rept. 108-622 — 108th Congress (2003-2004)

Edited by Bricux

“Might” and “intended” provides zero reference for if/when the USAF actually adopted the (v)9. Also the first link you provided isn’t a primary source and I don’t see any further references there to verify that information. 

your second source is also just a budget request for the development of the (v)10 and makes no indication of an IOC date. 

the third source just says priority consideration. Not even that it will be installed or when. 

not saying you’re wrong but the sources you provided are circumstantial at best. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mustang25 said:

“Might” and “intended” provides zero reference for if/when the USAF actually adopted the (v)9. Also the first link you provided isn’t a primary source and I don’t see any further references there to verify that information. 

your second source is also just a budget request for the development of the (v)10 and makes no indication of an IOC date. 

the third source just says priority consideration. Not even that it will be installed or when. 

not saying you’re wrong but the sources you provided are circumstantial at best. 

Yep, I was looking for data on specifically modernized aircraft or units where they were modernized, but from where I live, Google found nothing interesting except what I published. I would love to see the DCS F-16 with SAR.

• Like 1

ED has said numerous times was have a (V)5 in our F-16, and thats what they are modeling.

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

• 9 months later...

TO re-alive thread for a bit 🙂

So DCS`s F-16 is from 2007 right? So how come it is equiped with (V)5?

https://www.deagel.com/Sensor Systems/ANAPG-68/a001560

The radar currently doesn`t stand a chnage in some serious BVR engagement.  For example, JF-17`s SD-10 missile is practically on half way to F-16, when I can lock it up. Outstanding indeed. No chance what so ever.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I find it interesting that the APG 68 v5  has Enhanced ground Mode  ( sharpens the resolution of what would be the basic  Real Beam map) versus just plain old real beam mode, when ive found no reference of such a feature. ever being added to the V5 .

APG66 V2(A) which was an update of the apg66v2  of the F16A MLU  which references some sar like like A/G map features ( probably EGM) but i cant verify the same for V5. 

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

On 5/21/2022 at 12:50 AM, llOPPOTATOll said:

The USAF vipers dont use APG-68(v)9, they use the 68(v)5 or more recently the APG-83.

Pretty sure the USAF F-16s are using a combination of the APG-68 (v9) and (v10) variants. They are planning to move to the new SABR radar, that is correct.

F/A-18C; A-10C; F-14B; Mirage 2000C; A-4E; F-16C; Flaming Cliffs 3

Pretty sure the USAF F-16s are using a combination of the APG-68 (v9) and (v10) variants. They are planning to move to the new SABR radar, that is correct.

USAF doesnt use APG-68(v)9 they use the APG-68(v)1 and the (v)5, only export vipers have the (v)9. Recently the USAF is updating to the APG-83

• 2 months later...
On 5/20/2022 at 6:28 PM, Kev2go said:

I find it interesting that the APG 68 v5  has Enhanced ground Mode  ( sharpens the resolution of what would be the basic  Real Beam map) versus just plain old real beam mode, when ive found no reference of such a feature. ever being added to the V5 .

APG66 V2(A) which was an update of the apg66v2  of the F16A MLU  which references some sar like like A/G map features ( probably EGM) but i cant verify the same for V5. 

looking further into this... I found some F16A MLU documents.  M1 tape dated 1998 documents APG66 V2 A/G modes which has EGM. but a F16C blk 50 1997 dash 34 using Apg68 v5, does not.

Me thinks ED is filling in some blanks for a F16CM using F16A MLU documentation

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD