Latitude Coordinates - the extra digit

jonsky7

Because it makes all parts of the notation line up for both axes, making it easier to use the same draw function and formatting string, and because it also provides a very quick visual differentiation between the two? Ask the engineers at Garmin.

Or, more crucially for this forum: because the real thing does.

This isn't really a bug or a problem — it's an engineering design choice on the manufacturer's part, most likely related to how they had to create a very robust system on mid-'90s integrated hardware.

Edited by Tippis

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

On 8/3/2021 at 9:47 PM, Tippis said:

Because it makes all parts of the notation line up for both axes, making it easier to use the same draw function and formatting string, and because it also provides a very quick visual differentiation between the two? Ask the engineers at Garmin.

Or, more crucially for this forum: because the real thing does.

This isn't really a bug or a problem — it's an engineering design choice on the manufacturer's part, most likely related to how they had to create a very robust system on mid-'90s integrated hardware.

Crucially the real thing does not. There's a difference between the real thing and DCS,

The picture above is from the Garmin manual

The game looks like this

There is an extra 0 after the N in the position box, the latitude coordinate. In the real thing there is a blank space.

PSX_20210804_153004.jpg

Edited by jonsky7

And before it's worth worrying about any possible missing or additional digits, it kind of needs to… you know… work. Since none of the advertised features of the module are functional at the moment, and haven't done so in the last 3 years or so, a single digit potentially being off is not particularly relevant or high priority. 😄 

Ok, that's a bit unfair. It can receive a GPS signal, and it can show a moving map (with the detail level of 1990s ANSI-code graphics).

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

I dont seem to have too much trouble navigating using it. I can enter an airfield ICAO code and get directions, and use position entry to get to a desired coordinate with reasonable success.

I have seen the issue regarding true/mag heading, but maybe I don't suffer from it as much as I mainly use it when flying heli's, and they're normally flying sideways anyway 😁.

It's a picky bug yeah, i was just curious why they would put the extra digit in there in the first place.