IFOLS (On Carrier) Too Blurry in VR Light Bloom

CypherBlue

Hello all, in VR I run medium high settings get great visuals and FPS on my Reverb G2. But I have noticed on final to the deck I have to use the IFOLS popup to see the Ball. The IFOLS on the carrier is too blurry from the light bloom around it. Either during the day or at night. It just makes it harder if I am trying to look through the HUD and also at the Pop Up on the side to keep the right approach profile. I know you can drag the. IFOLS pop up over but I dont have time to let go of the controls to do that. Anyone have any suggestions? 

• Like 2

I recently got the G2 (first VR headset) and I agree, the IFLOLS blooms too much in VR. I don't know how to help with that, but you can turn the pop-up off in the Special Options, in the Options menu. If that doesn't work (because that setting is often bugged), go to \Mods\tech\Supercarrier\PLATCameraUI\, open FLOLS.lua with a text editor, go to line 41 and change    

FLOLS:setVisible(val)

to    

FLOLS:setVisible(false)

That'll disable it for good.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

• 2 weeks later...

Finally someone else addressing the same issue. The carrier IFLOLS is difficult to read.

Some of my observations:

• Turning of bloom effect does NOT help.
  • IFLOLS on legacy carriers have better readability than supper carriers.
  • The higher the resolution, the better IFLOLS display quality. I am having a better experience in G2 than Rift S.
  • But Case III is still a nightmare. IFLOLS is giant lantern until the last 1/4 mile.
  • Two things I don't like about the IFLOLS pop up: 1) It's too far away from center line 2) It's too bright in Case III. So I keep it off.
  • It's actually a lighting issue in general. Position light on planes is also awful at night. The plane is literally a moon sized lantern at 10 miles away. It's almost like the size of lighted area does not shrink while pulling camera away. If the light illuminates 10 pixels at 1 mile distance, it will still take up 10 pixels at 5 miles. That makes you think the light source is gigantic.
  • The way lighting effect is modeled is not limited to VR. If you watch some flat screen videos closely (like screenshot below from Wag's Mi-24 video), it becomes very obvious. I get it that there will be some kind of bloom effect in real life, but this is just too much in game. Why not just make the light bulb itself super bright instead of making the air shine like this?

@BIGNEWYI hope I am providing something useful here in case someone at ED also wants to improve it.

image.png

Edited by Dr. Anti-Vehicle
  • Like 3

Wish the Meatball was like the PDL lights of the KC-135. Less dim (although people complain of the low dim of the PDL).

In VR, as stated, it´s blurry.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

• 2 weeks later...
Finally someone else addressing the same issue. The carrier IFLOLS is difficult to read.

Some of my observations:
  • Turning of bloom effect does NOT help.
  • IFLOLS on legacy carriers have better readability than supper carriers.
  • The higher the resolution, the better IFLOLS display quality. I am having a better experience in G2 than Rift S.
  • But Case III is still a nightmare. IFLOLS is giant lantern until the last 1/4 mile.
  • Two things I don't like about the IFLOLS pop up: 1) It's too far away from center line 2) It's too bright in Case III. So I keep it off.
  • It's actually a lighting issue in general. Position light on planes is also awful at night. The plane is literally a moon sized lantern at 10 miles away. It's almost like the size of lighted area does not shrink while pulling camera away. If the light illuminates 10 pixels at 1 mile distance, it will still take up 10 pixels at 5 miles. That makes you think the light source is gigantic.
  • The way lighting effect is modeled is not limited to VR. If you watch some flat screen videos closely (like screenshot below from Wag's Mi-24 video), it becomes more apparent. I get it that there will be some kind of bloom effect in real life, but this is just too much in game. Why not just make the light bulb itself super bright instead of making the air shine like this?
@BIGNEWYI hope I am providing something useful here in case someone at ED also wants to improve it.

image.png.8598011068de40367621659230b122a0.png
Agree with everything. This is general problem with how light sources are handled in DCS. Various modules have the fake bloom effect present in different quantities, but for some modules such as the Hornet and the SC, it's overused to a ridiculous degree.

They'd be better off removing the fake bloom completely and instead making the light source brighter and only using real, direction-based bloom, which is already present in DCS. There is no need for these fake halo effects.
  • Like 5

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/1/2021 at 5:30 PM, Harker said:

Agree with everything. This is general problem with how light sources are handled in DCS. Various modules have the fake bloom effect present in different quantities, but for some modules such as the Hornet and the SC, it's overused to a ridiculous degree.

They'd be better off removing the fake bloom completely and instead making the light source brighter and only using real, direction-based bloom, which is already present in DCS. There is no need for these fake halo effects.

Totally agree with you.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

• 3 weeks later...